Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2011 Bandsters

Every thing went well for me too! I had surgery Tuesday morning, but my dr required an overnite stay. Got home about noon today, and so far so good. Drinking Isopure for protien and doing as much walking as possible. Will hold off on pain meds till closer to bed time!!! Heading to the kitchen to make some sugar free jello!!! I am not going to worry about my scales for a few days,,,

Every one having surgery tomorrow,,, good luck,,, and I will check back tomorrow,,,

Rosie

Everything went well today! I checke din at 6am, surgery began at 7:15 and I was out the door to head home at 9:30. I'm a litle sore on both of my sides, and the left feels like trapped air. My port is not hurting at all. I was able to drink about 1/2 cup of Tomato Soup and so far half a sugar free Jello cup...but feel pretty full. Am about to take some more Vicodin Syrup and lounge on the couch a bit, then get up and walk again.

The anesthesiologist said he had to suction my lungs a lot and that I still have bronchitis...he's hoping the antibiotics they gave ins urgery will knock it out. The surgeon said my stomach and bowels looke dinflammed and he aske dmy mom if i ate a spicy dinner (I didn't last night but did the night before). He said not to worry though.

According to the scale there I was down 12 1/2 pounds over the past week.

To those being banded TOMORROW best of luck...it's really not bad...;)

One more thing.. I lost 17 pounds in this first week alone… sooo tongue.gif to the those negative posts!!!

God luck every one!!!

MarciLoo, Your posts are so inspiring! Congratulations, sounds like you are having a great experience so far. I am getting my band Friday morning and have not been required to do the pre-op diet, just Clear liquids for tomorrow and nothing after midnight. I hope my operation goes as well as yours! Looking forward to hearing more on your progress!

Had surgery at about 11 am today. I am sore. Had a really tough time coming out of anesthesia but just hope to be feeing better soon.

I feel like the worst patient in the world. I ate somehting last night not on the liquid diet and it sat ok, but this morning I feel really belchy, my tummy is swollen even more, and I felt my first nausea. I took a half a nausea pill, some pain meds, and am going to just sip on fluids today. I'm actually not hungry at all (which is great). Bad me. :(

However, I ams till overall feeling really well. Moving around almost like nothing happened. That has me really suprised. I tend to do well after surgery in general (this is my 10th or 11th) so maybe that's why. But I know now I need to stick with the liquid diet.

Oh and I pulled up a drawing of the digestive tract with a band on BING to show my 3 little boys this morning...what a cool little lesson for them (ages 7, 6, and 3).

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been able to get on and get my story on here but I've been sleeping a WHOLE lot. First off congrats to my fellow March 15th Bandsters WE DID IT!! And to everyone who was banded today or yesterday congrats. Also Happy St. Patrick’s Day to everyone.

Tuesday morning...I slept about 3 hours lol (From Monday into Tuesday) I had to be at the hospital at 7:30 surgery was at 9:30. Waiting was not fun but finally after they got my IV in and shot me up with my blood thinner I took my walk to the operating room and I'm not going to lie I almost ran the other way. I laid up on the operating table put the oxygen on my mask and before I knew it they shot me in my IV and I was passed out. I woke up in th operating room afterwards but fell asleep again because I don't remember how I got to recovery lol. From there once I woke up a bit more I was feeling ok. I had a morphine drip that I was able to control but really didn't need it that much. I had to stay over night because my surgeon requires it but she also requires most her patients to stay in ICU, especially if they have sleep apnea (which I do). There were no rooms open in ICU so I ended up staying right in recovery all night. I was able to get up and walk around quite a few times which felt good. I also spent a lot of time sitting in a chair. Bad part was I didn't get much sleep. Starting at 2PM I had to drink an ounce of Water once an hour for 4 hours then after that I moved up to 2 ounces and so on until I hit 4 ounces. That went fine no throwing up, no getting stuck. I was discharged around noon yesterday and since I've been home I've been really sore through out my whole body. I feel like my surgeon ran me over a few times with a mack truck lol. I haven't had much gas pain but have been letting out some nice sized burps and I've passed gas a few times (sorry TMI I know lol). Since I didn't get much sleep the night before surgery or the night of surgery I went to bed @ 8PM last night and slept till 8 AM this morning woke up took a pain pill and went back to sleep till 11AMish. If I feel a little better later I'm going to try and take a walk outside since it's so nice out.

Sorry if I rambled a little I was just trying to get it all in. I am still in disbelief that I have a band in me and it's actually done! I'm trying to get my Protein shake down but I get full quick so I'm doing it little by little.

