Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb or No Carb? - Still Very New To This and Could Use Some Help!

Hi everyone!

I am so thankful for this site and the many people on here who share their experiences. I was banded on 3/1/11 and am actually going in for my first fill this Friday (4/15/11). I lost approximately 15 pounds since the day I went in for surgery and I had a relatively easy post-op with no complications and now that I have healed, I am pretty much having no issues with eating ANYTHING or any stuck episodes (at least not yet). Due to this, I have been pretty much practicing the High Protein - NO Carb (as in no simple carbs, no Pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no bread) primarily because I am very much a carb addict (I looooove potatoes and bread and can eat them all day long). However, here is my problem, since I am completely new to this lifestyle and have been reading all of the posts on here and it seems as though everyone on here has incorporated SOME carbs into their diet without experiencing the weight gain that I am fearing will happen once I indulge even just a little bit. I am not a person who likes to cook and am slowly trying to overcome this obstacle. I think my main problem is I am quite confused on what to eat/make that would be satisfying but yet healthy and would still garner the intake i need to maintain weight loss with the band. I was hoping someone could possibly shed some light on the following for me:

1) what simple carbs can I incorporate into my diet and how much to still stay in ketosis (please keep in mind I cut all the "white" out of my diet previous to the LB surgery - white bread, rice pasta, etc.)

2) any good food ideas especially eating out that you can suggest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

3)

I have been pretty much practicing the High Protein - NO Carb (as in no simple carbs, no Pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no bread) primarily because I am very much a carb addict (I looooove potatoes and bread and can eat them all day long).

1) what simple carbs can I incorporate into my diet and how much to still stay in ketosis (please keep in mind I cut all the "white" out of my diet previous to the LB surgery - white bread, rice Pasta, etc.)

You recognize that you are a carb addict so wouldn't adding simple carbs back in be counterproductive? :)

If your goal is to remain in ketosis, then you'll need to avoid simple carbs as well as grains, starches and fruit. You can, however, eat 'green' vegies. So salads with full fat dressings, meat/poultry/fish/eggs cooked however you'd like and any number of vegies - broccoli, green Beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts...think 'green'. That will keep you in ketosis.

If you know you're addicted to carbs, the best thing you can do is keep it simple and clean.

hi elfiepoo!

thanks for the tips but i kind of know the whole grains, fruits, starches thing hence the me doing no carbs and green veggies and Protein primarily...what I was asking was how many grams of carbs do I have to stay under to stay in ketosis? and if there were any suggestions when dining out..

also, should i be counting calories if I am doing low carbs/no carbs as well? because I use myfitnesspal and try to remain under 1200 calories a day but am not sure if i should be doing this with the low carb/no carb diet..

Yannabee-

I can't remember the carb number for ketosis. You might consider buying or borrowing the original Atkins book if you haven't already. It is very helpful. I got mine from the library and read and made copies and it was very helpful. I would grab it to give you answers, but it's at home and I'm at work.

I think in the beginning, it makes sense to focus on Proteins (chicken, fish, beef, eggs), fats (up to 4oz cheese a day, avocado, butter, salad dressing), and complex carbs in the form of green veggies (except peas of course).

If you follow this, you probably don't need to count calories unless you're curious. I really think it makes a difference to start out hard core so you really get practiced in what it's like to go extremely low carb. I think it's good not only for weight loss, but to actually really see how addictive simple carbs are mentally and physically.

Once I was well practiced in low carb, I started playing around with occasionally adding in "treats". Treats would include any of the no-nos. I indulge once every two weeks in these kind of treats.

My diet now is lowish-carb. What that means is that I've added in fruit a couple of times a week, and I also do low-carb crackers a couple of times a week with hummus or something like that. Also, I do a Protein bar that has carbs. I'm not in ketosis any longer as far as I know, but eating generally low carb means EASY low calorie without having to count, and I like that a lot.

Edited: As far as eating out, I usually get a Protein and sub the steamed veggies for the potato that usually comes with. Or, I do a salad without croutons. Try to stay away from breaded Proteins of course. And if you can't leave the bread basket alone, ask them not to bring it.

I actually think eating out low carb is generally pretty easy. It's easier to get low carb than low fat or low calorie!

Hi Lila!

Thanks for your input. I have actually done Atkins years ago and lost about 30 pounds which unfortunately i put back on once I went off. I have been doing the high protein/low carb/no carb ever since before surgery and have only cheated (by cheating i mean eat an occasional 1 slice of wheat bread) a few times...i think my biggest problem is im not much of a creative person when it comes to eating, I tend to eat the same thing every day. My day would look like:

Breakfast - Egg white veggie omelette with spinach, mushroom, onions, chives

2 slices of bacon and maybe 1 slice of wheat toast with a smidge of butter

coffee - light with half and half (approximately 1/4 cup) and 3 splendas

Lunch: Walnut crusted and Goat cheese salad from Unos (basically consisting of field greens, approximately 2-3 table spoons of goat cheese and about 1/4 cup of walnuts with fat free vinagrette

Dinner: Same thing as lunch or maybe piece of grilled chicken with some veggies

Snacks - none or sometimes a 100 calorie cheese stick with a few pepperonis

I also think I might be at a standstill because other than me not having my first fill yet, i haven't been doing much in terms of drinking the Protein drinks.

