Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Empty lap band no slip can't tolerate food

Hi all. About 6 weeks ago I noticed out of nowhere that my band was too tight. I had an unfill and after 2 weeks was still too tight. Went in for another unfill and they completely drained my band. I had an upper GI series on Monday that showed my band has not slipped. I still can't tolerate even the smallest solid food. has anyone one had this problem? The dr said I should be able to eat like I don't have a band (I obviously don't want to lol!) but after 2-3 tiny bites of baked tilapia I'm in the bathroom heaving. I don't know what to do! Thanks for you help!

There was a girl Mandy on here that was having the same problem. She ended up having surgery again to explore and see what the problem was. Unfortunately she ended up having an infection at her band and had to have it removed. Hopefully not your case, but it's something to question

Hi all. About 6 weeks ago I noticed out of nowhere that my band was too tight. I had an unfill and after 2 weeks was still too tight. Went in for another unfill and they completely drained my band. I had an upper GI series on Monday that showed my band has not slipped. I still can't tolerate even the smallest solid food. has anyone one had this problem? The dr said I should be able to eat like I don't have a band (I obviously don't want to lol!) but after 2-3 tiny bites of baked tilapia I'm in the bathroom heaving. I don't know what to do! Thanks for you help!

my advice would be to get another xray, u should not be heaving, what does your Dr think?

So the upper GI showed nothing... does your doctor have any ideas? I'm hoping he's not just leaving you high and dry, that's not normal-- does ANY solid food bother you?

They first thought my allergies were the cause. I have never experienced vomiting from allergies, but I figured they know what they are doing. They seem kind of confused now too. They thought I'd feel better after the unfill, but it brought no relief. I had been on a liquid diet for weeks, so when they called to give me the results of my upper GI they said to try to eat something solid. So I made tilapia for dinner, I was able to tolerate it before and it's soft so I figured it was a good "first meal". I'm supposed to call them tomorrow and report my intolerance and schedule an appointment with my surgeon.

Thanks for the story about Mandy. I hope I don't have an infection! I don't feel sick in any other way, but who knows!

Thanks for your quick responses!!

Well seeing as how the band seems to be all mostly physiological due to it sending messages to your hypothalamus, there is a chance that your psyching yourself into being sick when you eat, just like a person with anorexia does.

You should set yourself up immediately with an appointment with the psychologist that should have been assigned to you by your surgeon's staff. Also talk to your surgeon about whether it could just be a psychological thing if they continue to find nothing wrong with you. Some surgeons don't even seem to really know THEMSELVES how it really works.

The last thing you want to happen is for the band to give you an eating disorder like a person with anorexia.

On the other hand, if the band is working that powerfully for you, you may be one of the lucky ones who only needs it there to work and not ever have to go to the extent of having it filled...or at least for a long time until your goal weight.

Read this link that another Bander posted. It's seriously the best information I have ever seen or heard on LAP-BAND.

The Lap-band is NOT about Restriction

NOTE: you may have to copy and paste the link below into your browser. For some reason the above link does not want to work....

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Edited by singingpeaches

Thank you so much! I will schedule an appointment with my psychologist as well. I haven't even considered that as an option. Thanks for the link as well. I'll look at it now!

Disneymom, FYI, there is a big difference between something being neurological (how the band works) and psychological. I think you are better off seeing your doctor. I doubt the problem is mental.

Disneymom, You might find some others with similar symptoms over at ObesityHelp.com in the lapband forum. Please post there too and see if you get some responses. I wish I could offer more help than that.

I also agree with Sistersue, while seeing the psychologist probably wouldn't hurt anything, I think seeing the surgeon first would be the best idea.

Did they check it at all under Fluoroscopy? That will tell everything.

There is a possibility that you are sensitive, or maybe still swollen. Because when your empty, that band is very sloppy, and anything can get hung up on it. Stay on liquids for 3 days, then slowly try mushies. Even if you have to eat standing up, so it goes straight down, and doesn't get hung up. If it gets a little hung up, slowly swallow some warm Water to rinse it down. If you keep getting hung up, and keep chasing it with warm Water and it works. Then you know it's because your deflated.

I know,,,, I been there.

A barium swallow under fluoroscopy will tell more than most other tests. Ask for that. It will show the band's position, your stomach's position, how Fluid moves through, if it's getting caught on something, and more.

I am going through the same thing. I have had the band for about a year and a half, a few months after I had the band placed I started having intolerance to food and liquids, I could barely eat, some day were better then others. About a month ago, I woke up one Saturday, and I could not hold down food or liquids, I went to the ER, and they found that the band had slipped, I had surgery a few days later and corrected the slip, I felt great after the surgery, but now I am having the same trouble again. I have been feeling a lot of restriction and food get stuck all the time. I just want to let everyone know, I have not had a fill since day one with this band, I feel this way, with an empty band. I don't know what to do anymore, I really don't want to lose the band, I am so afraid of gaining the weight back. Any thoughts or input will be appreciated....

Have you seen your surgeon lately.... That is a start, maybe they can figure it out.

food shouldn't get stuck all the time. Either you are too tight or not eating right. Plus something's you just can't eat. I can't eat bread, and all meats take tiny tiny bites and a lot of chewing for me.