Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can eat EVRYTHING

So... I got banded last year and have lost 59 pounds. But after no loss and being at a standstill a while I decided to get a fill. Last Wednesday I got a fill for a total of 6.75 in my 10 cc band. My problem is that now I can eat everything in sight. I have LESS restriction now than I did before my fill. I have been eating like my old regular fat self for days now. I swear I feel like I have no band at all. Has anyone ever hadthis? I left a message for my Doc today after a big il Breakfast. I was not hungry today while I ate but I tested the band all day and the food won every time. What gives? I hope my doc calls me back Monday morning.

I had the same problem with my weight loss. I was banded in 2008 and stop losing and started eating like before the band. I went in for a fill and it was to tight and could not eat anything. So I went in and had some taken out. I went back in about 6 months later (both of these were last year) for a fill but my doctor said no, so now i can't feel the bad and can eat almost anything (except meat) and as much as i want. I plan on calling my docotor in the morning and see if i can get in for a fill. Hopefully this will help. Good luck and keep us informed

jone

Still gotta follow the rules...obviously if you are eating what you want you won't lose weight.

So... I got banded last year and have lost 59 pounds. But after no loss and being at a standstill a while I decided to get a fill. Last Wednesday I got a fill for a total of 6.75 in my 10 cc band. My problem is that now I can eat everything in sight. I have LESS restriction now than I did before my fill. I have been eating like my old regular fat self for days now. I swear I feel like I have no band at all. Has anyone ever hadthis? I left a message for my Doc today after a big il Breakfast. I was not hungry today while I ate but I tested the band all day and the food won every time. What gives? I hope my doc calls me back Monday morning.

So...your band has become non-functional, and you're doing WHAT? Eating whatever you want?

Ummm. I'm thinking that the Lap band is probably not gonna jump out of your stomach and snatch that burger out of your hand before you shove it into your mouth.

It doesn't usually work that way.

Yes, you DO need to see your Doctor and find out what the problem is. Perhaps it was someone new that gave you a fill, and accidentally removed some Fluid. It could be one of several things.

But the more important issue here is..... What are YOU going to do until this is sorted out? You need to eat as though the Band is working at full capacity. The rules do NOT change just because your band is not functioning as it should. If you have had your band for around a year, then you should know how to eat by now, and you shouldn't have to "test" the band in any way.

"I swear I feel like I have no band at all. Has anyone ever had this? I left a message for my Doc today after a big il breakfast."

You really didn't HAVE to have that "Big il breakfast". You could have had a small, band-sized breakfast, the kind you SHOULD be having every day.

"I was not hungry today while I ate but I tested the band all day and the food won every time."

I wouldn't see it so much as the food winning, but as YOU LOSING. And why did you feel the need to "test" the band?

You know, you really need to learn how to live WITHOUT the Lap Band. There is a very good possibility that your Lap band might be removed from you at some point. SOME surgeons are beginning to see the Lap Band as a temporary set of "training" wheels over a period of 3-5 years, during which the Patient should do everything they can to develop new eating habits, and a new relationship with food. This is because of increasing incidence of erosion, slippage, and other problems associated with the Band. And if it happens to you, you need to be ready.

SEE your Doctor, and find out what the problem is, and get it fixed. But in the meantime, STICK TO THE RULES.

S.

soexcited... I have had a similar experience. I have worked hard not to turn to the foods I used before the band, and have been successful. The problem is that I can eat large volumes of "approved" foods now. I can eat a large salad and a whole chicken breast. My doctor never gave me a diet to follow, and has said he doesn't believe in that, instead we are told that we can eat what we want, just not much of it. Still I have given up the trigger foods for me, no doughnuts, no Cheetos, no chips, etc. But without any restriction I have to rely on will power to stop eating, and if I had the will power that some people here claim to have, then I would not have been fat to start with. Sorry but the band is a tool and if we didn't need that tool then we wouldn't have qualified to recieve it. I do agree that you have to see the doc and find out the issue. You also have to find the part of you that was willing to endure the surgery and recovery and tap into that when you are faced with meals. Since I am dealing with the same thing I know how hard it is, and I have not been successful myself. If I had the mentality to deny myself constantly and to be satisfied with 900 calories a day then I would not have needed surgery, and neither would you. Good luck and let me know what your doctor says.

Wow, seroiusly? I was not asking about following rules, I was asking if anyone has had a simmilar experience.

Still gotta follow the rules...obviously if you are eating what you want you won't lose weight.

OK again with the judgement. I am just asking if anyone has had the same experience thats all. How dare you call me a looser, you have no idea who I am or anything about me. Why do I test my band? Umm well lets see, because I got a fill and instead it feels like I got a total unfill. And dont dare assume I am testing with hamburgers where did that come from? You know you really need to learn to post if you have an answer to a question, not to criticize someone who is posting for help, I feel shitty enough thank you. Oh and by the way, my big breakfast was an egg white and spinach omelet.

So...your band has become non-functional, and you're doing WHAT? Eating whatever you want?

Ummm. I'm thinking that the Lap band is probably not gonna jump out of your stomach and snatch that burger out of your hand before you shove it into your mouth.

It doesn't usually work that way.

Yes, you DO need to see your Doctor and find out what the problem is. Perhaps it was someone new that gave you a fill, and accidentally removed some Fluid. It could be one of several things.

But the more important issue here is..... What are YOU going to do until this is sorted out? You need to eat as though the Band is working at full capacity. The rules do NOT change just because your band is not functioning as it should. If you have had your band for around a year, then you should know how to eat by now, and you shouldn't have to "test" the band in any way.

"I swear I feel like I have no band at all. Has anyone ever had this? I left a message for my Doc today after a big il breakfast."

