Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervouscollege freshman..surgery may 24,2011

Hi Guys!

I am almost 19 years old and have lap band scheduled for May 24th! I am nervous about being put under general anesthesia (never had sugery before), for the surgery itself, and for post op...im pretty much very nervous! I am in perfect health, but woul like to hear from people who have been recently banded or anyone who can reassure me that I will be okay! What should I bring to the hospital?

I am in college right now, and im excited for my new life but nervous for the "Getting there" part...any college bandsters out there? is is easy (post op to deal with at college)

HELP! THANKS GUYS!

Hi Guys!

I am almost 19 years old and have lap band scheduled for May 24th! I am nervous about being put under general anesthesia (never had sugery before), for the surgery itself, and for post op...im pretty much very nervous! I am in perfect health, but woul like to hear from people who have been recently banded or anyone who can reassure me that I will be okay! What should I bring to the hospital?

I am in college right now, and im excited for my new life but nervous for the "Getting there" part...any college bandsters out there? is is easy (post op to deal with at college)

HELP! THANKS GUYS!

Well I am 24 years old and still in nursing school I don't know if that qualify's but yeah I am nervous I don't really think about the general anesthesia just getting through this liquid diet part. My surgery is May 12th

The scariest part for me was the anesthesia. All I could think about before the surgery was "What if I don't wake up. What's going to be of my son without his mommy?" It was my first time going under and one of the scariest moments of my life. I was thinking about that nonstop.

But here I am!!! Awake and 65 pounds lighter!!! Its going to be fine. Before they put you under they give you some type of "happy" drug to calm your nerves. And while you are under you have an anesthesiologist monitoring you during surgery with a machine to make sure you are ok at all time. That is the least of your worries wink.gif

Good luck and congrats in making the choice to turn your life around... biggrin.gif

I am getting my doctorate, so I guess that qualifies me as a college student. LOL! I was extremely nervous about surgery as I have never had any kind of procedure or been in the hospital before. I had an EGD a week before the surgery so it was practice for the big day and I felt more comfortable. My anestesiologist made me feel so comfortable she was explaining every step and reassured me I'd be okay because she would be right their monitoring everything. The staff was so friendly and they were playing music in the OR (LOL)! A nurse asked me what I was going to dream about and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery screaming to the nurse to give me some pain medication. Will you be living on campus? Does it have a cafeteria? When I was in undergrad I loved the caf! If you are going to be at a big school (I went to LSU) there will always be something good, nutritious, and healthy to eat. You will be just fine if you can avoid those late night study Snacks (I always had Krispy Kreme donuts) and drinking excessively (if you drink) when you go out (if you like to party). Also, most schools have a gym on campus and it's free to students! Damn you got me wishing I was 18 again. FYI my freshmen year I dropped 30 pounds and was the smallest ever (215). I took full advantage of the gym and the great cafeteria food. You will do great and good luck. Believe me when I say this will be one of the BEST times of your life.

thank you for your response..am i not allowed to wear jewelry during surgery? I've never been put under either and im scared of it..with the "happy drug" did you feel better? and do they give you the anesthesia in the operating room with ur family there or what? Im SO TERRIFIED! When did you have your surgery? how long did you surgery take you? time you went in? and when you left? Im freaking out, and im only 18 and want everything to be okay blink.gif

I'm getting it done hopefully on May 24th..any advice for me?

The scariest part for me was the anesthesia. All I could think about before the surgery was "What if I don't wake up. What's going to be of my son without his mommy?" It was my first time going under and one of the scariest moments of my life. I was thinking about that nonstop.

But here I am!!! Awake and 65 pounds lighter!!! Its going to be fine. Before they put you under they give you some type of "happy" drug to calm your nerves. And while you are under you have an anesthesiologist monitoring you during surgery with a machine to make sure you are ok at all time. That is the least of your worries wink.gif

Good luck and congrats in making the choice to turn your life around... biggrin.gif

LOL!!! You remind me of me before my surgery!! laugh.gif

You cannot wear any type of jewelry. I had to take out my nose ring also.

You will probably be with family while they get you set up, like with the IV and stuff, you are also going to get an injection in your belly to prevent blood clots. Then they wheel you off to a room where they pretty much give you everything through the IV (happy drug 2 calm ur nerves. And yes, I felt a lot better) then the anesthesiologist comes in and speaks 2 you about how its gonna go down. Then he does his thing (again, through the IV) and they wheel you off to the operating room. They are going to have you move over to the operating table while they listen to all the gibberish coming out of your mouth (you'll be all groggy @ this point, lol) till you knock out completely. Then next thing you know, you're waking up to a nurse calling your name. Once you're fully awake they take you over to your room where your family will be waiting for you biggrin.gif. *I had my husband play Florence's : "The Dog Days are over" while they took me to my room. That was my way of knowing I was still alive and that they were there for me. Silly I know, but I needed the reassurance rolleyes.gif*

I had surgery Sept. 27, 2010 (I was 25). It lasted less than an hour @ 10am and I even started walking that same day. I went home the next day after they ran some xrays and I was able to drink a glass of Water. And you have no reason to freak out. Just follow the doctors orders to the T. Make sure that you do everything possible on your end to have a successful surgery. You will be fine!!! cool.gif

thank you for your response..am i not allowed to wear jewelry during surgery? I've never been put under either and im scared of it..with the "happy drug" did you feel better? and do they give you the anesthesia in the operating room with ur family there or what? Im SO TERRIFIED! When did you have your surgery? how long did you surgery take you? time you went in? and when you left? Im freaking out, and im only 18 and want everything to be okay blink.gif

Hey, I'm 26 and in radiology school, so I consider myself a college student. lol. I've had the advantage of working in a hospital for 6 years, and my schooling involves clinical rotations to different hospital departments, including in the OR. This has helped me feel much more comfortable with how things will go the day of my surgery. (I'm scheduled for May 20th) .

