Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got banded a week ago today and over the week I've really been looking over the paperwork and literally crying over what I am not able to eat. Not just junk, but meats and veggies and fruits that I can no longer enjoy. And I can't drink while I'm eating? I can't do that. I'm ALWAYS thirsty. I just don't know what to do. It has brought me to tears everyday since I've had the surgery...I just don't know what to do. And no matter how much I drink ( I drink small sips of juice/ice tea/water etc. ) all day long, and my urine is still dark which means I'm dehydrated. I'm so sad and at a loss for a solution....

Were you not educated on that information before the surgery? I had 6 months of visits with a dietician to learn the do's and dont's and dietary changes of having gastric banding surgery. But the biggest thing I have learned since having the surgery is that most foods are trial and error. I fortunately have no problems with meats, veggies, rice etc. I however cannot drink during my meal just because there just simply isnt room for liquids at that time. Over time you will realize what you can and cannot eat and I think you will find it isnt as bad as it may seem. Try to get 64 oz minimum of fluids daily. If you still continue to have problems with dehydration after that amout if Fluid you should see your primary care phys to made sure there is not another issue that needs addressing. Good luck to you! The changes you'll find really are not so bad. And once the weight starts coming off it'll all be worth it!!

Not directed to you futureisbright, this is why in hindsight the six month supervised diet is a good thing, you have time to actually educate yourself on what you are getting into.

As for not eating meats etc. Remember that is only temporary when you are healing, you'll be back to real food in no time. As for not drinking while eating just don't bring a cup with you to the table. I don't drink while eating or like 45 minutes after and I average around 100 oz of Water a day. You'll get enough in don't worry. I promise it will get better

I'm bout 6 weeks out...it gets easier. There's some meats that are harder for me to eat: dry chicken, tough steak. The hardest part of not drinking during your meal (or right after) for me is dealing with mouth burn from hot sauce. The rationale is to not dilute your food so it stays in the pouch longer to keep you full. I focus my drinking (almost exclusively tea, coffee & Water with the occasional 4 ounces of V8 fusion Light if I need a treat & Crystal Light packets added to Water when I work) to right before my meals, starting maybe an hour beforehand. I can easily drink 20-40 ounces in a couple minutes at this point.

There's some foods I miss at times, but will eat them again in moderation. Rice bothers me in the mornings, but in the afternoon or evenings I might be able to eat as much as 1/4 cup. bread was out for me, including flour tortillas, which had me down...I was able to eat corn tortillas and cornbread though until my last fill. Now they are out too, unless I eat cornbread in chili. But other foods, like fast food I honestly am not missing at all. I'm really starting to enjoy healthier choices and tastes. Roasted zucchini, yellow squash, green Beans, and onion has become one of my new favorite foods and I was NEVER a veggie lover!!

I got banded a week ago today and over the week I've really been looking over the paperwork and literally crying over what I am not able to eat. Not just junk, but meats and veggies and fruits that I can no longer enjoy. And I can't drink while I'm eating? I can't do that. I'm ALWAYS thirsty. I just don't know what to do. It has brought me to tears everyday since I've had the surgery...I just don't know what to do. And no matter how much I drink ( I drink small sips of juice/ice tea/water etc. ) all day long, and my urine is still dark which means I'm dehydrated. I'm so sad and at a loss for a solution....

You are only one week post-op and the healing takes time. Hang in there because things do get so much better.

Just follow the instructions your surgeon gives you and each day will be better. Just think, one year from now you will be posting how you have lost so much weight and how much you would do it all over again! Get in as much Fluid as you can each day and hang on because the journey can be a fun ride! Keep your eye on the prize :)

I saw a dietician 6 months before hand, but she had not dealt with anyone who was having or has had a banding. I guess there lies my mistake. I guess I'll just try not to think about it for now....it's putting me into a depression which is reallyyy not good. Trying to stay positive.....