You really didn't HAVE to have that "Big il breakfast". You could have had a small, band-sized breakfast, the kind you SHOULD be having every day.

"I was not hungry today while I ate but I tested the band all day and the food won every time."

I wouldn't see it so much as the food winning, but as YOU LOSING. And why did you feel the need to "test" the band?

You know, you really need to learn how to live WITHOUT the Lap Band. There is a very good possibility that your Lap band might be removed from you at some point. SOME surgeons are beginning to see the Lap Band as a temporary set of "training" wheels over a period of 3-5 years, during which the Patient should do everything they can to develop new eating habits, and a new relationship with food. This is because of increasing incidence of erosion, slippage, and other problems associated with the Band. And if it happens to you, you need to be ready.

SEE your Doctor, and find out what the problem is, and get it fixed. But in the meantime, STICK TO THE RULES.

S.

OK again with the judgement. I am just asking if anyone has had the same experience thats all. How dare you call me a looser, you have no idea who I am or anything about me. Why do I test my band? Umm well lets see, because I got a fill and instead it feels like I got a total unfill. And dont dare assume I am testing with hamburgers where did that come from? You know you really need to learn to post if you have an answer to a question, not to criticize someone who is posting for help, I feel shitty enough thank you. Oh and by the way, my big breakfast was an egg white and spinach omelet.

When you bring yourself into an open forum and post YOU INVITE ALL RESPONSES. maybe you should have asked if anyone ever felt LESS restriction after a fill, instead of how much you have gone off the wagon!! The band is a TOOL, not a fix all!!

Wow, seroiusly? I was not asking about following rules, I was asking if anyone has had a simmilar experience.

Well you said you are eating whatever you want, and testing your band with way to much food. It's not going to stop you from eating. No, I don't feel like I have something in my stomach. II don't physically feel any different... i don't think you are supposed to, it just makes me feel not hungry.

When you bring yourself into an open forum and post YOU INVITE ALL RESPONSES. maybe you should have asked if anyone ever felt LESS restriction after a fill, instead of how much you have gone off the wagon!! The band is a TOOL, not a fix all!!

I agree- stop being judgemental. If you had to have lap band surgery you are obviously in the same group that we are - those who cannot control their weight without difficulty. You may be one who gains it all back and then who will you judge?

I agree- stop being judgemental. If you had to have lap band surgery you are obviously in the same group that we are - those who cannot control their weight without difficulty. You may be one who gains it all back and then who will you judge?

Im not 100% sure this was directed at me, I do not believe Im being judgemental, the OP was offended by some post, i was/am simply pointing out in an open forum, they will get all responses. Of course we all struggle with weight. BTW everyone judges at some point, its life!!

I have not had a Band (I have about a week left to decide Sleeve (Scary), Band (Drama), so I can't really help you, but I will point out that I notice on these posts a lot of people's problems,struggles with the Band seem to be overly blamed on the Bandster. There is a lot of negativity and these 'helpful' posts seem to be more about arguing fine nuances of points or flaming others posts than anything else. It works for some and not others.

I think a lot of the issues with the Band is that they are marketed as something different than they are. I want a reduction in hunger, I want to not to have to work as HARD as many here do. To me it is sounding like a Tool that really won't work like I'd want it to. I understand your frustration with being able to 'test the band, and it wins everytime'. So, I say, call the Dr, start there. Luckily it has worked so far, hopefully it will continue to do so. Good Luck

WOW I am new to lapband and couldn't wait to read and learn from this sight. BUT I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO DISAPPOINTED. Someone ask a question and somebody calls them a loser. Are you kidding me. If we had will power we woudn't have needed the lapband in the first place. I am sick about this. I know myself and have lost weight and gained so many times. Thats why I did lapband for the help if it fails I am in trouble. I hope you found help from your DR. I had to stop reading the blogs because I was getting so angry. I thought this was suppose to be a sight to get support.. I am so sorry that someone would say such mean things to you.....

WOW I am new to lapband and couldn't wait to read and learn from this sight. BUT I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO DISAPPOINTED. Someone ask a question and somebody calls them a loser. Are you kidding me. If we had will power we woudn't have needed the lapband in the first place. I am sick about this. I know myself and have lost weight and gained so many times. Thats why I did lapband for the help if it fails I am in trouble. I hope you found help from your DR. I had to stop reading the blogs because I was getting so angry. I thought this was suppose to be a sight to get support.. I am so sorry that someone would say such mean things to you.....

Support comes in many forms, its not always rosey! Sometime we all need a Swift kick in the arse!!

Sorry Peeps - Sometimes experienced banders get a little annoyed w/newbies who think the band is going to do all the work for them and a statement like I can eat everything - well so can I - but I have to choose not too..

The band is just a piece of plastic - it doesn't make your food choices nor does it exercise for you - I disagree w/the doc who said eat like you did pre-band - WTH my pre-band eating is what got me fat in the 1st place - I ate high fat - high sugar - just cuz I eat a smaller portion of unhealthy food - that's going to make me healthy - I don't think so !!! chips, cakes, Cookies all go with that eating - along w/fried everything - tons of cheese...

IMHO even with proper restriction I've done 75% of the work to lose the weight (changed eating habits & exercise) and the band helped 25% of the time w/restriction. And as to being able to lose the weight only because of the band - not true.. There are many pple who do it without the band - the band is no guarantee - there are many here who have not or who have lost it but regain.. The majority of our issues w/food is in our heads not our stomachs imho..

When you post that you can eat everything - need to be more specific - all types of healthy food or Hamburgers & fries LOL and specific what amount of these foods you can consume..

To answer O/P no - I haven't had less restriction after a fill - Call your doctor..

I agree w/Spartan - even w/o restriction - eat like you do have it !!!