Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hair loss ???

Hey All,

I was wondering how many of you have dealt with Hair loss? ?? I have lost about 40 lbs and much of that came off during the first 2 months of being banded. For the first few weeks I was ok but then started to notice that I was losing hair :unsure:. I knew i wasnt getting enough Water and struggled to get the Protein in as well. I have since started taking ALL my Vitamins, getting in the recommended protein and have been gettin in almost all my water.Oh, I also started taking Biotin and I AM STILL LOSING HAIR!!!! :cry_smile: Like a great big bunch at every hair wash.

If you've had this happen to you please do tell me what you did to recover from the "vanishing hair trick".

More Protein? Nioxin hair products.

before i was banded i knew that hair loss was a possibility but i expected it to happen right after my surgery. i didn't start losing my hair until about 4 months post-op... which it looks like that's when yours started?

luckily, i have super thick hair so it was only noticable to me and my hair stylist (who freaked out while washing my hair)! the Hair loss DOES stop, i promise!

just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. keep up with the Protein and vitamins!

I read mixed reviews about that and I know Its pricey. I didnt want to buy it and still be bald. :blink:

More Protein? Nioxin hair products.

Thanks for the reassuring words. I was hoping I would hear that!!

I had lots and lots of thick hair too... When putting it in a pony tail it was a huge handful of hair and now I can get my pointer funger and thumb around it :unsure: How long was it before yours stopped falling out?

before i was banded i knew that Hair loss was a possibility but i expected it to happen right after my surgery. i didn't start losing my hair until about 4 months post-op... which it looks like that's when yours started?

luckily, i have super thick hair so it was only noticable to me and my hair stylist (who freaked out while washing my hair)! the hair loss DOES stop, i promise!

just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. keep up with the Protein and vitamins!

I also had a lot of Hair loss that really scared me. It started at about 3 months post op and ended around 6 months. I also started off with really thick hair and I lost about half. Its just starting to thicken up again now and I'm missing my more manageable thinner hair. :) I actually went to see my family doctor because I was really scared I would go bald. LOL I took my Vitamins and ate all the required Protein. The physician explained to me that all the hairs in the dormant phase will fall out because of the stress from the surgery and the extreme diet change. He said it would peak at 4 months post op, end around 6 months post op, and that I'd be back to my full thickness 6 months after that. He was right on! He laughed that I didn't time things well, my hair will be nice and thick again by summer - LOL!!!!

My motivation to continue this weight loss journey has been imagining myself at summertime in cute little summer clothes :rolleyes:, and then the FLAPPY ARMS came into view!!!:( Then I was thinking "ok, I'll just not wave at too many people and stay out of the wind :smilewinkgrin:". Then the alarming amounts of hair started falling out and my cute little summertime daydream was turning into a nitemare!!! :blink: I just couldnt work the BALD ME into the picture. Now i'm thinking i might just be ok after all. :thumbsup: Thanks

I also had a lot of Hair loss that really scared me. It started at about 3 months post op and ended around 6 months. I also started off with really thick hair and I lost about half. Its just starting to thicken up again now and I'm missing my more manageable thinner hair. :) I actually went to see my family doctor because I was really scared I would go bald. LOL I took my Vitamins and ate all the required Protein. The physician explained to me that all the hairs in the dormant phase will fall out because of the stress from the surgery and the extreme diet change. He said it would peak at 4 months post op, end around 6 months post op, and that I'd be back to my full thickness 6 months after that. He was right on! He laughed that I didn't time things well, my hair will be nice and thick again by summer - LOL!!!!

I also noticed Hair loss at about 5 months. My sugeons' office does'nt think it's due to weight loss since I'm a slow looser. In my last blood panel done by my GP they said my thyroid was low and to recheck in a month. The surgeons office said low thyroid could cause hair loss and perhaps explain why I am a slow looser. I need to go back for the thyroid blood test soon. I've been taking Bioten for about 3 weeks can't say I've seen a reduction in hair loss.

I also knew I might experience Hair loss but wasn't too worried since I have LOTS OF IT ANYWAY!! LOL! But I have to admit that when I rinsed out the conditioner in my hair during my shower...and handfuls came out...I was freaked! Almost reminded me of my mom during her chemo days! Thank god I read this thread and all the posts were reassuring that this too will stop in a few months!

I still have some Hair loss. A little every day. It's like when I wash my hair, it's a little more comes out than before my surgery. Can you buy Biotin pills?

Yes you can buy Biotin pills.

I still have some hair loss. A little every day. It's like when I wash my hair, it's a little more comes out than before my surgery. Can you buy Biotin pills?

THANK GOD I'M NOT ALONE! The crappy part is that I don't have thick hair to begin!! :( I'm starting to get a little panicky at the amount of hair that I'm losing. It's so bad that my husband is complaining that he's finding hair EVERYWHERE and can't escape it. I hope it will stop soon, because I don't think I'm the type that can rock the bald look, lol.