Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on 4/18....nerves setting in and then I read....

on here first thing this a.m. all these negative "horrible band" posts that just freaked me out even more. In my mind I know this is the route I need to go....nothing has worked, I have to try it, but I read all these horror stories and am scared to death now. I'm not scared of failure, I can deal with that because if I fail, it will be my fault...the band isn't out to get me..but I'm scared of all this pain people are talking about, all the problems, and complications they have. Is it worth it with all these issues that seem to be running rampent in the lap band community?

I know the rules and I know it isn't a magic wand, that isn't what scares me.

What else freaks me out is that my husband has this really strange sixth sense....he reads people and situations to the point that is it scary and he is "afraid I'm going to regret this surgery." Makes me stop and think....what if his sixth sense is telling me something?

I need positive uplifting stories and no more negative nillies.....I may just have to stay off of here till after the surgery and then I'll come back on to tell you if I'm having problems?

Thanks everyone....

We tend to focus on the negative pre-surgery; I did as well. I went as far as to think holy sh!t I could die. But really? I could have also died being 120lbs overweight. I could die driving 50 miles to work each morning. I knew about the complications and I realized that hey, complications will and can happen. If I did have complications I had complete faith in my surgeon and his team for any help I'd need.

Keep in mind that this is a support forum, and while there are some of us successful bandsters who stick around, a lot of those who are successful stop coming here once they've lost their weight. People who seek out support and help are generally those who are having trouble. Why would someone who is successful come to a support forum?

I advise you to find the lapband successes forum and see that while there are people with complications, failures, slips, erosions, no restriction, etc. there are also people who this tool works for amazingly. I like to put myself in that group. 113lbs down in 11 months. No fill, no complications. It was my first surgery, I'm a huge pain baby, and I made it through just fine. Only uses my pain meds for 2-3 days. I started off in size 20 pants, I'm now wearing size 2. Down from XXL tops to S and sometimes XS.

It's important to know about the failures and the complications, but also surround yourself with the positive. I have a strong belief that the band works when you work it; simple.

Yeah, I agree with you ! I am getting ready to be banded as well.... and there is a lot of negative feedback and I totally understand everyone's experience is going to be different. BUT I think we are only going to get out of it what we put into it and I dont know about you but we have to stay positive !

bad out, bad in...... good out good in has been my motto lately and it works !

good Luck

chuck

I read a lot of negatives when preparing for my surgery but the risks are so much less than an RNY, so I took the chance. Here I am 10 1/2 months later and down 111 pounds and below my goal weight. I have nothing but great things happening with this band. I get stuck sometimes but only because I eat too fast or take big bites. But I am off my blood pressure meds, I am only on 1 anti-depressant for my bipolar rather than 3 because I am happy again with myself. You have to make the decision for yourself, but I am so glad I did it. Good luck!

HI, I am also going to be banded on April 29th, and am a little scared by all the banding gone wrong. So I know how you feel, and husband supports me, however he is uncertain about the whole surgery aspect, it worries him. However I know I have to do this for me, and there are a lot of great success stories as well. Hang in there and god forbid there is a problem it is removable, but as my surgon has told me your not going to want your band removed. I will have success, and so will you.

Feeling better and more positive....Thanks

I know that is up to me, and I know this is what I need to do and I know that I can fail or succeed by my own hand (and mouth) ...I'm good with that and will accept the responsiblity.

I've also gone through all the pros/cons with other surgery and that is why I'm all for the band....what was freaking me was the "chest pains" the constant pain in the stomach/port area, the vomiting and other complaints. I know it is going to happen at some point, I'm going to be too "comfortable" and take too much on the fork or eat too fast, but these people that have these constant problems, makes me wonder BUT then I hear from the positives and I'm reassured that I have to try it. If' it is an issue for me and I have problems, nothings cut, nothings removed and it can be fixed.

I do have a question and maybe someone out there knows.....because my surgeon's office didn't really have an answer. SAY I do have a problem, like erosion and they have to remove it, let the stomach heal etc. Can I get it replaced without having to go through the entire pre-approval procedure again? I know it may vary on insurance companies, but just as a general idea, does anyone have any ideas or has it happened to anyone? I just wonder. I would wonder too, if I'm successful on the band....and I have an erosion problem, would I be able to get the sleeve instead? I know they were saying that if you weren't successful on the band that they probably wouldn't do a sleeve because they are both "restrictive"....just some thinking I've been doing.

There is a web site called sparkpeople.com that has a lab band and surgery group. It's awesome. I am on both sites. You can never get to much information.

I can understand where your coming from. Your what they call Newbies, and it's surgery that you might be making a mistake with.

Well one thing for sure,,, it works.

Second there are things that you all should know like if you got stuck, how do you really get rid of the problem.

You have a Dietitian, ask her some questions. If your Dr. can't answer, she better be able to.

Wright out a list of questions, and concerns, and give it to your surgeon. (MINE ANSWERED EVERY QUESTION ON THAT PAPER.)

Get some answers ! That way you can be knowledgeable, and at rest when you go into surgery (IF YOU CHOOSE !)

I do have a question and maybe someone out there knows.....because my surgeon's office didn't really have an answer. SAY I do have a problem, like erosion and they have to remove it, let the stomach heal etc. Can I get it replaced without having to go through the entire pre-approval procedure again? I know it may vary on insurance companies, but just as a general idea, does anyone have any ideas or has it happened to anyone? I just wonder. I would wonder too, if I'm successful on the band....and I have an erosion problem, would I be able to get the sleeve instead? I know they were saying that if you weren't successful on the band that they probably wouldn't do a sleeve because they are both "restrictive"....just some thinking I've been doing.

Ok...first, be glad for the posts that talk about the negatives. When I was doing my research, nobody was talking about these things so I went into surgery with a whole different perspective. Knowing then what I know now...I might (stressing might) have made a different decision but at least I would have had the full story.

I read an article (I swear I need to print these off or bookmark them) that said only 4 out of 10 banders are successful...success being determined as only losing 50% of their excess weight and that's only of the percentage who don't end up losing their band from erosion or other medical complications and I can't remember whether these problems were 60% or 40%...sorry.

I had my band out two weeks ago due to chronic phrenic nerve pain. My insurance did not have to give prior approval since it wasn't elective...it was due to a 'complication'. I'd guess most insurance companies work that way. My surgeon wanted to do a revision to the sleeve. I would have had to go through the whole approval process (psych eval mainly) again for that one.

My insurance company had no problem in approving the sleeve (I didn't get it by the way) because the band was being removed because of a complication...not because it didn't work. Even then, the surgeon said they know how to word the paperwork so insurance companies will approve.

Oh, and according to my surgeon, the band is not considered 'restrictive' but the sleeve is so again perhaps it's just in the wording?

You can read about the experiences of others...good and bad...but it still won't tell you how you'll do. Ask yourself this...if you don't get the band, then what will you do? Yes, there's a risk you'll be one of those who fail at the band *or* are failed by the band (and it happens more than the manufacturers would like to admit)...but you could also be one of those who are successful. Personally, I wouldn't give up without trying. :)