Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting over with lapband

Wow, I am so glad I found this thread. It will be 4 years in July since I received my band, and I too have had many struggles. Tomorrow I will finally receive another fill, and hoping to finally get back on track to my goal.

I have no one else but myselft to blame for the slow loss that I've had. I've not had any problems with the band, except last October, when I had to have my fill totally removed for 2 months, and had only 1cc put back in around mid December. The first 3 years I did not start an excercise routine, I did not quit smoking, and I really just think I didn't take it seriously like I should have.

This past January, I joined a gym, and I have been there religiously 3 to 5 times a week (except for 1 of the weeks) and I quit smoking. I did gain back abut 10 pounds, but I believe what I gained the most was more respect for myself. I am trying finally, and I really do want this to work for me. I still have the stresses of a job, and a family, but I finally have decided not to put myself on the back burner....there's time for stress, and theres time for family, and now there's time for me.

That's all I have time to type right now, I have a long drive in the morning to get my fill, but I will definitely check back in to see how well others are doing. We are all in the same boat, trying to make changes in our lives, and even though we struggle, we will all get there eventually.

Thanks for listening,

Lynette

I think you're all very smart for realizing the band isn't working for you because *you* aren't doing your part and while some might think another type of WLS might better serve you, the reality is that they won't help either unless you get a handle on your eating. Good luck to you all! :)

I also have the band in January 2008 and have re-gained 40 of the 90 I had originally lost. I "started over" last week. I went back to the basics of the lapband and am taking it one day at a time. I also joined WW with my husband which encourages us to track every single bite.

We can do this!

Take a deep breath and start fresh with positive thinking!

Hi Lynette: I am so happy to have found this posting too! I am grateful to know I am not alone. I was banded 5/22/08 and lost 60 lbs quickly. Then I started trying sweets and have gained back 20 lbs. and am very sad and sorry about it. Now I need to lose that 20 plus 20 more to reach goal. After reading the threads here, I have given myself permission to have a fresh start....and yes we certainly can start over. Let's just do it together.:)

Wow, I am so glad I found this thread. It will be 4 years in July since I received my band, and I too have had many struggles. Tomorrow I will finally receive another fill, and hoping to finally get back on track to my goal.

I have no one else but myselft to blame for the slow loss that I've had. I've not had any problems with the band, except last October, when I had to have my fill totally removed for 2 months, and had only 1cc put back in around mid December. The first 3 years I did not start an excercise routine, I did not quit smoking, and I really just think I didn't take it seriously like I should have.

This past January, I joined a gym, and I have been there religiously 3 to 5 times a week (except for 1 of the weeks) and I quit smoking. I did gain back abut 10 pounds, but I believe what I gained the most was more respect for myself. I am trying finally, and I really do want this to work for me. I still have the stresses of a job, and a family, but I finally have decided not to put myself on the back burner....there's time for stress, and theres time for family, and now there's time for me.

That's all I have time to type right now, I have a long drive in the morning to get my fill, but I will definitely check back in to see how well others are doing. We are all in the same boat, trying to make changes in our lives, and even though we struggle, we will all get there eventually.

Thanks for listening,

Lynette

I am so happy that you are defending yourself against hurtful remarks from Formerly Fluffy. Please disregard her unkind remarks and continue being honest....I need people like you in my life. I, too, have just picked up and started over with hope in my heart. I will look for your progress reports in the future. Sending you a big hug!

Formerly Fluffy,

I did lose weight with the lap band, I lost over 100 lbs. The reason that I stopped losing weight and gained it back was because I had to get all of the Fluid removed from my band and leave it out for 6 months before a Doctor in my home town would do my fills. I am not saying that I have been following the rules, because I didn't.

You are a very judgmental person and I hope that you never have to reap the seeds that you have sown. It is because of people like you and your negative attitude that people are not honest when they fall of the band wagon and why they do not turn to the lap band talk support system to get back on track.

Best of luck to you on your journey, I do not want people like you in my life!!

Yay for all of us getting back on the bandwagon!

I was banded in Dec 08 and lost my insurance along with my job shortly after. I'd only had 2 small fills at the time. No $$$ for Dr visits or fills, so I have been trying to remember my band, but it really is useless without follow-ups with a Doctor. The only time I know it is there is when I wait too long to eat and get so hungry, I gobble down my food too fast and it pops right back out! Not very charming when out to eat, let me tell you.

I now have insurance again and am going in on Monday for my 3rd fill, 2+ years after having my band installed. I am going to beg for a big fill, I would love to go back to liquid then mush like right after surgery, for a few weeks.

