Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting a little worried here guys...

All I can tell you is hang in there! There is plenty of complaining post on here. I just try not to read all those.

I was banded on 8/30/10 and I have lost only 60 pounds! :rolleyes: Six months, 10 lbs a month. Last week I lost 7 lbs. I drank more Water and worked out 4 days instead of 2. These are not huge/ sore muscle/grunt/ groaning work outs, just walking and strength training. Hang in there! The lapband does work.

I am sorry to hear your car was broken into.

So, today I am having a bad day. My car got broken into last night, I'm

exhausted and my weight loss has been at a stand still. So, I got

on LBT to get encouraged and I have read so many discouriaging things! I was banded 12/7/10 and have lost 17 pounds. Not great, but a success just the same. I get my first fill Monday and I am ready! I need tro hear some success stories! I have read the words "I just wasted 15,000 dollars" too many times today. Somebody, please tell me a success story! I need it! :(

Well..... this should be encouraging.

Got banded in 2005. Lost 120lb - first 90 within a year, another 10 over the folliowing year (then 20lb last year due to illness). Maintained a great BMI of 21 for 3 solid years, never gained an ounce, lost that 20 I mentioned and had to get unfilled for a major surgery. Realised that over time, all the work I did on lifestyle (healthy eating, exercise, not eating just for the sake of it) has stuck and have now maintained a BMI of 19 for several months without a fill -easily. So after my hard work with the band, I get to be thin and fit but eat "whatever I want". That means I get to enjoy bread, salads, red meat and fresh fruit - all the things that were hard for me with fill in my band and thus, not so enjoyable. AND get this - due to my fitness and exercise levels which I worked so hard to create, if I make my meals fresh, healthy and low fat I can easily afford the odd splurge - had lunch at the pancake Parlour today - dont have to worry about a glass of wine at night, or the odd cookie here and there. In fact, my maintenance level of calories is about 2400 with my running and with mainly healthy intake, my biggest problem is eating enough. The band has totally re-educated my mind about portion sizes, so my 3 meals and a healthy snack generally add up to about 1400, 1500 calories a day. I usually dont eat more than about 1800 in any given day, so a nice dinner out once a week when I might splurge 800 to 1000 calories with some wine and dessert as well as a main, no problem whatsoever, my weight stays steady.

I never though being unfilled would be so good, but its been a very big lesson in just how much my band has done for me. Its there if I need it in future, but for now, its done its job and it can just bide unless I suddenly begin to gain. I can always fill again. Life really couldnt get much better than that - I'm now a normal, "naturally thin" person!

on LBT to get encouraged and I have read so many discouriaging things! I was banded 12/7/10 and have lost 17 pounds. Not great, but a success just the same. I get my first fill Monday and I am ready! I need tro hear some success stories! I have read the words "I just wasted 15,000 dollars" too many times today. Somebody, please tell me a success story! I need it! :(

You ARE a success story. Dang!!! I was banded 12/8 and have "only" lost 14lbs!!! People need to stop comparing themselves to other posters on the board!!!

I was on phentermine about a year before surgery and it took me almost 4 months to lose 20lbs. Some people are slower losers than others. I look at it as at least I'm LOSING, not GAINING 14lbs. wink.gif

I consider myself a success, a great success. One thing though, I've made some SERIOUS changes in my habits and I think that has helped a ton.

I was banded on 7/29/10 and weighed 274 pounds. Today I weigh 191 pounds. 83 pounds lost in almost 25 weeks!

I feel so much better, I can't even tell you how good I feel because I don't think words could accurately describe it. And I look WONDERFUL IMO. I've waited so long to be able to say that about myself. I really really have. I uploaded new pics on my profile recently and have my presurgery ones up there too, the difference is just crazy.

I've cut out all breads, pastas, a lot of the "white" stuff. I now run around 3 miles a day (6 days a week) and the funny thing, I LOVE RUNNING! I've made this commitment to myself and I will not fail this time. I don't think I wouldn't have been this successful if I hadn't been committed to these changes.

I've recently hit my first plateau, but I'm not all too discouraged by it, I've been expecting it and I'll work through it. I baby my band, it is my tool for success.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

Hang in there. I've had mine since December of 2006 and the first couple of months it didn't seem like anything was relly happening. I saw a picture of myself today from just two years ago and couldn't believe how different I look. each year I have lost more in that year than the previous year and am done 120 lbs and still going. You're going to do great!

I consider myself to be successful. I am approaching my 1 year bandaversary and have lost 60 lbs so far. It averages out to just over a pound a week, but I could never have done this without the help of my band. I have made some significant changes in my food choices, but sometimes it is difficult to go out and eat. I think I can still eat a regular size portion, but what happens is I end up taking home leftovers and eating 3 more meals out of it.

I have also come to love to work out - something I never thought I would say. My doc told me after the first 35-50 pounds you will look at it differently and he was right.

I went to the doc on Monday and they took a picture of me and I looked at my 1st picture there and what a difference! Sometimes I can't believe the physical changes in my body.

I LOVE MY BAND!

There are plenty of people here who will be happy to extoll the virtues of the Lap band, and share their success with you.

But, don't be afraid of reading the negative stuff, either. You can learn a lot from UNSUCCESSFUL people as well. Many of them leave "clues" to their failures in the posts. You really should study both sides of it. Many of the less successful people can provide a good lesson in how to NOT use the Lap band.

S.

Great thread. I loved reading every post.

