Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2011 - banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Oh my goodness, I am so far behind!

((((BOBBIE!!!!)))) Good to see you girlie! Sorry about the poundage, that totally sux. I've read others here using prescription appetite suppressants with a band. The discussion always brings a debate of why get the band if you are going to take the pills, taking the pills don't help you create new habits, and so on so forth. My two cents...if they are safe for your body, and help you get through until you reach proper restriction, go for it.

Crystl, what a drag about the break in!

Counselor, with Crohn's, the gluten problem doesn't show as an allergy, right? It's all about the digestive system?

Melody, gotta agree with Shammah, 1 pound a week is a good loss rate. I averaged 3/4 pound. Of course, I know why I lost so slowly (wispering, "lack of exercise"). Just keep slogging along and in a year you'll be down 50 more!

Leigha, saw Bob's update on FB, he looks great! The skin removed, a bit gross.

Elcee, was wonder about your BP cause mine was high before surgery, now is low-normal. Sometimes it drops unexpectedly--when I have been standing longish periods (like 30-40 minutes). I gray out and get sweaty, nauseous, and wobbly. I did a 24 hour Holter monitor, but not the BP monitor. Nothing happended during that time, of course. My primary care doctor says this is something he sees in his weight-loss patients (not only surgical). My band doc's nurse practitioner says it is not band related. I thought perhaps it was Vagus Nerve stuff.

It's been a wild a wooly week here. Had three days of training at work. On the second day, our trainer's daughter delivered her baby, so our trainer abandoned us. We made do and got through it. Fortunately, she gave us warning that it could occur, so we had contingency plans. But it was three days of lunches out and one dinner out with a co-worker from out of town. I am NOT going near a scale for a few days! :o

MIL had two doctors appointments this week. DH takes her, that always sends him into a funk. At this point there is not much doctors can do, but they won't come right out and say that. Plus she won't answer their questions honestly. Cardiologist asks yesterday if she gets winded easily. Oh no, she says. She can barely get from livingroom to the bathroom without stopping to catch her breath. DH corrected that fib. She's been told again and again to keep her legs elevated all the time to help drain the Fluid, she does it for 15 minutes and thinks she is doing great. Then she complains about her legs. They bother her the most, but she won't elevate them. Whatever!

Hi,

I am Stephanie, another newbie wanting to join this thread, I haven't been on LBT in a while and need to get back on the losing bandwagon! I am 33, married with 2 wild boys 10 & 5. I had my realize band put on 11-11-08. I have lost 98 pounds and need to lose like at least 60 more. I am about to try the Zumba exercise, anyone here ever done this type exercise? They offer it free at several churches in my neighborhood but I just gotta make myself go.

Anyway hope to keep up with this thread, the one I used to post on has fizzled out...

Hi Stephanie, welocme!! We had Karen on this thread who did Zumba, haven't seen her around in a while, but she loved it. Exercise is the word I most hate when it comes to weight management. :lol:

98 pounds is awesome! Keep up the good work!

I have to tell you all that this is my favorite post to read. You are all so funny and positive and it almost seems like a little family! So I am inspired to join in.

I had my lapband surgery on 11/8/10. I think I am doing pretty good....still have days when I don't eat as well as I should. I am 45 and have two kids 22 and 16. I have just recently started going to the gym....something I have always hated doing. I don't enjoy going like some people but I am forcing myself for now.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you. I hope everyone is doing well and has a great week!

Jan

Welcome Jan and Stephanie!

Hey you other newbies to the thread who joined not too long ago, Jump on in!

Hey Karen ..... where the heck have you been? We miss you on the thread! There are other missing thread members too. Jump back in!!!! would love to hear from you.

I'm back to piecing a quilt ...........It's going together pretty fast and keeping my mind off food!!:D

Happy New Year Everyone!

I'm new to this thread-I am another one who is very happy the Holiday's are over and I'm ready to bring on the new year. So far so good......I was banded on October 19, 2010. Up until my most recent fill last Tuesday I did not feel any restriction. I am pretty sure that is what I'm feeling now. If I eat too fast I feel a slight pain in my chest-almost like food is stuck in my throat. I take a deep breath and a break for a few min and then I'm fine. Is this what it feels like to have restriction? I'm eating about 8 oz of food at a time and feeling full. I really think that I finally found my "sweet spot". I'm continuing to make healthy food choices and i work out 30-45 min every single day. I'm feeling GREAT!!!! The one thing that I'm struggling with is finding new healthy food choices that aren't "too" healthy. My husband is less than impressed with my new menu. He does not like fish-if anyone can reccomend any chicken or ground turkey receipes I would really apprecaite it. It is just the two of us so making two different dinners each night is silly. Thank you!

Mistybrooks

Hi Jan, welcome! This thread is my favorite! Just join on in! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the list Stephanie, Jan and Misty!

