Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel a little bummed...

Hi

I had my second fill on thursday, 2 cc's. I was filled 6 cc's during surgery. So I sit with 8 cc's in my 10 cc band. I am really hungry now. Counting calories as I don't want to gain. Definitely not at my sweet spot. I feel like this could really be a rocky road, trying not to gain and my stomach litterally growling. I honestly don't think this us a case of head hunger. Eating my protien first and aiming for min 60 grams of it a day. I don't have much fill room left in my band, just 2 cc's. Worried that I just spent $16,000 on absolutely nothing.

Hey Scoobie... I had my surgery Nov. 3rd and my first fill 6cc in a 10cc band Dec. 23. I go for my second fill on Jan. 24.. but I feel the same way you do...I'm still very hungry and I'm hoping with this next fill that I'll be less hungry between meals.... My stomach is growling now!! When I had my fill in the 23rd the nurse said I should lose about 1-2 lbs a wk, but I've lost and gained the same 2 lbs!! I guess I can look on the bright side... I didn't gain anything over Christmas...

Hoping my second fill with keep me full!!!

BamaMom~Amy

Hey Scoobie... I had my surgery Nov. 3rd and my first fill 6cc in a 10cc band Dec. 23. I go for my second fill on Jan. 24.. but I feel the same way you do...I'm still very hungry and I'm hoping with this next fill that I'll be less hungry between meals.... My stomach is growling now!! When I had my fill in the 23rd the nurse said I should lose about 1-2 lbs a wk, but I've lost and gained the same 2 lbs!! I guess I can look on the bright side... I didn't gain anything

over Christmas...

Hoping my second fill with keep me full!!!

BamaMom~Amy

thanks for the reply. This is frustrating isn't it? I've lost 11 pounds since my surgery december 3rd, but like I say, I've been calorie counting so I feel the loss is due to that. I hope we can both be successful, it's sort of nerve wracking because I have the will but how long will I survive on willpower alone?it's not my strong point, which is in part how I became overweight in the first place. Good luck to you :)

The difference between restriction and not-restriction can be a very small amount of saline, but the difference is night and day.

Another thing to consider is that, for some inexplicable reason, a fill can actually take a couple of weeks to "kick in." I have no idea why, but I have experienced it first hand.

Both before and after restriction, I have found that focusing on nutrition and activity is most productive for me. Exercise helps my mood and motivation to eat well (oh yeah, and I guess it's also pretty good for you). And now that I can't eat nearly as much, it's really important to get my nutrition in.

A nutritious snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon really helps me. I'm not starving at meal time, so I make better choices and don't eat too fast and run into trouble (now that I have good restriction). If I go to the gym in the evening and am hungry before bed, sometimes I'll have a Protein shake.

Good luck on your journey -- and hang in there. It will work!

The difference between restriction and not-restriction can be a very small amount of saline, but the difference is night and day.

Another thing to consider is that, for some inexplicable reason, a fill can actually take a couple of weeks to "kick in." I have no idea why, but I have experienced it first hand.

Both before and after restriction, I have found that focusing on nutrition and activity is most productive for me. Exercise helps my mood and motivation to eat well (oh yeah, and I guess it's also pretty good for you). And now that I can't

eat nearly as much, it's really important to get my nutrition in.

A nutritious snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon really helps me. I'm not starving at meal time, so I make better choices and don't eat too fast and run into trouble (now that I have good restriction). If I go to the gym in the evening

and am hungry before bed, sometimes I'll have a Protein shake.

Good luck on your journey -- and hang in there. It will

work!

thank you for the feedback. I am in this for the long haul but I guess my worries are getting the best of me. I hope I just need a couple weeks maybe, like you suggested. Here's hoping. Trying to be patient, when I start getting hunger pangs after and in between my three healthy meals and two healthy Snacks I get discouraged, it starts feeling like the "old me". I don't want that life anymore.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it does help to read it :)

Hi

I had my second fill on thursday, 2 cc's. I was filled 6 cc's during surgery. So I sit with 8 cc's in my 10 cc band. I am really hungry now. Counting calories as I don't want to gain. Definitely not at my sweet spot. I feel like this could really be a rocky road, trying not to gain and my stomach litterally growling. I honestly don't think this us a case of head hunger. Eating my protien first and aiming for min 60 grams of it a day. I don't have much fill room left in my band, just 2 cc's. Worried that I just spent $16,000 on absolutely nothing.