17 lbs...are you KIDDING ME???!!! That is AWESOME! Just think....how long did it used to take for you to lose that much with lifestyle changes and not dieting? OMG you are not giving yourself enouhg credit. You are doing amazing and you haven't even hit the "honeymoon phase" yet. I say keep your chin up! You are doing what you need to do and doing really well. Remember that quick fixes...are all too often temporary fixes. Also...do you have a scale that measures body fat and muscle instead of just weight? Maybe you are staying the same number but things are changing inside? Have you been measuring yourself with a tape measure...belly...arms...legs....etc? You need to look for those Non scale Victories...I bet you have some you haven't even noticed yet. At 17 lbs lost I bet it's easier to stand for a longer period of time...easier to walk, more comfortable sleeping....lots of things change with that amount of weight. Even ten pounds can make a huge difference in health risks...and you are nearly double that in just over a month! KUDOS! YOU did that! Own that...beleive it...there is more to come.

Furthermore...I beleive it is the stress that really has you down. Not the weight. Stress is always there but in sometimes you have something that just shakes you to the core. You have been violated and very rightly feel like things are spiraling out of control..... This time the difference is, it's not your health or food choices or your weight that is out of control...it is an external event that is as random as it is senseless. I don't know about you but I have real control issues. I can't STAND it when I can't control the details of things. And now you are thrist in a situation you didn't choose, don't deserve, and you have to deal with unected unplanned details in making your world right again. Prayer (if it comforts you) Yoga, Deep breaths or simply doing something you really enjoy may help a lot! Go get a massage! Have you made a list of things you will do along the way to reward yourself for dealing with stress in a new way? If so take it out and pick something! If not...MAKE ONE! Include things you love to do, things you never bother to make time for...for me it's learning a new song on my guitar, drawing, playing legos with my kids, or even allowing myself to spend a little too much time cruising the internet ;) Treat yourself right now because you have been through something traumatic and need to heal emotionally. Think of how you would comfort someone else if they were feeling blue...and treat yourself with TWICE that kindness....bet you will feel better in no time!

Hi! You are for sure a success! The great thing about the band is it's SLOW weight loss which is the healthiest way to lose weight.

I have something else to add though - I think sometimes it's hard to keep up a positive attitude when sucky things happen (like someone breaking into your car!) I can tell you that two days after my surgery, my daughter was driving my car home from work (at 5pm) and was hit by a 4th offense drunk driver pulling out of a liquor store. My car was so damaged it had to be towed to a shop and I haven't seen it yet Then I fell on some ice in the mall parking lot. I was in pain from the surgery and felt so beat up and demoralized by life. It manifested into "buyers remorse" and wished I had never put the stupid lap band in. Fast forward a week, I am feeling stronger, less pain, my car is being repaired, my daughters medical expenses are being covered as well as a rental car. Now that I am over that funk I wouldn't trade my band for anything!

Hang in there! You will be fine...just stick to it and keep yourself focused.

I've been banded for 10 months and have lost 112lbs. I have started doing the Insanity workout, something incredibly intense and something I would never have been able to do before. I'm fitting into size sixteens (from a size 26), getting hit on by men (something my husband isn't always thrilled about), and feeling great about myself most of the time. If I hadn't had the band done, I would probably be another 30lbs heavier by now.

This is a great thread. I appreciate that the OP reached out and asked for some positive vibes and info. I too have been concerned about the tone of some of the recent threads and posts.

Let me tell you my band story. In July, I weighed 215 pounds - I am 5'6" - that was the largest that I have been in my life. On Sept 23rd, I flew to Cancun, on the 24th I had surgery and on the 25th I flew home. I have lost just over 40 pounds so far and am about halfway to my goal of 135.

I have had ZERO complications - I am still working out how the band should work and be worked. The doc that I had setup for my aftercare fired me because I could not attend their support group meetings often enough ( I live three hours away).

Moments before I looked at this post, I vomited up my chicken dinner - it was well chewed, but I think I just had too much in there.

So, I am here telling you that this is the BEST thing that I ever did to be caring to myself five minutes after I lost my dinner....

There are some people who have had some negative experiences - but I believe that life is a series of choices and one choice that I have is how to react or respond to each event and circumstance that comes my way. Do I wish that I had lost even more weight, yes, but I have not. I also take full responsibility for where I am now and where I will be tomorrow and next week.

One day at a time, one meal at a time, one pound at a time.

Keep the faith, learn as much as you can and focus on the positive as much as you can.

I was banded almost a year ago and for me this has been an amazing process. I'm down to my wedding weight and although it's taken a lot of time in the gym and a small amount of willpower, it hasn't been all-consuming yet has absolutely been life changing. The best decision I ever made. I wish you all the success in the world.

Hi,

I think as usual, there is good and bad....are you following the diet, and doing excercise? I have a friend who was banded over a 1yr ago, she should have lost more as she said, but hasn't been eating right, and she has lost over 70 #'s ......she said she would do it over anytime......maybe you need an adjustment?

Linda

sorry you're having a bad day!!! we've all been there!!!

Well I was banded July 1, 2010, and I am down over a hundred pounds. I LOVE MY BAND!!! ok, so banded living aint a bed of roses, we all have lousy days, but it is by far the safest option out there....I would do it again in a heart beat!

I eat soo much less, am not hungry all the time, go to the gym every day, even do ZUMBA, LOL....

follow up is key. go to support..if you're eating too much, get a fill. take care of your band...its just a tool....USE IT!!!!