Good luck and use the message boards for support! :)

~Steph

Lynette your post just says how you have failed. I never once heard anything about restriction. Have you ever had restriction with your band???

Thanks for listening,

Lynette

This is so me too!! Except I only lost 30 the first time around - I haven't thought much about my lap band in the last 16 months or so, looking forward to getting back on track :)

This whole thread is very much a downer for this guy who doesn't have a band yet. Very discouraging to hear of others problems. But I wish each of you the best.

I have to quit coming to this forum! (just joking)

Unfortunately the band is very discouraging for a LOT of ppl. When it is advertised to work a certain way...........but does NOT work as advertised for so many of us, we get discouraged and mad!

Those of you that have bands that work don't realize how LUCKY you are!!!

This whole thread is very much a downer for this guy who doesn't have a band yet. Very discouraging to hear of others problems. But I wish each of you the best.

I have to quit coming to this forum! (just joking)

Hi I was banded September 2008, while I lost 50 pounds, I have been stuck there Arthritis makes it difficult to work out and I have a sedentary job

My obesity is a mental and emotional problem as well

I count my blessings as I am rid of my diabetes now

Post Preview

Absolutely: don't despair or give up! This has been an amazing and very interesting journey....I may have 15-20 lbs to "re-lose" [and still 25 or so more to get to goal] but I still consider my weight loss a huge success overall.

For me, the first year was the quickest and most weight loss, then more gradual after that. Before the surgery, I read and researched a LOT, and so I felt pretty prepared. One of the "downers" [at least I thought so at the time, but it so was not a downer, in the long run] of what I read was that one book talked about "success" with a lap band being a loss of 50% of the excess weight. Well, phooey, I thought, when I figured that out, being then at 280 lbs with a goal of 150, or a hopeful loss of 130 lbs. [which seemed insurmountable at the time....I was convinced that I would be the one person in the world for whom this surgery wouldn't work].

So, 50% of 130 would be a loss of 65 lbs, and this particular bariatric center writing the book would think I was a success, and anything else would be gravy [always with the food images, of course.] Big Whoop.

But when I actually HAD lost that 65 lbs I was amazed that it was such a huge difference, physically, mentally, in all ways. While I certainly wanted to lose more, some part of me also knew that yes, this WAS a success, and that if for some reason that was it for the weight loss, I could live with it, and feel good about it. [And then I gradually just kept losing weight, which was of course very satisfying, regardless of what I just said!]

Sometimes, especially in that first year, I felt as though learning to live with my LapBand was like learning to live with an infant, who quickly became a cranky toddler, who could be sweet as could be at times and an unpredictable demon at other times. I had to learn to figure out the subtle signals [to avoid the temper tantrums], couldn't imagine how this could POSSIBLY make me throw up, when yesterday I ate that just fine, and so on. And just like with a child, might love him/her dearly, but some days leaving that wee beastie on someone else's doorstep seemed like a good idea. :wub:

Portions: ha! It took forever to figure out, and BELIEVE, that that itty bitty thing on my plate would be ENOUGH, certainly I needed to fix TWO hamburgers, plus fries, that's what my mind told me, even if yesterday I could only eat less than a half of one, and had felt full and satisfied. Talk about a learning curve: sometimes it was a steep one, and sometimes it was flat, and sometimes I didn't seem to be learning a darned thing. :mad3:

It took a while to realize that this wasn't going to be a finite project, with surgery done, lose weight, then forget about it and on with life. It continues to be a day to day process, just like living with a child. A pain at times, but so worth it in the long run. [And it is soooooo nice to be able to buy clothes without any X's in the size!].......Diane

Wow, Diane! You wrote my story here! So glad to hear I am not alone! I have been at a standstill due to some physical probs for nearly a year now and only recently started getting fills again. I am now back on track (nearly 3 years after surgery.. so the answer to the thread question.. YES YOU CAN START OVER!).. So glad I found this thread! Keep posting! I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel again!

I had my lapband surgery in January 2008, lost about 70 pounds, but have since gained it all back. I'd like to start over with it ... definitely still have restriction ... is it realistic to think I could do just the Protein Shakes for awhile (a few weeks) to get back on track?

i am sorry to hear that

banded 2/23/11

can i ask how/why you gained it all back?

i went through this over the Christmas holidays. I can tell you how I gained (have gotten it back off now, but I STILL was able to gain even with restriction)............ Egg Nog!... In other words, eatting/drinking the wrong things (sliders they are called)... As so often we have heard/said on here, the band is a TOOL - not a quick fix! Still have to work with it, and I have been as guilty as anyone else in working my way around it at times.. Just have to get back in the saddle and start over when that happens! Good luck and congrats on your new journey!