Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow I will be one week post surgery. I'm still having to take pain meds about once a day. I've been trying not to but it seems with housework, seeing after the kids, and just life in general that the pain just gets to me about mid afternoon and if I don't take something for the pain I turn in the cracken (is that how you spell it? You know, the beast from the sea in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.) I guess this has me a bit down. I was expecting to be pain-free by now and back to my normal energy level self. I go back to work tomorrow and I'm really not sure I'm ready, but I know my boss is going to be seriously ticked off if I'm not back at work. She was seriously ticked off when I told her three weeks in advance that I was having the surgery and would be taking a week off. I am also having some hunger issues here and there and I know its probably another 3 weeks until a fill. Aren't I supposed to be all happy and thrilled? I don't regret having the procedure done. I guess I just expected to feel normal again and I don't. Plus my need for sleep has increased as well. Even when I don't take pain meds I'm finding myself dozing off and taking a nap. Anybody else suffer the post-band blues?

I really hope that you feel better. If you need more days, I would take them. Don't push yourself beyond your means.

Tomorrow I will be one week post surgery. I'm still having to take pain meds about once a day. I've been trying not to but it seems with housework, seeing after the kids, and just life in general that the pain just gets to me about mid afternoon and if I don't take something for the pain I turn in the cracken (is that how you spell it? You know, the beast from the sea in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.) I guess this has me a bit down. I was expecting to be pain-free by now and back to my normal energy level self. I go back to work tomorrow and I'm really not sure I'm ready, but I know my boss is going to be seriously ticked off if I'm not back at work. She was seriously ticked off when I told her three weeks in advance that I was having the surgery and would be taking a week off. I am also having some hunger issues here and there and I know its probably another 3 weeks until a fill. Aren't I supposed to be all happy and thrilled? I don't regret having the procedure done. I guess I just expected to feel normal again and I don't. Plus my need for sleep has increased as well. Even when I don't take pain meds I'm finding myself dozing off and taking a nap. Anybody else suffer the post-band blues?

Karma,

You just had surgery a week ago and you are healing. Some take longer than others to heal, especially when they have: housework and kids. Ideally, you should be resting, but it doesn't sound like you are getting a lot of that. Take your pain pills when you can, pamper yourself as much as you can and, avail yourself of ALL help offered by friends and family. I had my family waiting on me hand and foot. LOL My kids are big (at the time 19 and 20) and my sister came to stay a few nights. I didn't really need much help, but I accepted it cuz surgery can wear you out! LOL

I had surgery on Monday and went back to work half day on Friday. I was really glad it was half day because I was pooped when I left at noon. By Monday I was feeling better. Fortunately, my workload wasn't bad. It has to be pretty hard on you to have (small?) children to care for while you are trying to recover from surgery. Please remember that if you don't take good care of yourself, you won't be able to take good care of them. :)

As for your boss being angry, well, I understand your anxiety, what with the economy being what it is today. But, the bottom line here is that you have to put your health first. Don't worry about how angry your boss is, she will probably give you a chilly reception when you return since she wasn't happy that you were going to be off for week in the first place. Remember that you had this surgery so that you can have a healthier future. Don't let her atitude make you anxious. There are going to be a LOT of people that aren't going to be ... hmmmm ... let's say "happy" when you lose weight. People are just like that. So don't give others a thought (beginning with your boss), just try to keep your head up and remember the bright future ahead for you and your family.

Be sure to wear something loose so there won't be pressure at your port site. Hopefully that will keep the pain at bay. Hunger is a part of the process for many. Be sure to stay hydrated -- very important. I imagine your are still on a liquid/semi liquid diet so be sure to get plenty of Protein, it should help with the hunger. Also, be sure to take Vitamins -- good ones. If you must go back to work tomorrow, try to get a good night sleep tonight and have everything prepared (nourishment-wise) so your day runs as smoothly as possible.

Good luck to you. Let us know how your day goes.

It gets better.

~fran

it took me 8 days before the serious pain stopped, and 2 full weeks before i felt "normal" again. i couldnt have gone back to work after just 7 days and all i do is sit at a desk. you're only one week post-op! you will probably be hungry for a while, it's frustrating but once you get through the initial month it will all seem much, much easier. tho i feel you on that post-op blues, period. mine just happens to be hitting me 2 months post op instead of 1 week. hang in there :)

Thank God, I'm not the only one! I have two jobs, actually. I'm a nurse (that's not the job I'm worried about. ) And I'm also an apprentice dog groomer. THAT'S the one I'm worried about. Even though my doctor has given me a 10lb weight limit on lifting the dogs, it can be pretty quick paced and most days I work an 8 hour day without a break (I usually don't mind because its something I do really enjoy doing but it IS a physically demanding job). Not all dogs are agreeable to a bath and a blow dry. Go figure. I plan on taking my shakes with me to keep up with my Protein intake and sip on them throughout the day. But if the pain starts kicking in and I pop a pain pill there's really no telling what kind of a "do" those dogs are going to end up with.

it took me 8 days before the serious pain stopped, and 2 full weeks before i felt "normal" again. i couldnt have gone back to work after just 7 days and all i do is sit at a desk. you're only one week post-op! you will probably be hungry for a while, it's frustrating but once you get through the initial month it will all seem much, much easier. tho i feel you on that post-op blues, period. mine just happens to be hitting me 2 months post op instead of 1 week. hang in there :)

Karma,

You just had surgery a week ago and you are healing. Some take longer than others to heal, especially when they have: housework and kids. Ideally, you should be resting, but it doesn't sound like you are getting a lot of that. Take your pain pills when you can, pamper yourself as much as you can and, avail yourself of ALL help offered by friends and family. I had my family waiting on me hand and foot. LOL My kids are big (at the time 19 and 20) and my sister came to stay a few nights. I didn't really need much help, but I accepted it cuz surgery can wear you out! LOL

I had surgery on Monday and went back to work half day on Friday. I was really glad it was half day because I was pooped when I left at noon. By Monday I was feeling better. Fortunately, my workload wasn't bad. It has to be pretty hard on you to have (small?) children to care for while you are trying to recover from surgery. Please remember that if you don't take good care of yourself, you won't be able to take good care of them. :)

As for your boss being angry, well, I understand your anxiety, what with the economy being what it is today. But, the bottom line here is that you have to put your health first. Don't worry about how angry your boss is, she will probably give you a chilly reception when you return since she wasn't happy that you were going to be off for week in the first place. Remember that you had this surgery so that you can have a healthier future. Don't let her atitude make you anxious. There are going to be a LOT of people that aren't going to be ... hmmmm ... let's say "happy" when you lose weight. People are just like that. So don't give others a thought (beginning with your boss), just try to keep your head up and remember the bright future ahead for you and your family.

Be sure to wear something loose so there won't be pressure at your port site. Hopefully that will keep the pain at bay. Hunger is a part of the process for many. Be sure to stay hydrated -- very important. I imagine your are still on a liquid/semi liquid diet so be sure to get plenty of Protein, it should help with the hunger. Also, be sure to take Vitamins -- good ones. If you must go back to work tomorrow, try to get a good night sleep tonight and have everything prepared (nourishment-wise) so your day runs as smoothly as possible.

Good luck to you. Let us know how your day goes.

It gets better.

~fran

You took the words right out of my mouth. This could not have been said any better.