Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My question for the day - I was banded this past Friday. I'm still on liquids, just started my Protein Shakes. Getting to move up to mashed potatoes and such on Friday. I feel like I'm eating just to eat, like just to be able to have energy. I have no desire whatsoever to eat, I'm not feeling hungry, no cravings, nothing. Now this may all go away by the time I finish this post, but it's struck me as odd because I've seen so many people talking about how hungry they were. I almost forgot to eat yesterday. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it just because I've been on liquids for the last week, and I'll start getting hungry again when I get to where I can have fish and chicken and things like that next week?

I think it is different for everyone... I went on my liquid diet for 2 weeks post op and wasnt hungry one bit.. like you I would forget to even drink my Protein shakes... It took MONTHS for my hunger to return... Take it as a good thing!!! :D

My question for the day - I was banded this past Friday. I'm still on liquids, just started my Protein shakes. Getting to move up to mashed potatoes and such on Friday. I feel like I'm eating just to eat, like just to be able to have energy. I have no desire whatsoever to eat, I'm not feeling hungry, no cravings, nothing. Now this may all go away by the time I finish this post, but it's struck me as odd because I've seen so many people talking about how hungry they were. I almost forgot to eat yesterday. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it just because I've been on liquids for the last week, and I'll start getting hungry again when I get to where I can have fish and chicken and things like that next week?

I was just like you after surgery. I was on a liquid diet for two weeks before and that was sooooo hard. The two weeks after was a breeze because I was never hungry. I had to force myself to get all of my shakes and Water in. I took sugar free Jello to work and never ate it because I didn't want it. I was on two weeks of mushies after that and I would get full on 1/2 cup of mushie food. It seemed so crazy to me and it took a few months for me to actually feel hungry. I still don't get hungry like I did before surgery, but I have some days I want more to eat.

Don't worry and it will all work out. Don't think you have to feel exactly like all of the post op scenarios you read. Just listen to your doctor and your body and everything will fall into place.

Good luck!!

My question for the day - I was banded this past Friday. I'm still on liquids, just started my Protein shakes. Getting to move up to mashed potatoes and such on Friday. I feel like I'm eating just to eat, like just to be able to have energy. I have no desire whatsoever to eat, I'm not feeling hungry, no cravings, nothing. Now this may all go away by the time I finish this post, but it's struck me as odd because I've seen so many people talking about how hungry they were. I almost forgot to eat yesterday. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it just because I've been on liquids for the last week, and I'll start getting hungry again when I get to where I can have fish and chicken and things like that next week?

So soon after the surgery, you still maybe swollen in the tummy area. This can also make you feel full and you won't be hungry. The hunger feelings may come after you have healed a bit and the swelling goes down. But, I've heard some people say that they were restricted right after surgery, but it maybe possible you are too.

I was like you for about a week and then they hunger came hard. :lol: Then I was in bandster hell for a couple months until I started getting my fills.

Good luck to you!

Julia

Tyler, my appetite was crazy weird after surgery for several weeks, until I was allowed back on solid foods. (I had to do three weeks of liquids, then a week of mushies, before going back on solids.) I had zero appetite, and no desire to eat at all. I forced myself to eat on a schedule because it said it was time to eat. I drank two ounces of Protein shake every hour for 16 hours a day, with nonstop Water in between. Fun times!

When I was allowed back on solid foods, my taste buds had to be trained all over again. things that I liked before suddenly tasted bad to me (like coffee -- HATED the taste of it all of a sudden.) But over several weeks my taste for it came back, and now I'm fine with it. I have no sugar desire now, and the mere thought of eating a sweet dessert is a turn-off. Weird.

Today marks four months since my surgery. I eat normally (for a bandster) but I still don't get overly hungry. If I realize it's been five or six hours since I last ate something, I suddenly notice my stomach is rumbling. I don't pay attention to my stomach anymore, so rarely notice it's rumbling at me. Kind of strange.

Dave

Thank you all for the replies! I've got a hundred questions running through my head it seems like. I didn't realize how much time I spent eating, I couldn't tell until now that I've got all this free time. I'm really looking forward to eggs and oatmeal on Friday.

I havent been hungry very often since surgery. I was banded four months ago and haven't had a fill yet. I sometimes feel a bit foggy in the head and then I realize

I haven't eaten. It is very common for me to take in less than 600 calories. It isn't on purpose - I am just taking advantage of not being hungry. I walked 6 miles this morning and just realized I hadn't eaten today. I kind of like the fact that I'm not obsessing over food but totally recognize that I need to set up a three meals a day plan. My nutrionist and surgeon just tell me it is ok right now.

You're probably still a little swollen; but that restriction may stick. Mine did, so I never needed/won't ever get a fill.