Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adkins Diet Menu Suggestions

My surgery is on 3/24/11. I am so excited and a little nervous.

Since I have a few days to plan my menus for the next two weeks of pre-op.

I need some suggestions for the menu. I am really bad at this planning part.

I have 3 kids under 8 and they all eat different things so I usually just eat what they do.

Please help.

Please please help.

I will be doing the adkins diet.

Small lunch and small supper.

Thanks.

google Atkins diet recipes, and see what you get!

I drink MUSCLE MILK shakes for lunch, stay lite for dinner.

I'd look towards a lot of low carb foods such as chicken, broccoli, turkey, Beans (high Fiber = low net carb), tuna, eggs, cheese, lettuce, low carb wraps, bacon, sour cream, etc.

Try googling Atkins recipes and read about the diet if you want to be the most successful.

As for meals when I did "low carb" I usually ate bacon, eggs, and cheese for Breakfast, a salad with chicken and a low-carb Salad Dressing, and usually 4oz chicken or turkey with broccoli and some other vegetable.

Good luck!

Atkins is just low carb (usually 30gm, although some people can go up as high as 60gm per day) and about 60-70% fat. At first it's just low carb vegies for your carbs. At later stages, as you get closer to maintenance, you can add in fruit. At maintenance you can add in grains although he says they are not necessary. I know people who've been on Atkins for decades and still only eat just vegies or vegies and limited fruits.

I eat bacon and eggs or just eggs for Breakfast cooked in a bit of butter. lunch is usually a salad made from bibb lettuce (when I can get it) or romaine with a hard boiled egg, .5 oz crumbled bacon, .5 oz shredded cheese and 2 Tbs full fat blue cheese dressing. dinner is either the same (when I'm on a salad kick) or just 3-4 oz of Protein with 1/2-1 cup of low carb vegies (broccoli, green Beans, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, etc.). Vegies are usually steamed and then sprinkled with parmesan cheese or a bit of lemon pepper butter or vinagrette made with olive oil. meat is fried, baked, grilled, roasted, etc.

Other things I've eaten interchangeably for lunch or dinner: tuna or chopped chicken mixed with mayo and celery on Tomato wedges, mini-meatballs with a sour cream/cream stroganoff type sauce or a fettucine alfredo sauce (basically butter, cheese and cream) and a side vegie, crustless quiche with cheese and mushrooms, ham and cheese rollups. I have a lot more.

I also make caulitaters which is nothing more than roasted cauliflower that is then put in the cuisinart with some butter and a bit of whipping cream. Yes, they still taste somewhat like cauliflower but the texture and satisfaction is the same as I get with mashed potatoes.

I have a tweaked recipe for Dr. Atkins Revolution rolls which I make when I'm jonesing for a hamburger on a bun and a flax muffin I make when I really am feeling the need for something more reminiscent of a 'sweet'.

Perhaps instead of eating like your children, your children should be eating like you. :)

I am on liquids with two meals a day. They said to stick with low cars/high Protein and get suggestions from the Atkins diet.

So, I am doing a shake for breakfast and snack. chicken breast from Micky D's for lunch and a chicken breast and salad for supper.

If I am really busy I do a shake all day.

I only have two more days on this diet. My surgery is Thursday. Yay!!!!!

I am down 9 lbs. Would be more but I am still having a diet coke once a day.....maybe 6 oz today. Going off completely tomorrow.

:( Gonna miss my Diet C.

:) But sooooo gonna love my new body.

Atkins is just low carb (usually 30gm, although some people can go up as high as 60gm per day) and about 60-70% fat. At first it's just low carb vegies for your carbs. At later stages, as you get closer to maintenance, you can add in fruit. At maintenance you can add in grains although he says they are not necessary. I know people who've been on Atkins for decades and still only eat just vegies or vegies and limited fruits.

I eat bacon and eggs or just eggs for Breakfast cooked in a bit of butter. lunch is usually a salad made from bibb lettuce (when I can get it) or romaine with a hard boiled egg, .5 oz crumbled bacon, .5 oz shredded cheese and 2 Tbs full fat blue cheese dressing. dinner is either the same (when I'm on a salad kick) or just 3-4 oz of Protein with 1/2-1 cup of low carb vegies (broccoli, green Beans, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, etc.). Vegies are usually steamed and then sprinkled with parmesan cheese or a bit of lemon pepper butter or vinagrette made with olive oil. meat is fried, baked, grilled, roasted, etc.

Other things I've eaten interchangeably for lunch or dinner: tuna or chopped chicken mixed with mayo and celery on Tomato wedges, mini-meatballs with a sour cream/cream stroganoff type sauce or a fettucine alfredo sauce (basically butter, cheese and cream) and a side vegie, crustless quiche with cheese and mushrooms, ham and cheese rollups. I have a lot more.

I also make caulitaters which is nothing more than roasted cauliflower that is then put in the cuisinart with some butter and a bit of whipping cream. Yes, they still taste somewhat like cauliflower but the texture and satisfaction is the same as I get with mashed potatoes.

I have a tweaked recipe for Dr. Atkins Revolution rolls which I make when I'm jonesing for a hamburger on a bun and a flax muffin I make when I really am feeling the need for something more reminiscent of a 'sweet'.

Perhaps instead of eating like your children, your children should be eating like you. :)

As a pre-op diet, I don't think it would work. I am very much allergic to the shakes and had to do an all-food pre-op diet, and most of what you've listed was definitely off the menu. I could have all the raw veggies I wanted and some cooked ones, but absolutely no cooked carrots, peas and no potatoes at all. Of course no rice, breads, pastas... No fruit AT ALL because it's all sugar, even if it's natural and will keep your liver all fluffy and full. My fat content was to be at an absolute minimum so no bacon, no salad dressings, mayo, cheese, regular yogurt (non-fat with NO fruit on bottom ok), butter, non-skim milk, no fatty cuts of meat, no frying, no olive or vegetable oil.

Amazingly enough you can make a decent enough chicken Soup with zucchini, eggplant, celery, squash cubes, low sodium chicken broth, chicken breasts and seasoning. You have to season the crap out of it to compensate for the lack of fats and sodium so I used an extremely generous portion of basil and parsley. Making regular chicken Soup and merely fishing out the noodles does not cut it.

I had to do my pre-op diet for three and a bit weeks. By the end I was so sick of chicken and fish. The regular Atkins diet really doesn't cut it as a pre-op diet due to its higher fat content. pureed avocado and balsamic vinegar really actually makes a decent Salad Dressing. Go light on the vinegar due to its sugar content.