Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Cheat during Preop?

Um yes please tell me if anyone has cheated?? I start my full liquids today and I already hate Protein with a passion not sure if I can go 4 days with it!!! :-(

Just curious if any of you cheated in Preop and still had the surgery? A buddy said he went out to a concert had a few drinks and a small dinner a few days before with no issues.

Just curious if any of you cheated in Preop and still had the surgery? A buddy said he went out to a concert had a few drinks and a small dinner a few days before with no issues.

I did cheat but not with drinks, but a burrito at 7pm the night before surgery. I was paranoid that it would cause a problem during surgery, but thank God it did not. Good luck!

I think people probably cheat all of the time, going by the posts on these boards :) Probably most of the time it's not a big deal in terms of the surgery itself because I haven't seen a lot of people on here afterward saying-- don't cheat or they won't operate!

With that said, I would ask myself this: If I can't make this commitment to myself pre-op so that I can ensure the safety and ease of my surgery to the best of my ability (i.e. shrinking the liver so they can get it out of the way easier), then how well am I going to commit to the post-op diet that is absolutely essential to follow while the stomach heals from being juggled, squeezed and stitched?

This surgery is as much about changing your head as it is changing your food. I think some people do just fine cheating and the surgery is the magic switch for them. You may be one of those people. Others, though, have a hard time committing to these major changes and the cheating pre-surgery is just a symptom of a larger issue that continues to plague people after surgery. Only you can honestly look at yourself and know which camp you fall in.

Best of luck to all of you!

I honestly didnt cheat once during my 2 week pre op Protein shake diet. Hence I lost 22 lbs. :) I was too scared to cheat as my Doc said if I didnt have enough of a loss he wouldnt do the surgery.

The Pre Op diet helps in many ways but to him it tells I am committed to the lifestyle change and willing to follow his orders. I started that diet the day before Thanksgiving. I am down 57 lbs!

I cheated the first time earlier in the week. I had 2 bites of my birthday cake and a cocktail..... Both were delicious and I didnt gain a thing. Had I overindulged it may have been a different story!

I agree with a previous posters this whole process is about a life style change. Many, many people think this is going to be a magical fix to their problems. The reality is this is more than 50% mental. Esp. until you start to see some restriction. Due to other health issues I had to wait 7.5 months to have surgery. This gave me time to live new food practices. I think some doctors don't stress this enough because our society likes to look for easy fixes. Just look at how prescription drug commercials are all over the TV. Why? Becuase patients/consumers go to the doctor and demand the drugs because it will be an answer to some problem. Really stressing that the band isn't going to prevent you from drinking a large McDonald's milkshake is going to translate to some people saying "Then why have this surgery". And that would cost the doctor money.

Sorry back to the original question. Do some people go off their presurgery diet, yes. If you WERE to do that would it be better to have a baked chicken breast with no skin than a Big Mac, Yes. As mentioned by a previous poster if I had to rate which is more important following the pre or post op diet I would say post. You must, let me repeat, MUST, follow your doctors post op diet. You can do SERIOUS damage to your stomach if you progress to quickly. Because doctors have different diets, many posters say "Oh it's okay you moved to solids 2-3 weeks early because my doctor allowed it". No. If you doctor says 4 weeks of liquids, mushies that's what you need to do.

I know some people will find my post mean spirited but it certainly isn't meant that way. I am just repeating what my doctor said.

can people tell me why the liquid diet is necessary for 3-4 weeks out? if I lose weight on my own 6-8 weeks prior to surgery I am shrinking my liver on my own. I understand the liquid 2-3 days prior for the stomach purposes but is there other reasons?

I had a pre-op diet that was full of regualar food. No Liquid Protein and no shakes. My NUT said that she would not deprive her patients of food prior to surgery. With that said right after I started my Liver Detoxification diet (pre-op) we had a planned Disney vacation for my childrens birthday and my anniversary. We went out to Outback Steak house and I ordered a full dinner. It was a decision I made in advance and knew what I was doing. 15 days later I had surgery and my liver was very small. So, did I cheat, I guess so, but it wasn't a sneaky I have to do this type of thing. It was a preplanned, I want to Celebrate like we had planned for the past few months type of cheat. I have no regrets.

Buggirl, are you referring to having a liquid diet 3-4 weeks prior to surgery? Each doctor is different. I would say a majority require a two week liquid diet. My doctor did not have a set plan each person get's their own orders. My doctor put me on a special liquid diet that I bought from the hospital, I tried it for 5 days and stopped bacause it was giving me weird allergy like reactions, and I was not losing weight on 500 cal a day. His office decided to let me do my own diet, my surgery was another 4 months out (My surgeon thinks this 500 cal diet is sustainable for months on end but I know it's not because other patients told me they took weekends off and ate real food!). I lost 50 pounds on my own pre surgery.

Ok so here's my *cheating*

I had a 2 grilled chicken legs last night, a small spoon of mashed potatoes with cole slaw.

Previously I had the same thing last Thursday.

When I was sick with the stomach flu, I had chicken noodle Soup with saltines since my stomach couldn't handle anything else.

There I admitted :) I dropped 12 lbs thus far and surgery is on V-Day.

I will be on the 2 weeks pre-op diet to minimize fat infiltration of the liver (shrink the liver).

Unfortunately I had an MRI few weeks ago. I say unfortunately because my MRI showed "normal size liver with minimal fatty infiltration".

HERE GOES FAT PERSON REASONING - Now I have a reasonable excuse to cheat on my pre-op diet.

I can not believe I am admitting to this.

Wow, I guess I am pretty lucky. I started my pre-op diet a few days ago but it is just low carb. When I met with the surgeion yesterday he also said that we could go out and enjoy a normal meal the night before surgery but just not to over do it. He did warn us that we could not have anything to eat or drink from midnight on, because it would cause him problems trying to perform the surgery with anything in the stomach. He said one guy showed up with a starbucks in his hand and was denied that day.

I just got my surgery date yesterday...March 15. biggrin.gif I am going in for all of my pre-op test on Feb. 28. Is this when the Dr. will tell me what he wants me to do for a pre-diet? The nurse didn't tell me anything about a pre-diet, but a friend who already has the lapband said I need to start it 3 weeks out. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing!!