I can eat any meat or veggies I want. I have only ever had problem with really dry chicken or baby carrots that I did not chew well. FYI I eat chicken EVERYDAY and baby carrots almost every day. As for not drinking while you eat I find that now that eat better (defineatly less salt); I am not as thirsty any more. I used to get so irritated at restaurants when they would leave my glass empty because I was so thirsty. Now it is not a problem.

Don't feel discouraged. I have found that those lists are usually only things that may give you trouble. I have had 3 fills and can pretty much eat anything. Just be mindful of making sure you chew it enough! I didn't think I could handle the not drinking either. I have found now after 3 fills that if I even try to take a drink while eating it will not go down! It is very uncomfortable! This is an incentive not to even try it! If gets a lot easier with time!

I can promise you, it gets better!!!! I too sat and cried over what I couldn't eat. I kept reading on here and learned, it's not that I cant eat it, it's that I can't eat it NOW. try telling yourself you WILL be able to eat everything in time. That's what helped me. Good luck! I swear each new day things get better and your choices get easier!

I was banded on 2-28-11. I am one of the blessed ones who has no problems with hunger or eating. I have 6cc's in a large band. I eat anything I want just not much of it. Just hang in there! They tell you all the foods you won't be able to eat but the truth is everyone is different. I can eat anything but there are others that eat only certain things (and some only at certain times!). You won't know what you will be able to eat until you get healed up from the surgery. So don't worry about it until you know what you can or can't eat. Hang in there it will get better!

weight.png

I have no problem eating anything as long as it is well chewed. Won't you be less depressed when you lose your excess weight? Keep your eye on the prize not a few weeks of liquid diet. I know how depressed i was when overweight and in the obese category - just knowing i'm not there anymore brings a smile to my face.

Hi

You're over thinking it and its overwhelming you. I am 5 months out and I have not had any problem eating ANY types of food. I think it's all about how tight you want the band to be. I read some of these posts that can't keep anything down and wonder why they don't just go back and have Fluid taken out, you shouldn't be miserable just to lose weight. Anyway right now you should focus on getting better, the first few weeks are always hard, you're probably still sore and haven't eaten in a week so your tired too.. Relax, it WILL all be ok. :) Good luck

Hi There!

I was banded two years ago - and went through some of what you are now.

The fluids -- I was told to go ahead and drink ALL I WANTED and felt like I could, so I did!

I did drink lot's of Protein shakes - for me the pre-packaged Protein Shakes from costco were the best.

The doctors, nutritionists and other patients said there will come a time when you CAN NOT drink at meals -

it isn't that you 'shouldn't' but that you can't -- when you eat solids it will fill up you little pouch area above the band.

If you drink fluids with it or immediately after eating - the Fluid has no where to go and may cause

projectile regurgitation (or PB, productive burping).

In the first 6-9 months after my surgery - I was able to eat anything I wanted and in any quanitity.

But once I started to get restriction - that is when all the rules started to come in to play for me.

There isn't much I can't tolerate now (that I am at my "sweeet spot") - however I CHOOSE

not to eat , breads/pasta/rice/potatoe type foods -- as it just fills me up too quickly and I am still hungry.

i stick to Proteins and some veggies and fruits.

Hope this helps --

The first few weeks after my surgery I went through a "mourning" period.

It took what seemed like forever for me to be able to get banded. I was totally elated.

Did everything exactly like I was instructed. Made all the support group meetings beforehand.

Had my family and friends on board. I was set up for success. Surgery went great. Not a problem in the world until I realized that I had pretty much divorced my best friend - food. I missed her. My comfort, my confidant, my one true constant. I would silently ask myself if I realized what I had done. I would get irritated watching people eat. There was no way in the world I wanted to express any of these feelings to the people that I dragged into it with me and especially not to my husband that had just shelled out 15K :unsure: .

I didn't regret getting banded I just had to really learn how to live without my crutch instead of just talking about it.

It sounds laughable now...

You'll be fine. Really.

Oh yeah...my best friend...In hindsight I've learned that "she" never was my friend. We still visit often :lol: but our relationship is changing ;)