Wow! 6cc at surgery? I think you're the first person I've ever heard of whose doc put that much in at surgery!

At any rate, hang in there. When I had my fills I never felt anything for about 2 weeks. Then *wham*, one morning I'd wake up tight and have to be super careful in my chewing. It would ease up again in a few days but still noticeably tighter.

As someone else said, at this point, even the tiniest fill (even .1cc) might take you from hunger to the sweet spot. Don't give up yet :)

Wow! 6cc at surgery? I think you're the first person I've ever heard of whose doc put that much in at surgery!

At any rate, hang in there. When I had my fills I never felt anything for about 2 weeks. Then *wham*, one morning I'd wake up tight and have to be super careful in my chewing. It would ease up again in a few days but still noticeably tighter.

As someone else said, at this point, even the tiniest fill (even .1cc) might take you from hunger to the sweet spot. Don't give up yet :)

thx so much for the encouragement, I need to hear experiences like this to know this has happened to other people too (not feeling restriction after fills). I know .... The 6 cc's at surgery worries me, only in that now that I've had a 2 cc fill I'm already nearing the bands capacity. I feel weird that I already have so much in my band and don't feel much difference, if any at all. I hope another small fill might do the trick or better yet I will start feeling some restriction in a week or two ( fingers and toes crossed). I will feel pretty defeated if I reach my max and that's it .... No restriction whatsoever. Trying to stay the course and be positive.

6 CCs at surgery is incredible. Did you have a problem with post op nausea? (I had NO fill and was sick as a dog for a week just from the swelling from surgery....)

When you got this most recent fill, did your surgeon (or whoever did the fill) say "You have 8 CCs now" or just "I'm adding 2 CCs"? If there's any remote possibility that you may have misunderstood, or that someone misstated the "6 CCs" figure, consider double-checking at your next visit, just to be sure.

Though it's still entirely possible not to have good restriction at 8 CCs. (I'm at 8.5 right now, but at 7.5 could eat just about anything by evening. Not anymore!)

As for hunger between meals and Snacks, drink a lot of Water. Do you do Protein drinks? That can also help.

Are you eating 1/2 cup of food at a meal now, even though you don't have restriction? (I'm no one to emulate, but I sure didn't do that.) Do what your doc says, of course. But if that's the case, then that explains you're hungry. You're not eating very much.

Ah well, I guess they call it bandster hell for a reason. I dealt with it by eating a lot. I can tell you that this did not work out well for me. It was extremely depressing and demoralizing and I didn't start really losing weight for several months.

Keep fighting the good fight. Things will improve immensely when you have good restriction (i.e. when the band actually starts working!)

Hi Pixistix

thanks for the feedback. I got the 6 cc's figure from the nutritionist when we spoke the first time, he pulled out my file and got the number from there. So I'm assuming that is correct, but maybe I should contact the clinic to confirm? When I went for the fill, the nurse said the requisition said to give me a 2 cc fill. So that's where I got the 8 in total. Wonder if this is correct.

I'm eating more than 1/2 cup. My surgeon suggests 1 cup total per meal with the emphasis on protien. I would say for the *most* part I adhere to this guideline. I haven't gone nuts, I'm actually really proud of how well I've held it all together despite having the nagging hunger/growling stomach. Just counting calories currently, really being mindful so I don't gain. Looking for some help from the band now :)

I do try to drink Water all day, but I could be upping that for sure. Haven't been drinking protien shakes since my "full fluids" stage post op. The clinic wants us to use them sparingly.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond -- much appreciated. I am going to keep plugging along and do my damndest not to get discouraged. :)