Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hiatal hernia repair and lapband on Sept 20th...

Woohoo...its done. At times I feel amazing and others, not so great. I am trying to figure out if my pain is related to band or hernia repair. My incisions are fine, left shoulder pain is extensive but comes and goes. Md related that to manipulating my diaphragm.

I feel so tight in my throat at times and though i am not prone to panic, i can see how one likes this to shortness of breath. I walk often with little discomfort, but im pouring sweat with activity....

I take gasx , walk, and use liquid morphine once or twice a day. Today, my gas is Awful but i can't pass any...is this normal?

I am loving my full liquid options but am so full so easy... crazy!!!!

I guess im just wondering if some of this is related to the hernia repair (didn't know i needed one) or from band?

others feel tight, gassy without relieve, easily exerted and no bowel movement in 6 days?????

I've been lurking on this board for a few months and finally decided to join after I read your post. I also had the band and hernia repair (woo hoo! No more GERD!) on the 20th, and I have just about the same issues as you. I honestly hadn't even thought about the fact that the hernia repair might be causing some of the pain. I guess I've been so focused on the band itself. Today has been much better all around, though. It was the first day I was allowed full liquids rather than just clears, and I'm loving it! And I went shopping with my daughter for a few hours which felt great! I also don't really feel hungry. I'm guessing that'll change in a couple of weeks, right? So far, this has been one of the best decisions of my life. You?

I had hernia repair with my band too but I dont think theres any way to tell which is causing you pain. I thought I had a complete reflux cure but it did come back for a few weeks or even months when I got fills that gave me restriction...it was ALL worth it! Good luck1

annnmariee,

I am so happy with my surgical desicion. Today i woke up feeling almost 90% myself. I do tire out a little easier however, zero regrets. I think its awesome we had surgery on the same day. I LOVE the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury flavored Protein. simple low sodium beef broth with the Protein added was heaven today...lol. It has been my best purchase thus far. I like the chike flavors and loving the jellos with flavored protein.

I plan in calling Md regarding Constipation tomorrow. TMI ...LOL. Honestly, today was a great day and I am so ready for this journey.....

I too had a hiatal hernia repair with my band surgery and I think that the pain you are feeling is from the hernia repair, not the band. My surgeon said that really you should not feel the band. My pain was definitely from the repair. It was intense at times. Glad that's over! Good luck with your journey.

Ro-Jae, thanks for the words of encouragement!

Jmar,the nurse had me start on milk of magnesia today. Fingers crossed! I also think that might be a major reason for my discomfort -- everything smashing together inside.

I too had a haital hernia repair with the lap band on Sept 13th, 2011. Like you all - NO REGRETS - If it wasn't for that, I would have the hernia repaired. I go back to my doctor on the 28th to take the staples out and weigh. That is 2 weeks post-op and my goal was to hit below 240 (252 on day of surgery) and right now I am at 237.

I have had a couple of set backs because I have done too much. I have a history of asthma and in the hospital I couldn't breathe because of the horrible pain near my lungs. I read where people with just lap band seem to get better faster so I am thinking the pain must be coming from the hernia repair. Did any of you have difficulty coughing? That junk from the anesthesia settled in my lungs and I have now been sick for a few days strangling on coughing that junk up.

It took me 8 days before I had a BM....2 days taking Miralax 3 times. It's because of the pain meds and your tummy was empty for surgery. I put almost a full cap of Miralax in my Protein drink. It doesn't taste or is nasty. Another thing I did was mix my Protein Drink with fat free milk. Since milk is a solid food in the stomach....it moves it all down!! :)

I would like to know where to buy the unjury Protein Mixes??? Do you have a website or store? I'll have to say I have NO prob whatsoever with the Protein drinks and so glad to find some bandsters with the same.

Best of Luck to all of you!!!

Marebeth, I think the pain is pretty much gone for me. Like you, I had a little problem with coughing the first few days, but that's gone. I'm so glad you mentioned the pain meds because I was just thinking today that they might be the problem. My biggest (and really only) complaint now is the really full/bloated feeling. Did your doctor mention anything about dealing with the hernia repair? Mine didn't say a word. It's been all about band recovery.

hey guys.... i went to surgeon today! He is awesome!!! He drew me some pretty detailed pics to help me visualize where the Persia futures were in relation to the band. I started on miralax and when that works he suggested adding beneffiber to my Protein.

I am just bloated now and that's my only complaint. I still feel a tightness/fullness just at my hernia repair. I guess it makes sense, he said that lasted a few weeks with the repair but banded repairs can feel restriction longer. I guess that's just part of it.

The Protein unjury has a website. i think unjury.com? I made mire hi protein Jello today... peach! unimaginable good. lol

Here is to hoping we all feel less bloated and have more great days on this journey.... p.s. I lost 9lbs since surgery.... My surgeon pointed out i want to lose 100 lbs so technically i have lost 9% of my unwanted weight.... 9% sure sounds better.....

man, i need to proof read.... my phone throws words together.... i meant hernia sutures. not Persia futures. lmbo

Hi! Everyone I am new to the site. I have been on the supervised weight loss for 6 mo and now I am getting close to ending my journey. My surgery date is set for Oct. 17. I too am having my lap band with a hiatal hernia and also an unbilical hernia repair. I am so new to all of this stuff. I don't know what to expect and am scared about after surgery and the pain,my emotions,and the new me. Does anyone who has already been through this offer me any encouragement. I look forward to sharing this journey with you.:rolleyes:

Jmar- I looked at Persia futures - my first thought is iPhone speller - don't ya love it!! I have done that and got some crazy word combos.

As for the bloatedness - Are you taking Prevacid for acid in the stomach? It will help - my hubby forgot to give it to me, and so did I - two days later I had so much air and burping then I took it and it calmed down. I go to my doctor tomorrow for my first post-op - I'm going to talk to him about my hernia too and about the Fiber.

My only struggle now is getting enough fluids in my daily count. My doctor says 48-64oz of fluids and I am getting to 36-40 and no more. I keeping trying to work at it, get busy and lag on it.

Think I'll try unjury down the road - I got so much now I'm set for a month or more.That Peach sounds great!!!

hey guys.... i went to surgeon today! He is awesome!!! He drew me some pretty detailed pics to help me visualize where the Persia futures were in relation to the band. I started on miralax and when that works he suggested adding beneffiber to my Protein.

I am just bloated now and that's my only complaint. I still feel a tightness/fullness just at my hernia repair. I guess it makes sense, he said that lasted a few weeks with the repair but banded repairs can feel restriction longer. I guess that's just part of it.

The Protein Unjury has a website. i think unjury.com? I made mire hi protein Jello today... peach! unimaginable good. lol

Here is to hoping we all feel less bloated and have more great days on this journey.... p.s. I lost 9lbs since surgery.... My surgeon pointed out i want to lose 100 lbs so technically i have lost 9% of my unwanted weight.... 9% sure sounds better.....

how can you know if you have a hernia ?? pls

Sometimes uncontrollable heartburn can be a clue but its not definite. Mine was seen on CT scan I had for something else.

how can you know if you have a hernia ?? pls