Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my surgery on the Monday the 10th and today is the 12th… I’m so hungry I mean I feel like I’m starving! I’m sticking to what the doctor and the dietitian told me to do … but oh my gosh my hunger pains are the worst part of all this! Please help what do I do!? Is this normal?! Will I ever be satisfied and full ever again!?

Are you on liquids? How much Protein are you getting in a day?

Are you sure it's hunger and not gas pains?

I just had my surgery on the Monday the 10th and today is the 12th… I'm so hungry I mean I feel like I'm starving! I'm sticking to what the doctor and the dietitian told me to do … but oh my gosh my hunger pains are the worst part of all this! Please help what do I do!? Is this normal?! Will I ever be satisfied and full ever again!?

Drink, Drink, Drink that broth! make sure your getting Protein if you can do shakes already make sure you drink them, make a good chicken or beef broth and drink it all day...

It is normal to feel hungry after surgery because you are not eating like you were before all your getting is broth and that doesnt satisfy you for long...

You will be satisfied again dont worry as far as full that is subjective, Because I never get "full" anymore just satisfied and ok feeling.

I make my chicken broth as follows:

Chicken

2 bays leaves

onion

garlic

Boil all the above with some salt (little bit) until meat is falling off bone...Enjoy :)

Yes I'm on a full liquids ... and I guess I wasn't given a total amount of Protein I should be taking in. Plus I'm having the gas pains and they both just really suck! When do these feelings seem to pass?

I felt much better after 3 or 4 days. Should have at least 60 grams of Protein, which is at least 3 shakes a day (i think most have about 20g protein) or you are going to be hungry.

Had mine on the 10th also. Don't know what kind of after diet your Dr has you on but I'm on a liquid diet for another 2 weeks. Protein Drinks, creamed Soups, sugar free Jello and pudding and sugar free popsicles and crystal light. I'm hardly hungry at all. so far today had a Protein Shake with a couple frozen peaches pureed in and a 1/2 cup of Soup. Can you do a Protein shake? Could you maybe be thinking you should be hungry? I know head hunger versus real hunger has been a problem for a lot of us. I'm sure I'll be dealing with that eventually. Maybe your band has no Fluid yet? The Dr.said mine has some but I won't have a fill for at least a month. Hope it all gets better for you. Maybe call the Dr's office and ask for advice. Good luck :)

As others said, the most important thing is to get in your Protein Shakes. At least 60 grams a day. This should help a great deal with the hunger. If you don't get enough Protein you will be sure to get hungry and struggle a lot more. broth didn't really do much for me. If I was still hungry I was told to have an extra shake.< /p>

After a few weeks your Dr will likely have you transition to getting your protein from food sources and cut back and eventually stop the shakes.< /p>

Good Luck and congratulations on getting banded. :D

Full liquids for me included strained cream Soups, so in addition to the Protein shakes (which for me, the sweetness of those made me MORE hungry), also go for some cream of chicken Soup mixed with fat free milk instead of Water (be sure to strain it!), or some Tomato Soup, again mixed with fat free milk. The Fat Free milk ups the Protein content significantly.

You can also add 2% milk to get a little more fat (which migh make you feel a little more full), but you lose a little protein so it's a trade off.

Also, some people add flavorless Protein powder to the soups to up the protein more. I didn't do this myself because I was reaching my protein goal without it, but it's an option. My goal was 44-55 grams a day for the first week.

It does pass. Promise. :)

You guys are great! Thanks so much for the input! I really can't thank you enough for all the help... I think I'm not getting enough Protein in! Gosh I had no idea! What would I do without all the help! Thank you thank you thank you!!

I am super jealous! I had mine Monday, the 10th, and i have to do Clear Liquids until Friday. Then i get to add skim milk, Protein Shakes, and strained cream Soups. I am on this diet until day 15 post op and then i get to add pureed (mushy) foods. I am starving. I would hop on one leg and cluck like a chicken for a glass of milk.

I am so glad I'm on a liquid diet with some latitude. I imagine I'd be starving if I had to be on clear liquids till Friday. Hang in there, only a couple of more days.:blink:

I too am starving. I was banded on 01/06/11. I seem to be doing a little better today, but still feel that hunger pang. I also had really bad gas mostly in my chest that seems to have subsided and is much better today.

I was banded on 01-07 and I guess I have been lucky so far.. No gas pains or hardly any pain at all. I have been a little hungry today but it did pass after a popsicle. I dont like the protien shakes at all so I make them into a smoothie. Protien, ice, fruit and Water or milk. So much better than powder and protien. Good luck to you, hope all goes well! :)

Thank you all for your posts! I had surgery on Thursday and was unprepared for just how painful and uncomfortable this would be. I am burbing up gas and that's not too painful, but the oxycodone they gave me causes me to be a bit nauseous and if I see one more Protein shake, I am going to throw up!!! The worst of all are the hunger pains, which just seem to make everything hurt. I got in my 60 grams of Protein yesterday and 52 oz liquids. I have had 40 oz protein and 30 oz liquids thus far today and am STILL starving! My sweet husband went to get some tasteless Protein Powder and is in the kitchen right now making me chicken broth with the added protein. I am hoping this helps. The 1 oz per every 15 minutes is really hard when I'm this hungry and thirsty all the time. Aaagh! I just want this to go away! It's helpful to hear that others have gone through the same thing and have come out the other side fairly quickly.

Thanks!

Cat