Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you be to overweight for lap band

I am going to a seminar on the 4th of April for lap band surgery in Tulsa, OK. I am looking forward to seeing what they have to say. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that had to loose 200 #'s or more and if they will even perform the surgery on someone my size. Looking forwarding to getting this done but want to know if anyone else had that much weight to loose?

Also if there is anyone in the Tulsa area would love to hear where you had your surgery done here. Thanks

In one of the support group meetings I attended early on, there were people who weighed over 400 pounds and who had the band. Despite the popular view that someone who weighs 400 pounds is less likely to be successful because (according to one gastric surgeon) "most people who get to 400 pounds aren't very good at following the rules." I wish he could've met these people because they were very successful if their weight loss was any indication (and it is).

Some surgeons believe that the more overweight you are, the less successful you will be, but the reality is that bypass and vertical sleeve will not be successful either if the person can't follow the rules.

I don't know if there is an upper limit based on the logistical problems of putting a band on someone who would obviously have a lot more fat around their liver and stomach but you might find your answer by doing a search on the 'net.

There is a forum on this site for people who have 200 lbs or more to loose..... My surgeons office has a weight limit of 475lbs but that is only because of a peice of equipment that they use that has that same weight limit just in case they need to use it otherwise they would still operate. Also, if someone is over that weight they will work with the person to get down to the max weight before surgery and then do the surgery.

I think you will be ok. I wondered myself, I have about 158lbs to loose and was worried that I might be "too big" to have the surgery but turns out that I'm not :)

Good luck to you!

I had about 200 to lose. Forwarned is forearmed. I went to two seminars at the first they said everyone would be expected to lose 15 pounds. There was a big groan that went up from the crowd. As it was the doctor I went with required that I lose 10% body weight which was 34 pounds. My surgery had to be postponed for other health reasons so I ended up losing over 50 before surgery. It is doable!

I started out at 440lbs, Most people still don't believe I was that big, I am 6'1' so I carried the weight well. My Surgeon wanted me to get down to 400lbs before he would operate. It took me a month and a half to get there but I got the surgery. I was Banded September of last year and after a few months of maintaining, I have started to see the weight come down. It took me a little longer to get restricted because my port flipped in November and I couldn't get in to fix it until January. I have since lost another 30lbs.

As long as the Morbid Obese realize that it is going to take longer and also that it is a learning experience then we should do fine. My family always ask me if I can eat certain foods and my stock answer is, I don't Know but I can give it a try.

Thanks for the responses. I am at 355 and know i will need to loose some before getting the procedure. I am looking forward to getting started on this im ready to change my life.

My surgeon told me he usually will not do the LapBand on people with a BMI over 42. But since I don't have any current medical conditions then he didn't have a problem giving me the LapBand.

Luke

I'm not sure.. but I don't think it's realistic to expect to lose 200 pounds with the lapband. Sure, some people do, but 50-100 or so is more realistic. The weight loss isn't fast enough with the band for someone that large.

I started at 383.

Today I'm 190.

I've lost about 190 lbs and am on my way to a 200lb loss, and hope to lose about 220 or so.

I ran a 5K on 3/19 and a 2 mile race on 3/26 (well, I ran some and walked some. October of 2010, I was only able to walk a 5K).

IT IS VERY DOABLE!!! My BMI was over 60 when I started. I'm still obese according to my BMI, but BMI's are NOT adjusted for age or for athletes. Use the BMI as a guide, not an end-all/be-all attainment.

My RHR (resting heart rate) is now 48. My body fat % is somewhere between 23 & 25. My bariatric surgeon is very happy with my progress and so are all my other docs (PCP, Oncologist).

You can lose as much as you want with a band. If this is what you want and you prepare yourself mentally for this.. you can do it!!

Oh.. and my surgeon did not require me to lose any at all before surgery. He said it would be good if I could, but didn't require it.

My aunt was 465 when she got her band. She is now 225!! She feels great and looks amazing!!! Her family Dr wanted her to get bypass but she said no. Thank god because she has had great results!

I was banded in April of 2010. When I went in to the seminar I weighed 597lbs and had a BMI of 93. My 1 year is in a few weeks and I am under 450lbs. I lost 30+ lbs before going to the seminar. ( I wanted to prove to myself I could lose weight w/o the band. It was always the issue of keeping it off). Losing 200 pounds w a band is doable as a matter of fact my Dr thinks I can lose another 250lbs w my band. Granted it will not happen overnight and it is not easy at all. My band is very tight. I can eat about 2 or 3 bites and I am done. But it is working and I am getting my life back to where it should be. With me out doing things w my Wife an daughter not stuck at home in front of the TV or PC stuffing my face.

Good luck in finding that right Dr. I saw several before finding one that was willing to operate and that i felt comfortable with. But when you find them you will know it.B)r&r.gif

My husband was 619 when he went to his first consultation with the lap band surgeon. They referred him to a special diet doctor to help him get down to a more acceptable surgery weight. Since Nov. 29, 2010, he's been able to get down to 516 lbs. They want him to get down to 490 in order to get the surgery. He's very determined and they feel he has a good chance of being successful with the band. Good luck to you! I think if you're very motivated and will do everything as directed, it will work out!

When I went in for my consult I weight 478.

Doctor wanted me down to 450 for Surgery.

On the Surgery day I was at 451. I was so scared that they wouldn't do the surgery because I was 1 pound over.

They did the surgery, and I'm down in total 112 pounds. It's been about 1.5 years and I'm still losing.

Close to the 100 pound mark I joined a gym and have been working my butt off.

So yeah don't let large ness fool ya. I had to lose 28 pounds before my surgery. It actually was easy.

I limited my plate size, and had Slimfast twice a day. The weight fell off. Surgery went without a hitch and here I am the healthiest I've been in over a decade.