Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me, I'm MISERABLE!

I got my band put in on 09/14/10. I took out loans to do the surgery self pay, as my insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery at all. Nothing for weight loss will even be considered under my policy. I did very well up until January 2011. I was at 6cc's of restriction and I started experiencing projectile vomiting and was unable to tolerate even liquids. From January to March, my surgeon's office only removed 1.5 cc's and the whole time I was dealing with all of my complications, my surgeon only saw me once. Initally after each adjustment, I would do well for a week or so and then start having issues again. I dealt with the Physician's Assistant during everything, the surgeon didn't even remember me from one week to the next and was very sarcastic and rude to me.

I finally went to another doctor for a second opinion (paid out of pocket as well.) The new surgeon and his PA are a lot more compassionate and seem genuinely concerned for my well being. Nevertheless, I'm miserable. I can't eat or even drink Water in the morning. SOME days I can tolerate food in the afternoon and evening, other days I throw up no matter what goes in my mouth whether it's liquids or solids. I constantly have uncontrollable burping and it's completely humiliating. People at work are starting to catch on that I'm not eating and I always seem to have an excuse. I burp all day long... and I never feel relieved!! If I never burp another day in my life, it will be TOO SOON. Even with all this, I'm not losing weight. I've only lost a total of 26 pounds since September and I'm wondering- is this even WORTH it??? I have never been so unhappy in my life!! I'm sad every day, I cry constantly... I'm completely shutting down. On top of feeling physically horrible, I'm $16,000 in debt. The Dr I got the 2nd opinion from ordered an Upper GI which I'm scheduled to have this Friday. It'll be my 2nd UGI in 3 months so who knows if my insurance will even consider it. So that will be another $300 - $400 I'll have to dish out. IF he decides I need my band removed, that'll be thousands of dollars more. I doubt I can even get any more loans. HELP me please!! I desperately need some words of encouragement. I feel like I can't go on like this.

first off...BREATH!!!! i hate to hear what you've been going thru. the best thing that you can do right now is wait to see what the next UGI shows and hopefully the new doctor will be able to help you thru this. i'd be interested to see how this works out for you.

Keep your head up!!:)

Thank you for your support! I will keep you updated on the results of my UGI and appoinment on Friday. :(

first off...BREATH!!!! i hate to hear what you've been going thru. the best thing that you can do right now is wait to see what the next UGI shows and hopefully the new doctor will be able to help you thru this. i'd be interested to see how this works out for you.

Keep your head up!!:)

Gosh, I'm sorry, that all just sounds horrible :(

I'm in the same boat but I haven't lost a single pound. The doctor can't figure out the problem as my band looks great... only that I can't eat most of the day and on the rare occasion I can eat, I can eat the house.

I'm getting my band out. In preparation for the new surgery I had to get my band completely unfilled so that I can try to get myself on proper foods for a while due to (ironically) malnourishment. Only after I got my band unfilled did I realise how miserable I've been.

I'm lucky that the government will pick up the cost of my revision, but I'm still $18K in the hole for the band surgery. My new doctor says that originally he was all gung-ho for bands as the new technology, but he's changed his mind now that he's had to remove so many of them. Some were due to erosion, some infection, and a good number due to problems with no clear cause. I fall in that last group. Obviously I wanted my band to work but every time I get even remotely close to restriction, I just start epically throwing up. No sweet spot for me.

Yes! That's exactly what happens to me! There are days (like yesterday) that I can barely even take a sip of Water without burping for the next 25 minutes. It seems like with every bit of air that comes up, a little bit of Water trickles down. It's super frustrating. Then on the days that I can eat "comfortably" of course... I go to town and eat as much as I can.

The UGI I had in March showed that the band is in perfect position, just like yours. They don't seem to know why I'm having so much trouble. I'm sorry for what you've gone thru, I know exactly how miserable it is.

I'm in the same boat but I haven't lost a single pound. The doctor can't figure out the problem as my band looks great... only that I can't eat most of the day and on the rare occasion I can eat, I can eat the house.

I'm getting my band out. In preparation for the new surgery I had to get my band completely unfilled so that I can try to get myself on proper foods for a while due to (ironically) malnourishment. Only after I got my band unfilled did I realise how miserable I've been.

