Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had a doctor recommend they dont get a lapband?

Hi,

My name is Jennifer. I have actually been researching the band for about 4 years. I went toa seminar and everything. My insurance has opted out of covering any WLS. I have my consultation on April 7th. I was wondering if anyone has had a doctor say they dont recommend the surgery? I only have hypothyroidism, no high blood pressure, diabeties or any of the "usual" co-morbitities associated with being over weight. I am 5'2" and currenlty weigh 237lbs. My highest weight was 258lbs? Looking for some support as well as my family is TOTALY against me doing this! Ok let me stop rambling! LOL!

Well, with being 5'2' and over 200 pounds you're at risk for developing many life threatening comorbidities down the road...something I ignored in my youth and sure enough now that I'm getting older it's catching up. How old are you now?

I'm 5'2", started at 297 pounds and was banded 2 weeks ago...in the past 3 weeks I've dropped a little over 17. The way I look at it, each pound lost is leding to a healthier life both now and down the road. I don't see the surgery as being just to treat current issues, but it greatly reduces the risk for cardivascular disease, type 2 diabetes, mobility issues, the list goes on. Losing weight in general will do this but those of us who have the band have typically exhausted about every diet out there and it's kind-of a "last option" in many cases. Not sure what your weight loss history is?

Jennifer,

Welcome to the group of non-conforming to what the insurance companies want. I too have hypothyroidism, my BMI was 1 point below where the insurance would qualify me and my weight was 3 pounds below qualifying. That said I was banded just yesterday. I met multiple times with my private physician, had my weights charted and T4 levels done on a regualr basis for documentation. When it was the day to meet with the surgeon again, I wore heavy jewelry, a leather jacket and had coins and keys in my pockets. Guess what I met the insurance criteria. Was approved in less than a week and could have had surg 2 weeks later.

As for support of family and friends. My DH is very supportive, nobody else so my parents and my sister do not even know that I had the procedure done. I had several friends call the house yesterday looking for me, I returned their calls today and told them that they all know that I have been struggling for years, I have been working with a doctor for quite some time and needed to do this to get HEALTHY not thin, and they were all great!!! They said that they completely understood and one actually asked me who did my surgery because she thought that she would not qualify either, just like me.

You have to remember that you are looking into doing this for YOU not for anyone else and it is a means to get healthy and prevent other diseases and damage to your body that can occur. Best of luck to you no matter what you decide.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I agree that since diabetes runs in my family it's a preventitive maintence type of thing as well. Best wishes on your journey!

Well, with being 5'2' and over 200 pounds you're at risk for developing many life threatening comorbidities down the road...something I ignored in my youth and sure enough now that I'm getting older it's catching up. How old are you now?

I'm 5'2", started at 297 pounds and was banded 2 weeks ago...in the past 3 weeks I've dropped a little over 17. The way I look at it, each pound lost is leding to a healthier life both now and down the road. I don't see the surgery as being just to treat current issues, but it greatly reduces the risk for cardivascular disease, type 2 diabetes, mobility issues, the list goes on. Losing weight in general will do this but those of us who have the band have typically exhausted about every diet out there and it's kind-of a "last option" in many cases. Not sure what your weight loss history is?

My Doctors asked me why I do not want the bypass as I could lose faster and maybe more weight. I told him one, I was self pay and could not afford it and two I was scared of it. So we continued to talk about the Band.

Cheri

I'm with you the bypass seems way to drastic for me. I think the band is right for me. I am self pay as well. I have my consultation of Friday april 7th so i pray to return with good news.

Jennifer

My Doctors asked me why I do not want the bypass as I could lose faster and maybe more weight. I told him one, I was self pay and could not afford it and two I was scared of it. So we continued to talk about the Band.

Cheri

Jennifer -

One of the talking points that my program stresses at the outset is that obesity is a disease. It's not an effect of laziness. Especially if you are at the point of seeking surgery to help, it's clear that you have tried everything you can and are serious about losing the weight and being healthier. Whether it is genetic or not, obesity is not something that the average person can just "get over." My obesity is genetic, but I had kept it under control for a long time until my late 20s. Then some life circumstances got in the way and made it very difficult to manage. I knew that I needed a tool to help me regain control of it. I look at my band as a tool to manage my disease in the same way as diabetics have tools to change their eating and lifestyle to manage theirs.

