Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Banded - Sliming? PB? Gas Pain?

Hey all,

This is my first time on this forum, and I'm so glad I found it!

I just got banded this past Wednesday. I'm having 2 problems I want some opinions on - or maybe just to know it's normal.

My saliva is... really slimy. Like thicker than normal. Which as I read, I guess is normal... but it usually seems to be related to food being stuck? All I've had is Water since my surgery.

I also have gas pain in my stomach that won't go away - I feel like I really need to burp but I can't. Finally I'll heave a bit (like I'm going to vomit) and then I have what I think is called a PB (Productive Burp?) and I puke up a bit of this super-slimy saliva that I guess has been sitting at the top of my stomach...

The gas gets painful enough that I can't drink... I try to force myself to at least have water to keep hydrated, but if I haven't *just* had a PB, then the pressure just builds up and I end up vomiting it all up anyway....

I did go in yesterday and they took out the prime saline, so my band is currently empty... but I still haven't been able to have anything other than water and it's been 3 days...

Suggestions? Is this normal? What helped you with the gas pain?

Moving around helps with the gas. Move around in the house, don't just sit in one spot. You need to get up every half hour or so. I don't know about the slime thing. I was on full liquids when I came home. Sip slowly, it takes a long time to drink a glass of Water when you first start out. If doc says you should be on Clear Liquids then you need to try some broth or maybe some warm tea. Your tummy wants something in there,

Moving around helps with the gas. Move around in the house, don't just sit in one spot. You need to get up every half hour or so. I don't know about the slime thing. I was on full liquids when I came home. Sip slowly, it takes a long time to drink a glass of Water when you first start out. If doc says you should be on Clear Liquids then you need to try some broth or maybe some warm tea. Your tummy wants something in there,

Thanks! I'll try moving around more. I've only really been drinking cold water... maybe something warm would help...

Hey all,

This is my first time on this forum, and I'm so glad I found it!

I just got banded this past Wednesday. I'm having 2 problems I want some opinions on - or maybe just to know it's normal.

My saliva is... really slimy. Like thicker than normal. Which as I read, I guess is normal... but it usually seems to be related to food being stuck? All I've had is Water since my surgery.

I also have gas pain in my stomach that won't go away - I feel like I really need to burp but I can't. Finally I'll heave a bit (like I'm going to vomit) and then I have what I think is called a PB (Productive Burp?) and I puke up a bit of this super-slimy saliva that I guess has been sitting at the top of my stomach...

The gas gets painful enough that I can't drink... I try to force myself to at least have Water to keep hydrated, but if I haven't *just* had a PB, then the pressure just builds up and I end up vomiting it all up anyway....

I did go in yesterday and they took out the prime saline, so my band is currently empty... but I still haven't been able to have anything other than water and it's been 3 days...

Suggestions? Is this normal? What helped you with the gas pain?

I am in the same boat. Got banded Wed, and have had pbing and frothing. I almost think that it is my pain meds on an empty stomach. I'm going to give them up tomorrow and see if that doesn't help. I can't even get a sip of water without burping. Sorry i can't be of more help :(

Warm tea or Decaf coffee always helps me. The only thing that worked for my gas pain was a heating pad......it was wonderful! Congratulations on joining the banded!

I am in the same boat. Got banded Wed, and have had pbing and frothing. I almost think that it is my pain meds on an empty stomach. I'm going to give them up tomorrow and see if that doesn't help. I can't even get a sip of Water without burping. Sorry i can't be of more help :(

I went off my pain meds yesterday and it did help the frothing... but no luck with the other stuff...

I went off my pain meds yesterday and it did help the frothing... but no luck with the other stuff...

I called the PA tonight and he gave me a different kind of nausea medicine. Also, I've been reading to just take 2 teaspoons of liquid at a time wait about 15 minutes and then some more. I've gotten down about 2 ounces of Protein shake so far with little to no bping. You might try that!

Yep what she said.

Sip some Warm tea s l o w l e y ! once it stays down don't drink anything else to overload it, because you are probably swollen from the un-fill. That means fluids for 3 days.

But be Gentle on yourself, and just sip every now and then. Don't worry about the Protein, or Water, as long as your getting some in you will be good for a few days. When it straitens out then you can resume your Fluid intake.

If you can't sip Tea or Soup, ,, call your Doctor.

Warm tea or Decaf coffee always helps me. The only thing that worked for my gas pain was a heating pad......it was wonderful! Congratulations on joining the banded!

I'll definitely have to try a heating pad... How long did it take for the gas pains to subside?

Yep what she said.

Sip some Warm tea s l o w l e y ! once it stays down don't drink anything else to overload it, because you are probably swollen from the un-fill. That means fluids for 3 days.

But be Gentle on yourself, and just sip every now and then. Don't worry about the Protein, or Water, as long as your getting some in you will be good for a few days. When it straitens out then you can resume your Fluid intake.

If you can't sip Tea or Soup, ,, call your Doctor.

Thanks! I can sip tea, Water, and broth, and I had a glass of apple-juice today. I just feel so bloated and full and uncomfortable... tomorrow will be 4 days without anything of substance in me - I guess I need to try watering down my Protein shake?

Thanks! I can sip tea, Water, and broth, and I had a glass of apple-juice today. I just feel so bloated and full and uncomfortable... tomorrow will be 4 days without anything of substance in me - I guess I need to try watering down my Protein Shake?

Yep ! You can thin in out, and still the same amount of Protein goes in you.

Just take it easy...

Because if you start swelling up from overload, and throw up. Then you have to start counting that 3 day fast all over again.

You don't want to do that . Trust me,, I been there..

Shirley

I got banded on Monday. Didn't have anything like that happen. But I agree that walking around and heat pad give the most gas relief. I also think the warm liquids help. I actually like warm broth. Who would have thunk?

Congrats. Your on your way to a new life, both of you...

Welcome to the other side of the Tracks.

Shirley.

Also (for the other post) some people say GAS X strips help. So,,, it's a thought.

Glad to hear it's staying down, and it gets better.....

Just thought I'd update that today I was able to drink a full glass of Water at a *relatively* normal pace :) I also actually felt hungry for the first time so ventured my Protein Shake - and got the whole thing down without watering it out!! When I felt a little bloaty and uncomfortable after, I did a few laps around my livingroom and felt way better. No PBs at all today! Huge success :)

Just thought I'd update that today I was able to drink a full glass of Water at a *relatively* normal pace :) I also actually felt hungry for the first time so ventured my Protein Shake - and got the whole thing down without watering it out!! When I felt a little bloaty and uncomfortable after, I did a few laps around my livingroom and felt way better. No PBs at all today! Huge success :)

Glad to hear it. Take it slow and it will come :D