Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can eat EVRYTHING

So... I got banded last year and have lost 59 pounds. But after no loss and being at a standstill a while I decided to get a fill. Last Wednesday I got a fill for a total of 6.75 in my 10 cc band. My problem is that now I can eat everything in sight. I have LESS restriction now than I did before my fill. I have been eating like my old regular fat self for days now. I swear I feel like I have no band at all. Has anyone ever hadthis? I left a message for my Doc today after a big il Breakfast. I was not hungry today while I ate but I tested the band all day and the food won every time. What gives? I hope my doc calls me back Monday morning.

Get back to your doctor and have them check your Fluid level you could have a leak. I thought I was just disfunctional, but come to find out I have had a leak in m port for the last 2 fills but no one told me about it last time.

I will be having it replaced and be back on track soon.

When you bring yourself into an open forum and post YOU INVITE ALL RESPONSES. maybe you should have asked if anyone ever felt LESS restriction after a fill, instead of how much you have gone off the wagon!! The band is a TOOL, not a fix all!!

I have to agree with PhilC. I am so fortunate I went to a Center of Excellence for my band. We do have a restricted program for the first 4-5 weeks.e After that, I can start making decisions... However, my Doc said the same, "It is only a tool." He likened it to automatic steering. It will keep you moving down the weight loss road, but if you let go of the wheel, you'll find yourself in a ditch. Stalling or stretching my stomach is a concern to me as well... But I have read everything I could get my hands on and can say with confidence, the learning has been the biggest benefit prior to surgery. So far I have only been blindsided by the after surgery pressure and gas. GOOD LUCK!

I was banded in September 2007 and have since gained back all but 20 lbs. Why? Not because the band wasn't doing its job. But because of me. I made poor choices. I let it happen. I put on my big girl panties and made an appointment for a fill. My nurse practitioner was very forgiving, and we decided on a fresh start. She gave me a good fill, reinterated the rules, and I left with a renewed sense of purpose and inner peace knowing that I am going to do this. My band is just fine, and has treated me well. I just didn't reciprocate. Now, I appreciate it again and am doing everything in my power to treat it right. I would recommend an appointment and possibly taking part in a support group to get back on track. Good luck!

I had my surgery on Jan 6.. I I had my first fill on Feb 19. I still have no restriction to this day.. I only lost 10 pds to begin with between the liquid diet and my first fill now I have gained that back. I was so excited for this Lapband and now I am REALLY discouraged.. I have another fill set up for March 15 I hope after that one that I feel a little restriction.. I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you!! :)

I know I have none either, I know we are suppose to have some restriction tht is what the surgery is all about! I'm sure it'll come from all that I've been reading, some say it can take up to 6 months to find tht sweet spot, i'm just to anxious to get there sooner, i'll get my second fill fri just hope it's more noticable then! when did u have your surgery?

I had my surgery on Jan 6.. I I had my first fill on Feb 19. I still have no restriction to this day.. I only lost 10 pds to begin with between the liquid diet and my first fill now I have gained that back. I was so excited for this Lapband and now I am REALLY discouraged.. I have another fill set up for March 15 I hope after that one that I feel a little restriction.. I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you!! :)

Hey, Nellie and Patiently!!!!!

Please don't get discouraged!!! You guys just need more restriction than most! I have a 10cc band and to feel ANY restriction I have to have mine filled to 9cc's. One of my friends has 6cc's in hers and she's lost like crazy. Everyone responds differently to this thing- that is why it's so great: because it can be tailored to each person.

As for your Doctor removing anything because she hears gurgling. . . .that's just doesn't make sense to me. After a year, they have finally figured out I have to drink from a straw- drinking from the cup traps too much air and causes gurgling and I have to wait FOREVER for the air bubbles to come up before the Water goes down! When I drink from a straw- I have no problem at all. Maybe you could try this next time?

Either way, ask for a cc at a time. That's what I did and they accomodated me and that's when my restriction began to show up- but realize this wasn't until like my 6th fill!

Honestly, you guys sound like you're more like me: you need lots of restriction and while they're slowly trying to fill you so as not to overdue it too quickly, you guys are ready to eat a house (I was there too).

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be sure that you're getting the amount of Protein in yourselves that you need- it makes a HUGE difference in your hunger intensity.

Please keep your chins up- you WILL get there! Promise!!!!!! :)

When you breath in for your fill your diaphragm puts more pressure on your stomach and you can get more out of your fill, even if the put the same amount of cc's in! One of my friends has met her goal wgt. The other had more to lose, but continues to do well. Just be aware of your diaphragm when getting a fill!

I don't understand how the position of your diaphragm during a fill can affect how the fill feels after you let your breath out. Can you please expound on this? It's the same amount of Fluid, so why would it matter after you start breathing again?

This is what my friends have told me what works for them. I am meeting with one of them tomorrow to try different foods. I will get her to explain it again. :)

re: the challenge of Bandster life style There's a lot of comments about 'restriction' that seems to me to miss an essential point. The entire notion of 'feeling full' is in error in my formative years, as that is what led me to think 'eat till full' and 'being full' were the defining reasons of 'why' we eat.

I have become enthralled with the notion that 'satiety' and 'hunger' and 'appetite' and 'restriction' must be revised in how we relate to 'eating' and 'OVER eating'.

Normos eat when hungry and stop when they are (key point) NOT hungry. I always ate whether hungry or not, and ate till it was all gone then went looking for more. Hunger had nothing to do with eating.

