Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello??? Does lap band work???

Ok, here is my dilemna...I did the preop diet and lost 11 pounds....i was banded on april 13 and in 7 days i lost 8 pounds........now, here is the problem........

I am eating what I'm supposed to, which means I am surviving on less than 300 calories a day...I am also exercising at least 45 minutes a day. But, here is the deal..... I weighed in on Wednesday only since it was dr follow up day......then i weighed in on Sunday since thats always the day I do it. The scale didnt budge!!!!!!!! Now, i know Water varies day to day....but we are talking about less than 300 calories a day and burning a decent amount.....how is the scale not moving?????

Does the band work for everyone??? I swear I'm not cheating. I am following dr orders, but Im starting to think my body is not going to get anywhere like this..................

What gives?? Anyone know?

Thanks

Ok, here is my dilemna...I did the preop diet and lost 11 pounds....i was banded on april 13 and in 7 days i lost 8 pounds........now, here is the problem........

I am eating what I'm supposed to, which means I am surviving on less than 300 calories a day...I am also exercising at least 45 minutes a day. But, here is the deal..... I weighed in on Wednesday only since it was dr follow up day......then i weighed in on Sunday since thats always the day I do it. The scale didnt budge!!!!!!!! Now, i know Water varies day to day....but we are talking about less than 300 calories a day and burning a decent amount.....how is the scale not moving?????

Does the band work for everyone??? I swear I'm not cheating. I am following dr orders, but Im starting to think my body is not going to get anywhere like this..................

Thanks

I'm sure everyone can appreciate your enthusiasm, but if the dates you've posted are correct, you were just banded twelve days ago. You're getting the cart well before the horse, and you aren't even properly healed up yet. Has your surgeon cleared you for exercise? Have you been given proper dietary guidelines to follow at this point? Following my surgery, I was on liquids only for a full three weeks. After that I was allowed soft foods, and then gradually allowed solid foods. I wasn't cleared for exercise until six weeks after surgery. And even then I was advised to take it slow. If you're at it full tilt less than two weeks out, I'm not surprised your system is rebelling.

Your body is still recovering from surgery. It will take time for things to settle in, and for your metabolism to get used to your new diet. 300 calories a day isn't much, and your body is probably reeling from all the shocks you've put it through, so it's hanging onto every calorie you eat, just in case. Once you're eating a proper diet, with enough consistent calories of the right type, your metabolism will adjust, and your weight loss will continue. The weight you've lost so far is likely Water weight, and what was gained during surgery. You probably haven't lost any fat as yet.

Initially, I'd say yes, the band does work for everyone. But this is a process that needs to be managed properly, to give yourself your best shot at losing weight safely and consistently. Slow down and give yourself time to heal, and the weight loss will follow.

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks

Why are you eating less than 300 calories a day? A good Protein shake 3 times a day will be more than that. Take a look at what you surgeon told you to eat. I think you might be short changing yourself. And as the other poster suggested, perhaps the exercise is a little too much that early out is a bit taxing on your healing body.

Remember, we didn't gain our weight overnight, we won't lose it overnight. Relax and be gentle on your healing body. You will do great!

Thanks

sounds like you are not taking in enough, you need increase your calories if you are going to lose and I agree with the others, I have never heard of someone limited to 300 calories a day..

also, your body adjusts to your "new" normal intake, and as previously fights to keep every calorie and you plateau. Your body needs a metabolism boost to remind it that you aren't starving to death, and then a new drop in calories will again get you losing. Also, it doesn't make sense that your physician only wants you taking in 300 calories a day, that seems awful extreme.

well, i can have 1/2 cup food at a serving 3 times a day, 2-4 ounces each

4 ounce Protein shake is 80 calories....twice a day is 160

and 4 ounces v-8 is 30 calories...........

so, thats 190 a day.....

thats just one example

As far as exercise, i was told to walk the day of surgery and every day thereafter...the day after i walked an hour and its been at least 45 minutes every day since. i was told no weight lifting for 2 weeks....so thats in 2 more days....

at my one week, he cleared me to get into the pool again since the incisions were healed up and well approximated.

i was told thin liquids for 5 days, full liquids for 5 days, pureed for 5 days and then regular from then on

exercise: start day of surgery, walk every day without exception for a minimum of 30 minutes. pool in one week after follow up. weight lifting can begin in 2 weeks

well, i can have 1/2 cup food at a serving 3 times a day, 2-4 ounces each

4 ounce Protein shake is 80 calories....twice a day is 160

and 4 ounces v-8 is 30 calories...........

so, thats 190 a day.....

thats just one example

As far as exercise, i was told to walk the day of surgery and every day thereafter...the day after i walked an hour and its been at least 45 minutes every day since. i was told no weight lifting for 2 weeks....so thats in 2 more days....

at my one week, he cleared me to get into the pool again since the incisions were healed up and well approximated.

I really have to think you're misunderstanding the directions. You're saying you're expected to exist on 14 ounces of fluids per day?!?

A drink is not a food. Are you SURE, have you verified with your doctor, that when he says "half a cup at a serving 3 times a day" that he means that serving to be your liquids?

I was told 60 grams of Protein per day minimum, from the day after surgery. You're getting what... maybe 20 grams total?

no, actually ive got it right......but i can have all the Water and tea i want

but at this stage im on pureed anyway...but even still, 1.5cups a day is not going to amount to much either.

example:

today i had...

1/2c Soup (60 calories)

1 pudding cup (60 calories)

1/2c pureed fruit (80 calories)

i was on the treadmill for 20 minutes

in the pool for 40 minutes

rode the bike for 10

walked in the park for 30

(i had the day off work)

see my frustration?

maybe my body will adjust...i guess im just a little worried about having spent $10,000 for a procedure and having it not work.

I really have to think you're misunderstanding the directions. You're saying you're expected to exist on 14 ounces of fluids per day?!?

A drink is not a food. Are you SURE, have you verified with your doctor, that when he says "half a cup at a serving 3 times a day" that he means that serving to be your liquids?

I was told 60 grams of Protein per day minimum, from the day after surgery. You're getting what... maybe 20 grams total?

see??? you were banded day before me and have lost 26 pounds to my 8!!!!! you see how im a little freaked out? i should have lost at least another 20 at this point since im doing so much exercising.......the only good news is that my stomach is waaay smaller and i have lost 14 inches total since surgery, so maybe its all muscle

Do you have a nutritionist working at your practice? Were you self-pay? Is your surgeon nearby?

the nutritionist is was the one who wrote the rule with him.......

i will just wait and see what happens.....im probably jumping to conculsions here........when i see them in may i will talk to them about how far behind i am then

thanks

Do you have a nutritionist working at your practice? Were you self-pay? Is your surgeon nearby?

the nutritionist is was the one who wrote the rule with him.......

i will just wait and see what happens.....im probably jumping to conculsions here........when i see them in may i will talk to them about how far behind i am then

thanks

You may want to give them a call before that. One of the side effects of not getting enough nutrition is that your hair can fall out. Just sayin...

Dave

300 calories a day is ridiculous and I would be pretty suspicious as to the credibility of any doctor/nutrionist that actually advocated that, you are starving yourself.

As to exercise, well do what you feel OK doing - I was walking 45 minutes the day after surgery too, heck I ran 10 days after a major bowel resection. Some of us heal quicker than others, feel less pain etc.

Even with exercise and such low calories your body will do what it will do. A read through this forum will show you there's gazillions of people for whom the numbers just arent stacking up, you cant entirely influence your weight loss rate - but eat less, move more and eventually you will be smaller.