Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Puzzled and Lost

Hello, Name is Kim, was banded Dec, 3, 2010. Lost 18 ilbs the first month, but then gained 6 of it back. Am really discouraged and feeling like I was rushed through this precedure without proper counseling or advice about this procedure. When I ask questions I can't seem to get straight answers from anyone. Is there anyone that has had the lapband for a while who could possible answer my questions and give me a bit of support??? Getting regrets that I had this done due to the poor support from the staff and doctors.

I would find another bariatric surgeon to follow through with you for the rest of your "journey". If you're not comfortable and they are not meeting your needs, then this isn't a good fit for you.

I felt the same way about the weight loss being slow and feeling rushed into surgery. I actually took four months to kind of marinate in the whole idea before finishing up my prerequisites. The first six weeks were really tough, then I started seeing some changes. I've lost less weight than some friends, and more than others. I had to accept that everyone is different and will lose at different rates. I also had to get emotional support to start digging away at the psychological issues surrounding the food addiction.

I regretted the surgery until about a week ago, now I think I did the right thing and its working, but its only been 9 weeks so maybe in a few more months I will be even more sure about my decisions.

If you aren't willing to find another doctor, I would definitely have a discussion with the doctor you are seeing and his office manager. You deserve to be treated like a patient, not a number.

Good luck,

Liese

Hello, Name is Kim, was banded Dec, 3, 2010. Lost 18 ilbs the first month, but then gained 6 of it back. Am really discouraged and feeling like I was rushed through this precedure without proper counseling or advice about this procedure. When I ask questions I can't seem to get straight answers from anyone. Is there anyone that has had the lapband for a while who could possible answer my questions and give me a bit of support??? Getting regrets that I had this done due to the poor support from the staff and doctors.

Sorry you are discouraged. I was banded on Januany 18, 2011 and am still on the liquid diet. I had seen postings about the book "Bandwagon" by Jean McMillan on a forum and ordered it from Amazon. She is really honest about her own feelings and the process itself. It is really helping me understand what is going on with the band and my feelings. When you are deciding to do something about your weight you don't even know what questions to ask. My doctor does the first adjustment at 5 weeks after surgery. I would be frustrated too to gain back 6 lbs. I wonder sometimes if I rushed into this but I know in my heart that I would not have changed if I didn't do this for myself and I was getting so depressed when I would go clothes shopping or see a picture of myself. Good luck to you and maybe we can help each other through some of this.

Keep your head up and things can only get better with the band. I had surgery 12/30/10. So far I have lost 20lbs! I'm very excited! One thing that has helped me is I walk alot and I go to the gym 2's a day, in the morning before work and the afternoon after work. One thing that I have learned, you MUST eat alot of protein! I eat 80 grams a day in Protein in three meals with no snacking in between but I drink about 10-14 24oz glasses of Water per day. Remember no liquid calories either. Come on banders, you can do it!

Keep your head up and things can only get better with the band. I had surgery 12/30/10. So far I have lost 20lbs! I'm very excited! One thing that has helped me is I walk alot and I go to the gym 2's a day, in the morning before work and the afternoon after work. One thing that I have learned, you MUST eat alot of protein! I eat 80 grams a day in Protein in three meals with no snacking in between but I drink about 10-14 24oz glasses of Water per day. Remember no liquid calories either. Come on banders, you can do it!

Thanks everyone for the positive responses, I do not regret having the banding but guess I want better results. So am going to have to try harder and demand from my lap band team some respect and answers. Hearing ur successes sure encourages me!!!!!!!1

Hey Kim,

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, to the best of my ability. I'm new to the forum, but I've had my band for almost two years, and have lost 120 pounds so far. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like.

Danielle