Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight or just right?

Hmm... I understand how each of us have our confort levels with fills. Some don't mind that they can only eat liquids and others need a more open band.

I've been losing quite steadily since my banding (see ticker below). It took awhile for my 1cc, first fill, kicked in. I went to the surgeon 10 days ago and really didn't want a fill. However, since I was there and drove 2 hours, we both agreed to a conservative .2cc fill. I can drink liquids fine. Eating is mostly painful after a few small bites. I overall don't feel satisfied, but need to stop after just a bit due to the "golfball effect." I slime quite often and have really learned to slow down and wait. This allows me to figure out if I have my stopping point or not.

I've made an appt. to unfill my last .2cc, for this Tuesday. Do you think this is something I should get used to or get a slight unfill? I just need some opinions as this fill/unfill business is perplexing (time of day/time of month/type of foods).

Thanks, Shawn

i'm glad you asked this question, because i'm feeling that my first fill was too small and hasn't "kicked in" (after more than 3 weeks), so i was considering another fill, but am scared that even a little might push me to the "overfilled" side... am i overly concerned? just hoping to get to where i can't eat whatever/whenever... but not be miserable either. long drive for me too... any advice?

angie

PS - NANA YOU LOOK GREAT GIRL! How'd you get around the scarring? Looks like you didn't even have surgery... YOU GO! :thankyou:

Well I've been struggling since my second fill two weeks ago. Still can't eat much solid food at all without suffering and as of a week ago started to develop Acid Reflux Syndrome....and haven't been able to sleep for a week w/o sitting up and even that doesn't work. I've never had Acid Reflux in my whole life...didn't know what it was until my husband explained it to me................

the kicker is....Dr. Spiegel's nurse says he won't take just some out, he will make me unfill all of it and then start again which seem stupid on my part.

But at this point, I don't care what they do, I just need RELIEF! this is not the way to lose weight.............I feel like crap! sorry about the language!

but I'm tired and hungry!:help:

When I had my second fill, it took my band to 2.4 cc(4cc band). I thought for sure it was too tight. I could eat certain things; but, I had to eat them slow and chew them alot. I was frustrated. Now, I did like how the pounds were coming off. I had to retrain myself on how to eat. In the morning, I will have coffee and maybe some soft eggs. I do notice that at night, I can eat more.

What you need to ask yourself is if you are eating "to the rules" of the band. Slow, 20 bites per chew, no drinks. The only reason I say that is because I wasn't. I just thought it was too tight.

I do have an appointment in about two week and I don't know if I want to go. I am satisfied with the results now.

Good Luck.

I understand eating slow and agree with having good results; but right now I can't eat any solid food....slow or not...w/o pain or foaming afterwards. There are times liquids give me pain.............

That would be frustrating. I would get it unfilled. There might even be something else going on with the band.

On another note, have you tried to drink something warm.

It’s a shame I haven’t posted in ages, but until my last fill up to 2.8 I felt like I didn’t even had a band. The fantastic thing is that just like when I left, there are great people asking great questions that help me out even before I have to post. It is just like coming home.

Now, to the issue at hand. I am currently going through the same thing as far as every time I try to eat solids the first few bites definitely have the “golf ball” and fun slime/PB effect. I’m personally refusing to get an un-fill though because I haven’t lost anything. A big ZERO. I am still thinking that it is me, and I think maybe what I thought could be small bites, really should be nibbles. At least at first because after a little bit I can eat quite a bit (????). I am trying to work it all out, but I think it is just a practice thing for me so far.

But what concerns me about your case is when you said liquids wouldn’t go down. I have NO problem with liquids, so that seems to me like the determining factor. Just from what I have read here, I would get an un-fill if I were you. It’s too much to risk tempting fate here. I am sure you know your body best, but there is my two cents if you are interested. Sending well wishes your way—hope it all works out.

Thanks for the comments! It's nice to come back, so soon, and find imput... Well, I've decided keep my appt. for a slight unfill (.2). Liquids are fine, thank goodness. Nana, you have a right to be scared on that too-tight episode! I am so glad that you came back to surgeons office in time.