Hi Lila!

Thanks for your input. I have actually done Atkins years ago and lost about 30 pounds which unfortunately i put back on once I went off. I have been doing the high protein/low carb/no carb ever since before surgery and have only cheated (by cheating i mean eat an occasional 1 slice of wheat bread) a few times...i think my biggest problem is im not much of a creative person when it comes to eating, I tend to eat the same thing every day. My day would look like:

Breakfast - Egg white veggie omelette with spinach, mushroom, onions, chives

2 slices of bacon and maybe 1 slice of wheat toast with a smidge of butter

coffee - light with half and half (approximately 1/4 cup) and 3 splendas

Lunch: Walnut crusted and Goat cheese salad from Unos (basically consisting of field greens, approximately 2-3 table spoons of goat cheese and about 1/4 cup of walnuts with fat free vinagrette

Dinner: Same thing as lunch or maybe piece of grilled chicken with some veggies

Snacks - none or sometimes a 100 calorie cheese stick with a few pepperonis

I also think I might be at a standstill because other than me not having my first fill yet, i haven't been doing much in terms of drinking the Protein drinks.

If you're at a standstill, you might consider looking at your fats to make sure you aren't going too low fat. If you cut both fat and carbs, the body seems to be unhappier than if you just cut the carbs.

In another thread in this forum people are sharing Protein ideas. If you feel stuck, you might check that out for some help. I do agree though, low carb can get pretty repetitive!

I do commend you for trying to do low-carb at least while you're going through bandster hell :) It's actually pretty much how the docs want us bandsters to eat anyway, so it's good practice.

http://cauk.atkins.com/

lots of recipes, carb info, the works

what I was asking was how many grams of carbs do I have to stay under to stay in ketosis? and if there were any suggestions when dining out..

also, should i be counting calories if I am doing low carbs/no carbs as well? because I use myfitnesspal and try to remain under 1200 calories a day but am not sure if i should be doing this with the low carb/no carb diet..

It varies with the individual. Some people have to stay under 20...some under 40. That's the critical carbohydrate level Atkins talks about; however, you should be good if you stay under 30-35gm

Some people don't have to count calories when they keep their carbs under 30 or so. 15 years ago I didn't...now I do. You'll just have to find what works for you.

How is it goin? Any better? I use myfitnesspal to track carbs - it really helps to be accountable. also if you check out the Atkins site it is very helpful. Atkins has an induction phase for 2 weeks and carbs need to be under 20 grams. When I am out i always have hot wings with blue cheese dipping sauce and caesar salad without croutons - super yummy and doesn't upset my diet - I usually have 2 pints of coors light draft as well - i don't necessarily lose any weight that day but i never once have gained after this meal.

:rolleyes:

p.s. it gets easier the longer you stay away from the white carbs. I grew up with those and after a few days not weeks my cravings all but disappeared.

Hi Mousek!

Well big news...I went in for my first fill last friday (4/15) and in speaking to my nutritionist, she advised against me doing Atkins because of the fat content allowed on the diet, she suggested I stop eating bacon in the morning with my eggs (this was all as a result of me complaining that I stayed the same weight from my first post opp appointment to my first fill)...she suggested I do weight watchers. I had approximately 4cc's as my first fill of an 11cc realize band and I can't say I am feeling much restriction as of yet. I am still trying however to stop when I think I'm full and lessening my portion sizes. I am still watching my simple carbs and find myself really only indulging in maybe 1 piece of wheat toast as my daily carb...sometimes I will add in a baked potato to my dinner but very rarely...I use my fitnesspal religiously to track both my calories and my carbs as well

How is it goin? Any better? I use myfitnesspal to track carbs - it really helps to be accountable. also if you check out the atkins site it is very helpful. Atkins has an induction phase for 2 weeks and carbs need to be under 20 grams. When I am out i always have hot wings with blue cheese dipping sauce and caesar salad without croutons - super yummy and doesn't upset my diet - I usually have 2 pints of coors light draft as well - i don't necessarily lose any weight that day but i never once have gained after this meal.

:rolleyes:

p.s. it gets easier the longer you stay away from the white carbs. I grew up with those and after a few days not weeks my cravings all but disappeared.

Hi Mousek!

