Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one else disgusted?

As I watch people eat, the way I used to eat, it just disgusts me now! Even my teenager!! She was eating fast food the other day and it was so disgusting the way she was shoveling food in (as only a teenager can!!)

But I have noticed that in general......when I see people (and I don't mean obese people either) eating large portions and mindlessly eating it.....it almost makes my physically nauseous. :blink:

Plus, I am appalled at myself because I used to eat that way......

I did have this reaction at a restaurant a couple weeks ago, and then felt really guilty about it because who am I to judge? It is eye-opening to realize how different the eating experience can be when there is no chance in hell I'll be finishing even half of my plate. My whole approach to meals is so completely different.

I tell you, this surgery has made me realize just how HARD I had to work to gain and maintain all of that weight for all of those years.

Restaurants bother me now! I mean how can everything on the menu be like 1500 calories!? That doesn't include like chips, or bread, or appetizers, or dessert... You can't get healthy food almost anywhere, it sucks. I'm just not sure how we got like this as a country, and how not everybody is fat laugh.gif

Great subject...I was wondering if anyone was bothered by watching people eat now, I thought it was just me. It makes me disgusted and nervous. It's funny when you realize how fast and how much you used to eat and then you know for sure why you had the weight problem. I am so glad that I am not so addicted to food anymore. Sometimes I wish I could eat just a little bit more than I eat especially when it is so delicious but I wouldn't change where I am for anything!

I thought it was just me! I'm completely amazed at portion sizes and how quickly people seem to eat. I guess now that eating is more work huge portions scare me!

Even before banding I noticed that. I really liked Chinese and all chinese resturants seem to be buffet style now. I saw folks taking plates piled high over 3" deep of fried food and make more than one trip most of these folks were not thin. I rarely took more than one plate and didn't pile on enough food for a family of four and you could still see the plate even with my food selection on it. It was sad & repulsive then I can nly imagine what I would think as a new bandster (1 day post op) observing that gluttony.

At first I was jealous. Didn't matter if they were fat-I wish I didn't care like them, or they were thin-damn, why can't I eat like that?

But then it sort of turned into awe. Awe that I used to eat like that, awe that the calories didn't matter to me at one time.

I am totally unfilled now (waiting for revision surgery) and ate at Ruby Tuesday last weekend. Checked the menu on line and stuck to my choice (7oz steak and mashed potato under 700 cal). The server brought us biscuits and I had a half of one. I did eat the whole dinner and was amazed at the ferocity with which I devoured that food.

I have been going a little crazy and have gained between 4 and 5 pounds. Though I did lose 10 in a week when I could not get anything, not even a shake down, and I know that was NOT good loss. I am amazed that without the band, how easily i am falling back into old habits. Been stepping up exercise and walking in an effort to stay in some control.

It is shocking that almost all the Entrees on that Ruby Tuesday menu were 1400+ calories. Even the turkey burger....

I used to love the avocado turkey burger at Ruby Tuesday's-----then I learned it was the highest calorie item on their menu!!!

No wonder it tastes so good.....

Jackie

I am unfilled also and have also been amazed at the way (ferocity is a good word for it) I sometimes want to attack food.

but you know what? All it takes is being mindful. Knowing what I'm eating, and how I should be eating it, I can control that. I just eat nicely, with nice manners, I know portions are ridiculous and would never DREAM of eating an entire one, even though I could. I dont eat fatty, crappy, stodgy food, I choose healthy things. Like I said, I am unfilled, I must make these decisions for myself, but having been banded, that experience is its like a big slap in the face, a big "wake up to yourself" which made me realise what I was doing to myself. Therefore I am no longer a mindless, gorging pleasure seeking eater. I know I will not die if I dont have that cookie now and I know a taste of that cookie is OK, five of them isnt.

Its simply not that hard. Its a matter of not giving in to your every whim for gratification every second of the day, which is what people do because everythign we want, need or desire is right there to be bought nowadays. So people that are that self indulgent do disgust me, as a whole. However, I can feel compassion and sadness for every individual person who is obese, I do truly believe its an illness that once you've developed, you will always have. But a big component of acquiring obesity is, and i hope I dont cause a riot by saying this, a lack of self restraing, self awareness and a big case of overindulgence on the part of the sufferer and that can be quite disgusting to watch en masse.

Disgusted, no. Shocked yes, but mostly because I recognize that I used to eat that way without really thinking about it and wondered how I ever put away that much food. I mean, even with my band at the sweet spot, I could put away that much food if I wanted, but without the hunger I don't want.

I try not to watch other people eat now. If I see someone take a big bite and swallow it without chewing it almost causes me pain .... very strange. I didn't notice other people's weight much before I got the band, but now I do. It makes me feel a bit guilty. Like someone else said, who am I to judge. If someone is obese looking I think, "the band would really help them." If someone is normal weight I think, "I wonder what size they wear?" If someone is very thin/tiny I think, "there is no way I will ever wear a size that tiny." I don't like noticing how other people eat or sizing them up. I think these thoughts will pass and I will start seeing others the way I used to more.

Oh, I always looked at people that way, lol. I was always comparing. Now I dont care so much because I'm happy with myself.

Watching others eat, its not judgement, its like a kind of fascination that we used to be the same. I dont "you're a disgusting person", I think "many, eating that much is digusting", its hard to put the distinction into words but it is there.

I'm 9 days post op and have moved on to full liquids and some mushies. I'v tracked the calorie intake and bearly reach 1,000 calories a day. As yet I am not hungry and still dropping poundage. Next step real foods in about a week and finally something to chew.:)

I never looked at other heavy people judgmentally but always with sadness. No matter what they may say they don't want to be heavy, that is just a lie to themselves in self protection. But when I see the amout of food being put away....well its too painful to observe and I see my former self as being just like them. So no stones tossed no judgements made only an underlying sadness :(

I am so happy that I have taken this step and wish myself and all of you too success and happiness.

I'm sometimes a little disgusted--I do try not to judge, as I could eat with the best of them pre-band. Without the band, I'd probably still be right there with them! I actually work as a server, so I see it a lot. :rolleyes: One thing that bugs me is that everyone I wait on assumes I eat at the restaurant all the time, and know how each and every item on the menu tastes. While I guess that would be ideal for my position, it makes me want to ask "Do I look like I eat here all the time?" :rolleyes: Not only that, but with the small portions I eat, each entree would equal three or for meals for me--it would take years for me to get through the entire menu!

I agree...it sometimes disgusts me wat

ching my husband take huge mouthfuls while I push around my plate. He was eating this greasy thick burger today and it looked delicious but I would have taken a tiny nibble, chewed forever and still felt it going down. I would have worked through 2-3 bites and been done. I had a turkey wrap and a bowl of Soup. I was able to drink the broth(he ate the Beans and ham) and I had 3 slow bites of my turkey wrap (turkey, bacon, cheese, lettuce pesto mayo) Large wrap cut in 2 sandwiches; he had 3-4 bites of it(including his burger and fries) I ate 2 more bites when I got home, gave my niece the rest of that half and still have another half in the fridge. That was at lunch time, worked out during breakfast(sunday worked out and never got around to bkfst)

I have since had some sugar free icecream....

Chili for dinner.....

Portions scare me.....I am considering getting a small plate when we go out and eating 3-4 bites from my husbands plate.