I've had more success with eating to become satiated, then stopping. Restriction was a tool along the way to help me recognize the difference. Necessary phase for sure.

Hunger isn't what motivated my own over eating....it was more the FEAR of being hungry. Does this make any sense to the 'restriction'~'non restriction' issue?

re: the challenge of Bandster life style There's a lot of comments about 'restriction' that seems to me to miss an essential point. The entire notion of 'feeling full' is in error in my formative years, as that is what led me to think 'eat till full' and 'being full' were the defining reasons of 'why' we eat.

I have become enthralled with the notion that 'satiety' and 'hunger' and 'appetite' and 'restriction' must be revised in how we relate to 'eating' and 'OVER eating'.

Normos eat when hungry and stop when they are (key point) NOT hungry. I always ate whether hungry or not, and ate till it was all gone then went looking for more. Hunger had nothing to do with eating.

I've had more success with eating to become satiated, then stopping. Restriction was a tool along the way to help me recognize the difference. Necessary phase for sure.

Hunger isn't what motivated my own over eating....it was more the FEAR of being hungry. Does this make any sense to the 'restriction'~'non restriction' issue?

Jack...I think it is the FEAR of being hungry when being hungry was not PLANNED. Most of us are OCD and when that damned hunger shows up unplanned, we think we are screwed cuz we don't know the skills to beat it back down.

So...your band has become non-functional, and you're doing WHAT? Eating whatever you want?

Ummm. I'm thinking that the Lap band is probably not gonna jump out of your stomach and snatch that burger out of your hand before you shove it into your mouth.

It doesn't usually work that way.

Yes, you DO need to see your Doctor and find out what the problem is. Perhaps it was someone new that gave you a fill, and accidentally removed some Fluid. It could be one of several things.

But the more important issue here is..... What are YOU going to do until this is sorted out? You need to eat as though the Band is working at full capacity. The rules do NOT change just because your band is not functioning as it should. If you have had your band for around a year, then you should know how to eat by now, and you shouldn't have to "test" the band in any way.

"I swear I feel like I have no band at all. Has anyone ever had this? I left a message for my Doc today after a big il breakfast."

You really didn't HAVE to have that "Big il breakfast". You could have had a small, band-sized Breakfast, the kind you SHOULD be having every day.

"I was not hungry today while I ate but I tested the band all day and the food won every time."

I wouldn't see it so much as the food winning, but as YOU LOSING. And why did you feel the need to "test" the band?

You know, you really need to learn how to live WITHOUT the Lap Band. There is a very good possibility that your Lap band might be removed from you at some point. SOME surgeons are beginning to see the Lap Band as a temporary set of "training" wheels over a period of 3-5 years, during which the Patient should do everything they can to develop new eating habits, and a new relationship with food. This is because of increasing incidence of erosion, slippage, and other problems associated with the Band. And if it happens to you, you need to be ready.

SEE your Doctor, and find out what the problem is, and get it fixed. But in the meantime, STICK TO THE RULES.

S.

So...your band has become non-functional, and you're doing WHAT? Eating whatever you want?

Ummm. I'm thinking that the Lap band is probably not gonna jump out of your stomach and snatch that burger out of your hand before you shove it into your mouth.

It doesn't usually work that way.

Yes, you DO need to see your Doctor and find out what the problem is. Perhaps it was someone new that gave you a fill, and accidentally removed some Fluid. It could be one of several things.

But the more important issue here is..... What are YOU going to do until this is sorted out? You need to eat as though the Band is working at full capacity. The rules do NOT change just because your band is not functioning as it should. If you have had your band for around a year, then you should know how to eat by now, and you shouldn't have to "test" the band in any way.

"I swear I feel like I have no band at all. Has anyone ever had this? I left a message for my Doc today after a big il Breakfast."

You really didn't HAVE to have that "Big il breakfast". You could have had a small, band-sized breakfast, the kind you SHOULD be having every day.

"I was not hungry today while I ate but I tested the band all day and the food won every time."

I wouldn't see it so much as the food winning, but as YOU LOSING. And why did you feel the need to "test" the band?

You know, you really need to learn how to live WITHOUT the Lap Band. There is a very good possibility that your Lap band might be removed from you at some point. SOME surgeons are beginning to see the Lap Band as a temporary set of "training" wheels over a period of 3-5 years, during which the Patient should do everything they can to develop new eating habits, and a new relationship with food. This is because of increasing incidence of erosion, slippage, and other problems associated with the Band. And if it happens to you, you need to be ready.

SEE your Doctor, and find out what the problem is, and get it fixed. But in the meantime, STICK TO THE RULES.

S.

Wow, doesn't get much ruder than this, who are you to judge anyone, she simply ask if anyone else had this problem, she didn't asked for some analytical BS, I was always taught if you can't say something nice then keep it to yourself!!

re: the point of fills?

We have to wonder what the goal is, of what we are doing...both by eating and by getting fills. And finally, recognize what constitutes overeating regardless of our fill level.

First, if we are aware of eating when NOT hungry, there's a sign.

Second, sometimes it is easier than other times to eat certain items. That doesn't mean we have a hall pass to over eat.

Third, IMO the perfect amount of fill, is where I can eat a Normo amount, not be hungry, and bring myself to stop eating. That takes some practice to develop a New Healthy habit replacing the old overeating habit.

Yes, a few times I have felt for a few days, able to eat a bit more than I was. Usually by about day 3 I'd be suddenly surprised that now I wasn't hungry and confronted with the question of 'why am I eating'. We have to learn new eating behavior along with the Band.