Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, most of the time I try to stay on the positive side but I just found out some information over the past few days and it just took away another chunk of faith I have in doctors. I have been struggling with my weight for so many years. I love my band but the past few weeks since I have been eating so much Protein, I have been so tired. I get up and go jog for an hour and then want a nap. Then I'll do some laundry or clean the kitchen and again I want a nap. I started doing some research on fatigue and some of my other symptoms. I have a low body temp that is usually around 97 and sometimes it goes as low as 94. I knew that the lower body temp affected my metabolism. I also have low blood pressure, brittle nails, and up until a few years ago, when I would work out, I wouldn't sweat. Before my surgery, I was also having really bad carb cravings and cravings for salt.

A few years ago I went to the doctor and after many tests and months of going for labs, they told me that I was hypothyroid because of a conversion problem even though all of my thyroid tests came back in normal range. They altered my meds until they had me on a low dose of pure T3. Some symptoms such as the not sweating, and the brain fog went away but I still had a lot of other symptoms that they couldn't explain. I do have a family history of tyroid problems. Anywho, I got to checking out some websites the other day on iodine deficiency and it listed every symptom I have. Turns out the salt I have been buying for the last 8 years doesn't contain iodine. I saw the word iodine on there but after inspecting it and reading it more carefully, my Morton salt container says "this product does not contain iodine."

So, I followed one of the suggestions for testing and it said to get some tenture of iodine and paint a 3x3 inch square on your under arm and if it disappears within 24 hours, you could be iodine deficient. If it goes away in 6 hours, you could be severely iodine deficient. Mine went away in 2 hours. So, I went to the healthfood store and bought a bottle of liquid iodine/iodode and put 3 little drops in a bottle of Water for the past 2 days and today is the first day in I don't know how long that I have not needed a nap. My mood has been wonderful.

I don't know how many doctors I went to with my symptoms over the years that dismissed me as just being depressed and overweight and told me to lose weight and I would be fine, or tried to put me on some sort of antidepressant. I am going to go have my labs checked in a few days and monitor how I feel but It makes me so mad how doctor's won't take the time to listen to their patients and that I may have spent thousands of dollars and suffered for the past 10 years over something as silly as low iodine.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent.

Wow! That's too bad you went all that time without knowing what was wrong but that's great you figured it out. I hope you keep feeling good!

That is frustrating.

I can't tell you how many times doctors have defaulted to my weight to explain unexplained symptoms, without any evidence that weight was in any way related. It's like this lazy default, and obesity is so demonized, that it's an easy scapegoat that allows the medical field not to worry about doing some hard work to figure it out. It's really easy to tell someone they're at fault, to just lose weight and all of their problems will go away. I wonder what they do when all of those sick thin people come in.

@ Trish151 I am just like u

I advocate and research for myself. Yes it is overwhelming to try and figure out what's wrong but in the end You are your best doctor. Good for You.

How frustrating for you!! I am glad that you were pro-active and able to find a solution. Hoping that you get your doc to listen now.