Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am failing at this and I have only myself to blame. I was banded on Dec 13, 2010 and have only lost 30 lbs. And most of that was at the beginning...and the worst part is that I know I have only myself to blame. I have had maybe...4 fills? Anyway, I'm almost at my max. I just need some encouraging words for getting back on track and making good food choices. That's my biggest problem. I can eat Pasta all day long without it giving me any problems so thats what I eat most of the time. *sigh* I just have to get control....and it's not easy.

I'm the same way. I was banded in March 2011 and down 20 lbs. I have had 2 fills, (which were pretty big) 1st fill 5cc's, 2nd fill- 2.5 cc's. Total of 7.5 in an 11cc band. I can eat anything but pork meat and I am always hungry. I go for my third fill this coming Monday. Don't know what to expect anymore.

Neither of you are failures BAD choice of words.:o You are just having a plataeu :) I would think you should both see your nutrionalist to discuss how you may change things uop to have better weight loss. Remmeber you need to burn more calories each week than you consume. Protein is your freind ..gives you energy and keeps you full longer. Carbs all day like Pasta will be your enemy they turn into sugar as well. Maybe if you start fresh and do Protein Shakes and liquids fr a couple of days it will help you get back on track. You may need to have another fill or a decrease in fill to help reach your green zone. I am no expert by any means (just banded myself) but hope this helps. Keep your chin up and know you have support and can do this :D

I am failing at this and I have only myself to blame. I was banded on Dec 13, 2010 and have only lost 30 lbs. And most of that was at the beginning...and the worst part is that I know I have only myself to blame. I have had maybe...4 fills? Anyway, I'm almost at my max. I just need some encouraging words for getting back on track and making good food choices. That's my biggest problem. I can eat Pasta all day long without it giving me any problems so thats what I eat most of the time. *sigh* I just have to get control....and it's not easy.

Holly, if your fill level is really high and you're still having problems based on choices-- it might be a good time to start seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. It sounds like you've identified your mental space as the problem-- so the best solution would be to get some help so that you can better work WITH your band instead of against it.

I tend to agree that it's the food choices we make. I have not lost any weight since pre op diet. I started keeping a food log on my fitpal.com. I was 1200 calories a day and stayed well within that range. I treated myself to mcdonalds low fat cones (my trigger food - can't have it in the house). I took it with me to my PA who does the fills. She moved the calories to 900-1000. I am eating oatmeal for Breakfast w/protein powder in it. Her theory is under 100 c is a snack anything over is a meal. I have to give up the ice cream. All of my Snacks have to have Protein. She did a fill and I honestly do not feel the hunger pangs for the first time. I pretty much live on Greek yogurt, Friendship cottage cheese, chicken & fish - no potatoes, rice, bread or Pasta. I hope that I start to lose some weight. This is definitely difficult. - Don't give up. Just keep changing your diet and trying different things.

Holly, Pasta is not a great choice for weight loss. Several things make it a poor choice, the high caloric sauces that are often served with it (cheese sauce, cream sauce, meat sauce ~ when made with high fat meat~) are one thing. Another reason is that pasta is high glycemic. This means that it tends to send lots of sugar into our blood stream.. during this time we feel really good, then when the blood sugar drops, we're hungrier than we were in the first place.

Do some reading on the Glycemic Index http://www.glycemicindex.com is a great place to start (they're based in Sidney Australia, so some of their terms and foods will be unfamiliar, but the basic information is sound).

Other foods that are high glycemic and should be eliminated, if possible are white bread, white potatoes and white rice. There are things to use in their place. I use Quinoa (pronounced Keen-Wah) instead of rice. Quinoa is a high Protein grain from South America. It doesn't taste the same, but it works well in stuffed peppers in place of rice. If you must have potatoes, there are lower glycemic options. Red or Purple potatoes aren't as bad for us as white potatoes. I still wouldn't eat a bunch of them, but a golf ball size one or two occasionally fits into my plan. Sweet potatoes are an even better choice. If you must have bread, use a whole grain bread. I keep a loaf of Ezekiel bread (no wheat flour in it) in my freezer and have a slice every great now and then.

For pasta, I use spaghetti squash or I grate Zucchini. If I need flat noodles, I slice zucchini long ways. Yes, I sometimes miss the taste of real pasta and sometimes use Dreamfield's pasta. The less you cook pasta, the lower it will be on the glycemic index.. so cook it Al Dente.

If you can wean yourself off of these high glycemic foods (pasta, rice, bread, potatoes), you should see a change in your hunger levels. It won't be easy and you won't see a change right away. It may take 3 days if you go off them cold turkey.. longer if you wean yourself off.

The band works best with Lean dense solid Protein. If you're too tight to eat that, you're too tight. I know.. seems contradictory. Tighten the band to reduce hunger and it makes it hard to eat what works, so you revert to softer foods. Those softer foods are often higher in calories and the weight loss slows or stops.

I'd also advise a visit to your dietician or nutritionist and be totally honest about what you are eating. They are there to help you, not scold or belittle .. if they do make you feel bad, fire them and find another one.

Start journaling everything that goes in your mouth.. I use thedailyplate.com, but there's tons out there.. fitday.com, fatsecret.com, caloriecount.about.com.. try till you find one that suits you. dailyplate and fatsecret I know have apps that work with smartphones if you have one. Or go low tech with pencil/paper. Studies prove that people who journal lose more weight than those who don't.

Hang in there, this isn't easy, but it's totally doable. :) We're pulling for you!!

Hi Holly

This may help you to get back on track... it's pretty full on, but it's only five days. rolleyes.gifhttp://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

I am on the eve of the fifth day THANK GOD!!!!!!!

Have lost several pounds this week and am mentally back on track. Personally, my band doesn't do much in the way of appetite suppression but something like this helps naturally shrink your stomach, which helps fight the hunger pangs EVENTUALLY.

As I said the five day thingy is pretty full on and I did get shocking headaches for three days, and have felt continually woozy... but I persevered and am glad I did. biggrin.gif

Good luck... it is NOT easy.

xox

I really think if you're eating lots of Pasta because it doesn't get stuck, it's time for an unfill. I'm sorry you're going through this.