Thank you all so much for your support, if you haven't been banded yet a big GOOD LUCK to you!!! It's not as bad as I thought (pain wise) and it's totally worth it. <3

I am having my surgery March 29!!!!!!!!! I am going to start the liquid diet tomorrow. i wish is wasnt necessary but i will have to suck it up. I just hope this works for me. I am so excited and ready for a new life with less fat.

Donna, you excited? The 29th will be here soon ;)

Elizabeth...spounds like all went well. sorry you're so sore. I also feel like it's not quite real, that the band is IN now. I keep feeling my port :lol: I can't stop belching today. I also had my first luck in the bathroom this morning (sorry for tmi). My belly is getting itchy, a sure sign of healing.

I'm feeling better since I backed off to just liquids this morning and took the nausea medication. am still going to just lay low today and keep it to thin fluids. My mom is picking me and the 3 kids up later to go to my folks house (40 min drive) for St Patricks dinner, wher emy husband will meet us and drive us all back home. He works up the street from them. I may take some Tomato Soup with and yogurt. I'll see how I feel. I may just stick to chicken broth and tea.

Is anyone else's belly swollen around the incisions? i look pregnant :blink:

My belly is pretty swollen. I keep looking down at it and laughing! So far all I've had is a Protein shake (not even a whole one) some Water (to get my regular medicine and pain pills down) and some sugar free kool aid. I might try some sugar free Jello in a little bit (I had some in the hospitial and it was fine).

Congrats again to everyone!!! And welcome to the March Bandsters Donna!!!

Yes I am so excited....I just pray that I am one of the lucky ones that this really works for. I hate being fat. I am not comfortable. I just wish I didnt have to do this preop liquid diet. :( I hope I will loose my food cravings.

I am exactly a week away from being banded! :D I couldnt be more excited about it! But today I feel a little on the bumed side of things.:( I have been on my preop diet for a week now and I lost 5lbs in the first five days! but then I gained a lb and then another the next day and then stayed the same the next! I dont know why! I know I shouldnt worry about it but it just makes me feel bad! But I guess on an upper note my pants feel better! I think I have lost a few more than 5 lbs in the last month so that where that comes from. I guess its just the fact that I feel like Im starving myself and gaining even though it was only 2lbs, it still is frustrating! Any ways I just needed to vent and express my feelings! Thank you all for reading and listening!! Good luck to all that have been banded so far and those that are being banded today!

The secret is not weighing yourself too much. I'm only weighing in when I go see my doctor (once a month). Water weight and swelling (especially right after surgery) can really effect your moods and motivations to keep after it! Good luck with your surgery!

my surgery date is March 1, which means my pre-op diet starts on valentines day :unsure: ironically, I have been reading some of the other peoples' posts on here and my doctor is requiring my pre-op diet to be slimfast. Anyone else out there required to do the same?

Slimfast is not that good for you. The Atkins drinks are a little better and you can find them cheap at Walmart. If you have a cosco membership there is a Protein Drink there that has 30grams of Protein and only 170 calories! It will help you beat the hunger pains.

Well I had my pre-op appointment yesterday... and I am super excited... My husband and I met with the surgeon again we went over all the things I have to do the day before, what time I have to be there and what i need to bring. I then did all the fun paper work and blood work and urine analysis and talked to the nurse at out patient. So I know where I need to go and what to expect when I get there... After all that I am more excited than ever! Only 4 more days!!! I am actually really excited about the day before because Im going to be on a liquid diet but they told me I can have a snow cone!!! that sounds really silly but this time of year is so great for a snow cone and I have been wanting one for a while now!! haha!

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for posting their experiences as they move along! I look forward to reading everyones post so I have an idea of what I can expect!

Good luck to everyone!!

We can and will do it!:D

So I was banded Tuesday March 16th. Coming out of surgery I was having a hard time breathing and dealing with the nausea. They gave me three different injections of anti nausea medication and then I felt agitated and clenched my teeth all the way home. It was a 3 1/2 hr drive and it sucked. Just wished I could have fallen asleep. At home I was up all night and to be honest started having anxiety asking myself why I did this to myself?! Yesterday was rough too. Today I had my post op. Teeth still clenching feeling. Maybe it's from the Vicodin because I haven't taken anymore anti nausea medication. Slept a little better last night. Have only had Water for three days and all my crushed medications....yuck. Makes me nauseous. The post of doc told me today that this is the way I would be taking medication for the rest of my life. I had no idea. Wow. My doc says on days 5, 6 and 7 I can have sugar free popsicles, sugar free non-carbonated drinks. Really, no pudding or anything until the 8th day? I don't know how I am not going to be weak on just water and Clear Liquids for 7 days! Oh and i can have Soup but it has to be low sodium which tastes awful. Does anyone know why the popsicles have to be sugar free? I found some with 5 g of sugar. May test one tomorrow. And why low sodium? Jeez.