I come from a family with a long history of struggling with weight and while they are supportive, they worry that it's just one more fad like all of the ones they've tried. I know this isn't the case, and the research and success results prove that. We have the medical technology now to have minimally invasive surgery to put a tool in place to help us manage our obesity. Why on earth should we not do so? I don't want to be one of the fat american statistics, and I don't have to. Neither do you.

I was heavier than you when I had my initial consultation, but also taller, and I also didn't have any diabetes or the other things. I still qualified for the surgery based on it being a preventative measure. I would be suprised if, at your height and weight, you didn't also qualify. Take heart, and be strong in your decision. This has nothing to do with your family. This is about you and what you want and need. You have obviously taken years to think about this and research it. Give yourself the credit of knowing what is right for you.

Good Luck!

Thank you sooooo much for you encouraging words. This isnt the first time my family hasnt supported me in major decisions I have made. About 5 years ago(i'm a therapist) I decided to become a traveling therapist where I would take different assignment for 13 weeks throughout the country and all i had to do was pack my bags and go.. My companies paid for my lodging. My family had a fit. I did that for 2 years and have never regretted it. I'm like the black sheep though, I'm the youngest, but most adventurous! So it really is no surprize they arent supporting me. ASK ME IF I CARE ANYMORE! I have the 2 friends that i've decided to share this with and they support me 100%. They have seen all the times i've tried and failed at losing weight, and yet love me inspite of it. I am getting to the point where I can admit that I use food for comfort, when i'm bored or just cuz i see it! So I'm looking forward to my first consultation on april 7th and looking forward to moving full steam ahead. I hope to be banded by late spring, since I dont have to go through the insurance hoops.

Thanks a million.

Jennifer

Jennifer -

One of the talking points that my program stresses at the outset is that obesity is a disease. It's not an effect of laziness. Especially if you are at the point of seeking surgery to help, it's clear that you have tried everything you can and are serious about losing the weight and being healthier. Whether it is genetic or not, obesity is not something that the average person can just "get over." My obesity is genetic, but I had kept it under control for a long time until my late 20s. Then some life circumstances got in the way and made it very difficult to manage. I knew that I needed a tool to help me regain control of it. I look at my band as a tool to manage my disease in the same way as diabetics have tools to change their eating and lifestyle to manage theirs.

I come from a family with a long history of struggling with weight and while they are supportive, they worry that it's just one more fad like all of the ones they've tried. I know this isn't the case, and the research and success results prove that. We have the medical technology now to have minimally invasive surgery to put a tool in place to help us manage our obesity. Why on earth should we not do so? I don't want to be one of the fat american statistics, and I don't have to. Neither do you.

I was heavier than you when I had my initial consultation, but also taller, and I also didn't have any diabetes or the other things. I still qualified for the surgery based on it being a preventative measure. I would be suprised if, at your height and weight, you didn't also qualify. Take heart, and be strong in your decision. This has nothing to do with your family. This is about you and what you want and need. You have obviously taken years to think about this and research it. Give yourself the credit of knowing what is right for you.

Good Luck!

I only have hypothyroidism, no high blood pressure, diabeties or any of the "usual" co-morbitities associated with being over weight. I am 5'2" and currenlty weigh 237lbs. My highest weight was 258lbs? Looking for some support as well as my family is TOTALY against me doing this! Ok let me stop rambling! LOL!

Does it matter that you don't have the usual comorbidities? I was once 237 lb on a 5'3" frame. Eventually I found myself at 330 lbs, unable to walk across the room without being out of breath.

The fact is that you're carrying 237 lbs on a 5'2" frame. That should be enough! Why wait until you've spent enough years at that weight...or higher...to develop joint problems, heart problems, etc.?

Remember that you're doing this for you...not your family. It's always nice to have their support, but that's the nice thing about the LB. The vast majority of the people here are very supportive so make them your support group. Also check with your surgeon. They may also have a list of support groups for banders in your area.