Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI everyone, I am obsessing about every aspect of surgery. Someone posted that they had a catheter for surgery. I did not know that they would use one for this surgery. What I would like to know is, did you have a catheter inserted for surgery? If yes, did they do it pre-op or after you were asleep? I assumed this would not be necessary but I would really like to know what to expect.

Thanks

I assume you are talking about a urinary catheter? I did not need one, I think since the procedure is relatively short, about an hour, one is not needed. I haven't seen anyone post that they had one. If you do need one hopefully it is after you are asleep. I was very nervous about being naked i the OR. Luckily they did not take my gown off until after I was asleep. Made me a lot more comfortable since I am very modest. If you are talking an IV catheter, everyone gets one.

I didn't have one either... must have been a special reason for it.

I did'nt have one either. Almost would have been nice because with the IV fluids overnight I was in the bathroom All Night.

I didn't have one either, and was so glad since the last time I had one the area hurt afterwards, I don't think it's a gentle process! But the last time they waited until I was asleep to insert and remove.

AND, for those who are worried about being naked in the OR, I wasn't! Maybe my Dr is different, but I know I wasn't because my Dr video tapes the surgery and gives us a copy, the only skin showing in my video is my belly, everything else was covered with blankets. I was so glad!!

Good luck to you!!

I might be wrong but I thought I was told that it was standard procedure to use a urinary cath during all surgical procedures. It is normally inserted while you are asleep and removed just before the wake up. This way if there are any accidents (especially since they are pumping you full of fluids), that it won't cause any problems.

That said I neither remember getting one or having it removed for my surgery....if I did get one.

i didn't have one but i kinda wish i had. that was my first memory waking up after surgery. i had to pee. the nurse assured me i didn't have to go and i insisted i DID have to go... but i wanted to get UP and go. she put me on a bed pan. needless to say, i couldn't go. and she said "i told you so". when i was in my room after surgery, it hurt so bad to stand up and lay back down that i would have put up with the pain from the cath being taken out. and it seemed to take forever to even GO pee. anyway... probably too much info lol

Nope... I didn't have one. I was told most short surgical procedures don't require one. When you get your iv they will turn it up to a fast drip.. And I can guarantee that before you go into surgery you will have to pee... Your bladder will be empty when they put you under and you will be up before you know it.

Yeah I don't think I had a cath either but I did have an issue going after the SG. My Doc requires that you go at least once in the recovery room (to make sure you can ambulate, etc) and my SG took like 1 hour, it took me 3 IV bags and 6 hours on a fast drip before i could ever pee lol. Apparently I am part camel

I did have a catheter for my surgery. It was placed after I went to sleep and removed before I woke up. I did have a problem voiding after surgery though, and required a straight cath (cath placed, bladder drained, and then removed). Then I was able to go ok. My nurse's said it was common for some to not be able to go after surgery. I didn't also spend the night per my insurance's request. I worried too...,but it wasn't that bad. You will do great.:rolleyes:

HI everyone, I am obsessing about every aspect of surgery. Someone posted that they had a catheter for surgery. I did not know that they would use one for this surgery. What I would like to know is, did you have a catheter inserted for surgery? If yes, did they do it pre-op or after you were asleep? I assumed this would not be necessary but I would really like to know what to expect.

Thanks

I had one. They put it in after I was asleep, and it stayed in until the next day before I left.

Pretty sure I didn't have one, and soon after I was able to get up and pee.

Also you've been without liquids for at least 12 hours shouldn't have too much to pee

Yes, I had one. They put it in after I was asleep and took it out when it was apparent I was recovered enough from the anesthesia that I could make it to the bathroom without falling into the toilet. No biggie.