Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unfill before vacation

I was just wondering if anyone has ever gotten an unfill for a vacation and if the doctors really frown on this. I'm going on vacation in July and admit I would like to not be as restricted, but I'm afraid to ask doctor about it. he will probably think I'm rediculous or something. so has anyone thought about this?

Nope. My surgeon made it clear that he will not unfill someone for a special occasion because then patients come back in complaining of gaining weight and not reaching the restriction they had before. Why not just eat the foods you like but in smaller portions?

Omg! I don't think that's a good idea and I dont think your dr. Would do it. You also need to think about what you are saying, your vacation shouldn't be about food it should be about having fun and getting out there,maybe you should keep looking within your self and your addiction to food.

I had to do a true/false quiz in the surgeon's office as part of my final pre-op appointment and this was one of the questions on the test. The answer was false, you couldn't get an unfill before a wedding. vacation, etc. It made me laugh!

I mean, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, every surgeon is different... I think that any enjoyment you'd get out of it during the vacation would just be turned to misery when you got home and realized you'd gained, and you had to work back to find a "sweet spot".

The lap band is for life no matter what event occurs why would you think a dr would unfill you for vacation???? Its not like your even close to goal. But really you need to rethink why you did this.

I would not ask for an unfill. One of the first things the doctor told me while going through the process is that this is a long term solution and that its not something you can pick and choose when to follow. My doctor told me that its not something that you can stop by the office before a holiday and ask to get drained so you can cheat. The band is there to help you make the right decisions and aid you in weight loss. I would strongly advise not asking. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy your vacation. Vacation should be about where your going and what your doing not how much you can eat.

I would not get an unfil for a vacation/event. It took me 6 months to get restriction no way would I want to start from scratch. Also my doctor says you should be able to eat 3 oz of Protein and cup of veggies. If you can't eat that amount you are too tight. If you want an unfill because you are eating less than that and want to "enjoy" vacation I would say to unfill to the point where you can eat the amount mentioned above.

I wouldnt do it, I think its totally the wrong way to think about eating, and you wont believe how fast you can put on weight - remember with a band you're living on a "diet" so to speak so unfill it and its liek going OFF a diet, vacations do way more damage than they do when you've already been eating a lot anyway. If it were me, I'd also ruin my vacation worrying about weight gain and moaning about how much I'm eating. I've enjoyed several vacations with good restriction - enjoy tastes of this and that and get home as thin (or thinner) than when you left - who wouldnt want that?

What I did on vactation to make it 'special'. was to each more rich foods that i usually would avoid . like lobster bisque and sugary drinks. I would only get an unfill if I was going on a cruise... not really.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever gotten an unfill for a vacation and if the doctors really frown on this. I'm going on vacation in July and admit I would like to not be as restricted, but I'm afraid to ask doctor about it. he will probably think I'm rediculous or something. so has anyone thought about this?

I've seen this same question come up many times here at LBT and I do understand why the thought goes through your mind. It's all about living every day as a bandster and learning how to manage and have a good life no matter if you are on a vacation or just living your normal day. Leave your restriction like it is, keep your mind on the fun or relaxing time of the vacation. You will be much happier when you get back home.

Someone mentioned cruising. Would it worry any of you to be filled while traveling out of the country where you will be in open Water for three days (e.g.- without a hospital in case of an emergency)? I'm going on a cruise in September and grapple with this idea of unfilling only because G-d forbid something happens in Nassau, St Maarten, St Thomas or while at sea. The cruise ships do have medical facilities, but after 10 cruises, I luckily have never had to see one :)

I can't imagine unfilling and then eating with wild abandon. If I have one rich item now, I'm "on the pot" for hours afterward, since my body is not used to red meat, sweets and high fat items.

I wouldn't do it. We went to the Caribbean recently. I had dessert every night, eggs benedict (sans bread) for Breakfast every morning and at least two fruity cocktails a day and my weight stayed the same. It was the best of all worlds. I did show some restraint but also got to live a little. If it weren't for the band I would have gained a solid ten. At least! Do yourself a favor--don't do it!

If you have an appropriate level of restriction and are not too tight, there's no reason to really be concerned that anything will happen at sea or in another country. I've never had such an incident with my band in over five years.

thanks for the replies. i wasnt saying i was gonna go and pig out, I was just thinking that by July i would be really restricted. I'm in a good restriction now and was worried it would be alot more by then, but when i went to get my 2nd fill today, I was told i didn't need it. I am still learning about the feeling and just thought I wouldnt be able to eat much by then if i keep getting fills. I guess my brain was telling me if you don't need much food now imagin in 3 months. I know I'm not (even close) to my goal weight but i don't want to get stuck on vacation since I'm going with other ppl. I just started to learn the stuck feeling this week and hope its something that gets easier by then so I don't have to be so worried about it on vaca!

The lap band is for life no matter what event occurs why would you think a dr would unfill you for vacation???? Its not like your even close to goal. But really you need to rethink why you did this.

Just wanted to say that the reason i was asking or would think a doctor would unfill someone is because I heard from others, and thats why I was asking. to see if it was something common. And I know why i did this and I'm in it for life. I am just learning how to live my new life.