Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What about vanity surgery

I am beautiful and have been fat for many years just like the models with a new nose or new lips or the guys with hair implants they want to look better. Right?? When I was a teenager I was in a beauty pagent 15% of the girls from all over Texas had already had some form of surgery to augment their appearance. WOW and people comment on why I went to the drastic extremes of having surgery for weight loss. Get over it!! I am vain too I want to be beautiful and NOT fat.. I won't need to change my lips nose or boobs (yet) but why the double standard ??? We should have will power... Please !! if that were the problem we would all be thin. There is a cure for obesity if you take the risk and do the work but not for uglyness and I don't only mean physical.

post-205239-13813132648376_thumb.jpg

Great pic1 Where were you guys? Maybe it's because I've (just) crossed the 50-yard line, but I just really don't care what other people (not including my good friends and my family) THINK about my decision. It's mine. That's why I have never tried to hide it. I just admit I have an eating problem, and I am facing it and this is the way I have chosen. The end. I really have never had anyone say, "Why don't you just have some will power and lose the weight w/o surgery?" No one's ever said that. I've only experienced positive responses, support, and interest. Do what is right for you, and don't worry about the others.

Cindy

I had the band for vanity purposes.

I had no co-morbidities. I was as healthy as the proverbial horse. My BMI was under 40.

I hated the way I looked and I felt about myself.

Even though I am probably THE slowest loser on the board, I wouldn't trade my band for anything. I look so much better, and because of that I FEEL better.

And isn't that what having WLS is all about?

Hi!

I know what you mean. I used to be a model and actress, so being this heavy is hard on me. Now it has given me health problems so it;s not all vanity.

But you know what? Having low self esteem and not living life to the fullest because you are ashamed of the way you look is just a good enough reason than any other.

This is it, your life, right now. And if the fat is keeping you from enjoying it...don't wait 20 years like I did, and have your youth over.

This surgery has truly reinforced to me that beforehand there was simply something broken with my appetite regulation mechanism. I have willpower, I know I do. I'm eating an exemplary diet now. I dont eat chocolate or ice cream or other foods I know I shouldnt because I know i will hinder weight loss. I go to the gym even when I dont feel like it because I know its what I need to do. I am driven and I know now this weight will come off slow and steady. It just didnt work before because what ever it was that was broken told me to eat eat eat the whole time. I was always hungry. I know now it wasnt just head hunger, since banding I've had virtually no head hunger. Something was wrong.

I can see now that all the willpower in the world would not have gotten me anywhere.

I'm also not afraid to admit at all that a very very large part of this surgery was done for vanity. My health has not suffered yet as a result of my weight loss, in fact pre surgery I was very fit and healthy - apart from my bad ankle. And the ankle was really just the excuse that let me get this process started. I actually dont think that weight loss is going to help it much, there's something really wrong with my ankle.

So I definitely dont have anything against cosmetic surgery, because to a large degree that's what lapbanding was for me. So I expect the same understanding when the tables are turned. By the same token though, I wouldnt go a Tummy Tuck or arm lift unless I were really badly afflicted by loose skin because I'm too vain to put up with the scars. I think a little loose skin (and I know for me that's probably all it will be, a tiny bit) is way better than big scars.

I can so relate to what you said about will power Jacqui. I work out and always have, I wanted to be thin so badly and always did, but something was broken with my appetite/hunger regulator, like you said.

Vanity surgery to me is when I get up the nerve to go get a few things nipped and tucked, LOL. My lapband was a major, expensive, life changing experience that I do not regret at this point.

I'm proud I had the money and the nerve to do it, just wish it had been available when I was younger.

i guess i'm in the vanity surgery bin as well. i was also 225 and people were saying, 'you're not that fat, all you have to do is eat less.' i said, 'exactly!'

but the only thing is that i had the surgery in november and i have only lost 10lbs. i have no restriction and it's getting me down a little. at least my doc's not skimpy w the fills, so i'm back for fill #2 tomorrow. wish me luck, wish me restriction!

I had surgery not for vanity reasons...even though I had no co- morbitities. I was 5'5 and weight 265 just a healthy fat person but my mother died at age 51 she weighed 98 lbs and had a heart attack..heart disease runs in my family so it was vital for me to lose the extra weight to not make my chances of a heart attack greater.