I'm lucky that the government will pick up the cost of my revision, but I'm still $18K in the hole for the band surgery. My new doctor says that originally he was all gung-ho for bands as the new technology, but he's changed his mind now that he's had to remove so many of them. Some were due to erosion, some infection, and a good number due to problems with no clear cause. I fall in that last group. Obviously I wanted my band to work but every time I get even remotely close to restriction, I just start epically throwing up. No sweet spot for me.

Hey there- sorry to hear of your struggles. I am also having a difficult time, but thankfully have a very nice surgeon who fits me in whenever I need to adjust my band due to extreme restriction. I have had it for over two years and have never had a sweet spot experience. I'm either eating almost as much as I could before banding, or unable to eat anything, and sometimes can't even swallow Water. I hope you get some information from your appt that you can work with. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your support. Yes, it's quite frustrating. My appointment was moved to next week, but I will keep you posted :)

Hey there- sorry to hear of your struggles. I am also having a difficult time, but thankfully have a very nice surgeon who fits me in whenever I need to adjust my band due to extreme restriction. I have had it for over two years and have never had a sweet spot experience. I'm either eating almost as much as I could before banding, or unable to eat anything, and sometimes can't even swallow Water. I hope you get some information from your appt that you can work with. Let us know how it goes.

I have had sort of a similar experience. I have motility issues with my esophogus, which was not diagnosed pre-surgery. Sometimes I can eat everything in sight without restriction, but most days, I can't take more than 2 bites without having to run and throw it up. Life has been really hard post-band. I have lost 50 lbs, but only through becoming a forced bulemic. Im sorry to hear about your issues, sounds like there is a small percentage of patients that have unexplained complications.

Well my band is gone. As soon as I got it completely unfilled, the swelling in my ankles that I had been fighting for two years went away almost overnight. I also lost a few pounds right away too; partly from Water retention, and partly because I could eat actual Protein that didn't slide right through.

Just one question for you ladies, are you having fills during ovulation? If this applies, avoid that time of the month at all costs!! Hormones cause my band to be super tight during the couple days before and during. I never ever schedule a fill at this time, I've learned my lesson the hard way and it took me a year to figure it out. Just something to think about. Good luck all!

Same boat. I'm 5+ years post-op. I've lost 80 lbs., but I've gained back 30 lbs. I had two fills within 6 months of surgery. I haven't seen my WLS since.

This week on Thursday, I started having trouble keeping food down. Today, Saturday, I can't even keep Water down.

Last night, I had about 3 GERD attacks. Didn't get much sleep.

Even though I didn't feel like it, I mowed the grass a couple of hours ago. Afterwards, I sat out on the patio and drank some Water. Couldn't keep it down. Now I'm sitting in bed trying some ice chips.

I've had the stomach flu about a couple of years ago. This is not like that.

I don't know if I should ride this out or if I should go to the emergency room.

Maybe if things aren't better by Monday, I could go see my WLS.

NAT, I hope you feel better soon. I don't know if it helps, but if misery loves company, let me pull up a chair.

Ugh!

Miserable in Dallas,

Dan

Same boat. I'm 5+ years post-op. I've lost 80 lbs.' date=' but I've gained back 30 lbs. I had two fills within 6 months of surgery. I haven't seen my WLS since.

This week on Thursday, I started having trouble keeping food down. Today, Saturday, I can't even keep Water down.

Last night, I had about 3 GERD attacks. Didn't get much sleep.

Even though I didn't feel like it, I mowed the grass a couple of hours ago. Afterwards, I sat out on the patio and drank some Water. Couldn't keep it down. Now I'm sitting in bed trying some ice chips.

I've had the stomach flu about a couple of years ago. This is not like that.

I don't know if I should ride this out or if I should go to the emergency room.

Maybe if things aren't better by Monday, I could go see my WLS.

NAT, I hope you feel better soon. I don't know if it helps, but if misery loves company, let me pull up a chair.

Ugh!

Miserable in Dallas,

Dan[/quote']

Dan... I would go to the ER. A sudden onset like that makes me think that perhaps your band has slipped. I hope you are feeling better, but if not, get it checked out right away!!

I also think that sounds like a slip. The sooner you see your Dr the better.