I am losing 1-2 pounds a week, like I was before my second fill. What is happening is instead of eating a well rounded bandster diet, I am reverting back to liquids and mushies. I've always told myself that this is a lifestyle change. I am not willing to do the liquid/mushy thing long term. Feeling bad, after 2 bites of food, is not a lifestyle that I want to continue!!!

When I called for my appt, the nurse said that sometimes it doesn't take much of a fill to put you over the edge. I should have known better, as I was tight enough when I showed, for my last appt. I didn't want to "kick myself" if I ended up needing another fill in a week or two. So, my surgeon and I agreed to a conservative fill! Funny, two weeks later I am "kicking myself" for having the conservative fill in the first place!!!

Shawn

I understand eating slow and agree with having good results; but right now I can't eat any solid food....slow or not...w/o pain or foaming afterwards. There are times liquids give me pain.............

EVERY single time I eat solid food I ache for about the first five minutes after the second bite. :thankyou: Sometimes I slime too. But NO WAY am I too tight! If I wait out the ache I can eat and eat and eat... :phanvan You may need to wait it out too. Wait for the yuck to receed and then try another bite, well chewed. If it hurts, wait again. Then try it again. :hungry: It took me forever to figure out my band. Turns out I hurt at the beginning instead of the end, I've always been abit backwards!

Well, just to let everyone know...today I was unfilled .2cc. Boy, do I feel better! I now can eat reasonable meals, but not vomit/slime after 2 small bites.

Thanks for the support. Shawn

Hello again! Well after a long weekend of not being able to get any solid food down and sleepless nights due to "new developed acid reflux" I went back to the Doctors office and had a total unfill. What blessed relief....had barium swallow and x-ray check today and band is in place, just had toooooooooooooo much fill. Had first nights good sleep with no reflux issues last night. Going back next Monday for refill....(not as much). On the bright side I lost 8 lbs the two weeks I could not eat and will try very hard this week to maintain loss with no fill.

I never ever ever want to be overfilled again.....its not fun!

Happy Bandster again!!!

I have the Vangaurd Band and am up to 6.5cc. After my last fill I felt like a may be to tight, had reflux. about 2 months has gone by and I feel like I can eat a bit to much. I go in for another fill Thursday. I know others seem to experiance the same thing.

Take Care,

Tod

Here's the big question ... My first fill was 12/30 and I had 1.5 cc in a 4cc band, went for 1 week and felt absolutely no restriction, Dr. said comeback in and he would add alittle more, so 1 week later I go in and he adds .25 so now i am at 1.75. Did my swallow test with no problems and went home on phase 2 liquids for 48 hours. Well after that, the first 2 bites of anything I eat feels like I am having a heart attack! Then I start to get the hickups and all of this "slimy stuff" comes up. After that sometimes I am ok and I can eat, other times I have to just quit and have liquids or Soup. I feel that I am overeating after the "slime" as I am not losing any weight (I know I can eat more than my cup to cup and a half total, but all of this pain with the first bites hurts soooooo bad.

Do you all think maybe my band is to tight or I am just forcing food through the pain? Or could I be eating too fast? Looking for any ideas or help on this... I am getting so discouraged!:faint:

Well...from hearing others sometimes it takes two to 3 weeks for fills to kick in. If you have irritated yourself and the band, could have some swelling...try Clear Liquids for a day.

Then try again to eat solid food. Very small bites...and my nurse suggested the 20/20 method.....chew 20 times - swallow and wait another 20 seconds before putting another bite in. Mornings you are closed more - so midday is better time to eat....and sometimes later in evening - things close up again. If after first bite - little slime and pain...then things seem to move better....eat your small portion....

But if doesn't improve....hiccups continue....you might be tooooooooooo full and after my last 2 weeks experience - its miserable.....but give it some time - at least a week and see how it goes and then decide....

The only thing we can honestly tell you is everybody is a little different and listen to your body!:hungry:

BSB1224 I agree with Lyndalafe! Get it at least a week to see if you open up a bit. If not get a bit removed. As you know, from above that I was feeling just like you. I gave it 2 weeks and had a bit removed-ahhhhh relief!