Well big news...I went in for my first fill last friday (4/15) and in speaking to my nutritionist, she advised against me doing Atkins because of the fat content allowed on the diet, she suggested I stop eating bacon in the morning with my eggs (this was all as a result of me complaining that I stayed the same weight from my first post opp appointment to my first fill)...she suggested I do weight watchers. I had approximately 4cc's as my first fill of an 11cc realize band and I can't say I am feeling much restriction as of yet. I am still trying however to stop when I think I'm full and lessening my portion sizes. I am still watching my simple carbs and find myself really only indulging in maybe 1 piece of wheat toast as my daily carb...sometimes I will add in a baked potato to my dinner but very rarely...I use my fitnesspal religiously to track both my calories and my carbs as well

That's great news - you sound invigorated! It oftens takes about 4 -5 fills to get to where you feel the restriction so I hope that newer bandsters know to watch what they're eating for the first while as in dieting before they reach good restriction. Weight watchers - i was doing that over the winter and lost about 10-12 pounds would have been more if I had stuck to it better - I didn't have good restriction though as I was waiting on an operation where i would have to defill that was postponed so went a while with not much restriction. I will be going back for a fill soon. Good luck and if you have any questions or need support please feel free to email me. I've done every diet there is but this time I have my lapband to ensure that i stay down at the weight i want.

:D

Well big news...I went in for my first fill last friday (4/15) and in speaking to my nutritionist, she advised against me doing Atkins because of the fat content allowed on the diet, she suggested I stop eating bacon in the morning with my eggs (this was all as a result of me complaining that I stayed the same weight from my first post opp appointment to my first fill)...she suggested I do weight watchers.

Not surprising. Despite studies showing that fat is not the problem...carbs are the problem...some people just can't get rid of their blinders...and the nutrition/diet industry has huge blinders.

Studies show that people on low carb/high fat diets lose more weight and improve their lipid profile twice as much as the low carb/low fat diets. Studies show that carbs cause people to get fat...not fat. Keep in mind that low carb is under 60gm...not 160gm as some programs like to believe. For some of us, even 60gm is too much. I generally eat 30-45 and never over 45. If I do, I stop losing...even at 1200 calories.

If you're monitoring what you eat in something like fitday.com and know without a shadow of a doubt that your carbs are under 60gm, your calories under 1200 and your fats around 60%...then I'd take a look at your carbs again because you might still be eating too many...or maybe even the wrong kind.

If you're happy eating a higher carb diet, and losing and have no issues with metabolic disorders (e.g. diabetes), then there's less motivation to do a low carb diet...but if you *need* to do a low carb diet, then torturing yourself with a low fat diet as well seems pointless given that studies show the higher fat, low carb diet is not the problem they thought it would be.

Good books to read on the subject:

The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

Good luck with whichever WOE you choose to do. Bottom line - the best way is the one we can stick to for life.

Not surprising. Despite studies showing that fat is not the problem...carbs are the problem...some people just can't get rid of their blinders...and the nutrition/diet industry has huge blinders.

Studies show that people on low carb/high fat diets lose more weight and improve their lipid profile twice as much as the low carb/low fat diets. Studies show that carbs cause people to get fat...not fat. Keep in mind that low carb is under 60gm...not 160gm as some programs like to believe. For some of us, even 60gm is too much. I generally eat 30-45 and never over 45. If I do, I stop losing...even at 1200 calories.

If you're monitoring what you eat in something like fitday.com and know without a shadow of a doubt that your carbs are under 60gm, your calories under 1200 and your fats around 60%...then I'd take a look at your carbs again because you might still be eating too many...or maybe even the wrong kind.

If you're happy eating a higher carb diet, and losing and have no issues with metabolic disorders (e.g. diabetes), then there's less motivation to do a low carb diet...but if you *need* to do a low carb diet, then torturing yourself with a low fat diet as well seems pointless given that studies show the higher fat, low carb diet is not the problem they thought it would be.

Good books to read on the subject:

The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

Good luck with whichever WOE you choose to do. Bottom line - the best way is the one we can stick to for life.

Good advice.

:waytogo:

Alot of wommen respond really well to the low carb diet. And it actually fits in with how we are supose to eat around our plate as lap band patients. meat, veggie then some carbs if there is room. I found out about this diet after i was diagnosed with PCOS and meet with the author in her office at the fertility clinic i was going to at the time.

The PCOS DIET BOOK by Hillary Wright is Low Carb and outlines a senseable approach for eating low carb. You can also check out the PCOS DIET WORKBOOK by Angella Grassi. Basically eatting small amounts of carbs in forms of say 1/3 cup of mashed potato with dinner is not going to kill you or say a 1/2 cup worth of fruit as long as you balance it out with some protien to help the body balance the suggar rush into the blood stream.

Hope this helps.

icestorm12132008

George Stella has three low-carb cookbooks that ae excellent. There is also a low-carb comfort food cookbook--I am too lazy to look the author's name up. I have found excellent recipes in each of them.