No, you can't wear any jewelry during surgery. I wouldn't even bother wearing it into the hospital. Just leave it at home so you don't risk losing it. You should also come with no makeup on. Your family will not be allowed in the operating room since it needs to be a sterile environment. They may give you some "happy drugs" while you're in a room waiting to be taken to the OR. At this point you may still be with your family, but it varies by each hospital's procedures. They'll have you wear a hospital gown and give you a hair net. When entering the actual operating room, they may let you walk in and lay on the bed, or they may wheel you in on a stretcher and have you slide over to the bed. Again, this depends on the hospital and how "out of it" you may be from the meds. At this point, it all goes very quickly. They may introduce you to the anesthesiologist and other people in the room and they'll verify your identity (for safety purposes). They have probably already started an IV at this point. The anesthesiologist will then start a drip into your IV of meds to put you to sleep or he may put a mask over your face to breath from. You'll be asleep within seconds. Then next thing you know, you're in the recovery room with a nurse standing over you. The nurse will check your vital signs and assess your pain. You shouldn't be terribly uncomfortable at this point, just groggy. You may be in the recovery room for an hour or so before you're awake enough to be evaluated. Once they make sure you're ok, you're family should be able to come in to see you.

Again, some factors may vary depending on the facility, but this should give you a general idea of how things may go. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I would be happy to try and answer. I'm getting banded just a few days before you, so I could fill you in more then if you'd like.

Good Luck and Congrats!!!

-Amber

Hi Guys!

I am getting my surgery on August 16( my insurance was being icky but finally i got another date), so in just 6 days and am freaking out all over again..I move back to sschool just two days afrer..any tips on a speedy recovery? How often can I shower? any tips on how to take care of the wounds etc? and about how long do they take to heal? Still nevvous about anethesia..but am anxious excited and cant believe that my day is here...im still young and in college and need as many tips as I can get!

Thanks guys!!

Melissa

Hey, I'm 26 and in radiology school, so I consider myself a college student. lol. I've had the advantage of working in a hospital for 6 years, and my schooling involves clinical rotations to different hospital departments, including in the OR. This has helped me feel much more comfortable with how things will go the day of my surgery. (I'm scheduled for May 20th) .

No, you can't wear any jewelry during surgery. I wouldn't even bother wearing it into the hospital. Just leave it at home so you don't risk losing it. You should also come with no makeup on. Your family will not be allowed in the operating room since it needs to be a sterile environment. They may give you some "happy drugs" while you're in a room waiting to be taken to the OR. At this point you may still be with your family, but it varies by each hospital's procedures. They'll have you wear a hospital gown and give you a hair net. When entering the actual operating room, they may let you walk in and lay on the bed, or they may wheel you in on a stretcher and have you slide over to the bed. Again, this depends on the hospital and how "out of it" you may be from the meds. At this point, it all goes very quickly. They may introduce you to the anesthesiologist and other people in the room and they'll verify your identity (for safety purposes). They have probably already started an IV at this point. The anesthesiologist will then start a drip into your IV of meds to put you to sleep or he may put a mask over your face to breath from. You'll be asleep within seconds. Then next thing you know, you're in the recovery room with a nurse standing over you. The nurse will check your vital signs and assess your pain. You shouldn't be terribly uncomfortable at this point, just groggy. You may be in the recovery room for an hour or so before you're awake enough to be evaluated. Once they make sure you're ok, you're family should be able to come in to see you.

Again, some factors may vary depending on the facility, but this should give you a general idea of how things may go. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I would be happy to try and answer. I'm getting banded just a few days before you, so I could fill you in more then if you'd like.

-Amber

Hey! How did your surgery turn out? Mine was suoposed to be in May too (but it's actually on the 16th officially and then i am off to college a few days after) so im stil nervous? any tips on how to keep the scars/wounds clean? Also, how was recovery? and the day of surgery? I am SOOO nervous! how long did it take for the scars to heal?

xox melissa

-Amber

hey everyone ! i just joined this site today and would love to talk to other college students who are getting/ got the lap band surgery. Im 19 and my surgery date is August 17th. Im on day two of the liquid diet and i can't sleep. I dont know what to do. I don't want to watch t.v. because everytime I see a commercial of someone eating it gets me upset lol. Im trying to deal with it though. It's comforting to know that there are other people like me going through this journey. :) good luck to everyone !

Hey guys! I was banded last year, when I was 19, and a college sophomore. I have had my band for a year now, and just now joined this site..weird, right?

I feel like I am the ONLY college student out there that has gotten this, but clearly I am not, and I am very excited to talk to some other college students :). So...let's talk, haha.

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel about that liquid diet. I was miserable, especially because I was still home for the summer, and I got to watch the rest of my family eat food cooked on the grill and from the garden, while I ate my cheese stick and Protein shake, haha. BUT..it is so worth it, so just continue to keep in mind that you are truly doing something worth it. I chewed a lot of gum during that time, because it kept my mind off of how I wasn't eating like anything. ( I suggest double bubble pink lemonade :P)

hey everyone ! i just joined this site today and would love to talk to other college students who are getting/ got the lap band surgery. Im 19 and my surgery date is August 17th. Im on day two of the liquid diet and i can't sleep. I dont know what to do. I don't want to watch t.v. because everytime I see a commercial of someone eating it gets me upset lol. Im trying to deal with it though. It's comforting to know that there are other people like me going through this journey. :) good luck to everyone !