HB: Those quilt colors sound gorgeous! I've just picked out the fabric for my son and soon to be daughter-in-law's wedding quilt - think fall leaf type oranges with some forest green - and I'm going to have to finish it quickly because I hate the colors. She loves forest green. He's a fan of orange. Oh, excuse me metallic burnt orange. <_< The running joke in the family is that he bought a metallic orange Element (car), a cell phone that matches (no joke) and a fiance with orangish red hair (natural, no less).

Denise: I've been doing Tae Bo for a few days and I love it so hopefully I'll keep up with it and *maybe* get more than a pound a week.

Melody

Hey Melody, he knows what he likes! Does he have an Irish Setter? :lol:

Hey Melody, he knows what he likes! Does he have an Irish Setter? :lol:

Nah...that would be too 'mahogany' for him. I'm thinking one of those orange alley cats might be his best bet for a color match.

when other threads get me down I know where to come :lol: Irish setter :smilielol5:

I just wanted my 1400th post to be on this thread! :rolleyes: Yay for me!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled posts.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I'm new to this thread-I am another one who is very happy the Holiday's are over and I'm ready to bring on the new year. So far so good......I was banded on October 19, 2010. Up until my most recent fill last Tuesday I did not feel any restriction. I am pretty sure that is what I'm feeling now. If I eat too fast I feel a slight pain in my chest-almost like food is stuck in my throat. I take a deep breath and a break for a few min and then I'm fine. Is this what it feels like to have restriction? I'm eating about 8 oz of food at a time and feeling full. I really think that I finally found my "sweet spot". I'm continuing to make healthy food choices and i work out 30-45 min every single day. I'm feeling GREAT!!!! The one thing that I'm struggling with is finding new healthy food choices that aren't "too" healthy. My husband is less than impressed with my new menu. He does not like fish-if anyone can reccomend any chicken or ground turkey receipes I would really apprecaite it. It is just the two of us so making two different dinners each night is silly. Thank you!

Mistybrooks

Hi Misty, welcome! That does indeed sound like restriction. Congrats! Go slow, you don't want to get stuck. My hubby and I struggle with menus, also. He is the cook, as he is retired and I am not. We do shake and bake chicken thighs. Pork chops (they go down fine, chicken breast does not--go figure). Salads. Steak (very small bites!). I am the non-fish eater in our house, and I've gotten dreadfully stuck on the fish I do like :( . With the meat we usually have a green veggie and some form of potato, of which I eat a little bit.

We don't really do recipes, so I am not much help there, hopefully some of the other folk on here will have some good ideas we can both pick up on!

Good morning bandsters...

Just thought I'd check in before I start my day. Breakfast is done and I have time to do a round of Tae Bo before I head out into the cold. <Brrrrr> I don't think I've been out of the house in 2 weeks so it feels like an adventure. :lol:

I need to go in and change my ticker as I'm officially down 1 lb this morning. I know I know...I should be happy but c'mon...4 lbs a month? Pfffft. In an attempt to shake up the slow weight loss, I've decided to cut my Breakfast down to 1 egg and 1 slice of bacon. We'll see if that's enough to keep me going for 4 hours without hunger. If it is, that's where I'll stay. Have to admit though that looking at that one lonely little egg and slice of bacon was a bit...sad. They just looked like they needed a bit more 'company' and while I'm not hungry right now, my stomach is still doing the whole mental 'feed me, Seymour'.

Last week my busy hands activity was working on sorting photos for my two sons albums and updating mine. I had to stop at the end of 2004 because I can't locate the digital photos (that I most likely didn't print) from that time to the present. I know I have them because I remember taking them. Now where the heck did I download them? I'm gonna cry if I can't find them.

So since I'm too depressed at the thought, I've put everything away and, like Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think about it tomorrow. In the meantime I'm going to start working on my son's wedding quilt to keep my hands busy. Here's hoping I don't run over my thumb with the rotary blade. If memory serves, it hurts like a mother.

Have a good one y'all!

Melody

P.S. I just read back through this post. Apparently you can just call me Mrs. Murphy today since I'm obviously looking for things to go wrong. :blink:

Misty,

I feed my family the same thing I eat. They just eat more carbs than I do. I generally just pan fry, broil or grill my pork chops, steaks, burgers, chicken or fish, add in a salad and/or some vegies and a rice/potato/bean side dish (cuz I can eat them too). Occasionally I'll make biscuits or bread (for them).

The other night I made shrimp scampi (shrimp sauteed in garlic and butter), rice pilaf and steamed broccoli with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Another night I did stir fry with snow peas, broccoli, minced gingerroot, onions and pork loin served over rice. We seasoned it individually with soy sauce. Another night we had hamburgers on Buns. They had regular buns. I made Atkins revolution roll buns (tweaked the recipe though) made without flour. Another night we had meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Tonight I'm doing chicken breasts stuffed with spinach and feta, risotto and a salad.< /p>

I just make sure to serve out my 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of vegies and 1/4 cup of rice or potatoes.