Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2011 - banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

BetsyB posts on another lapband forum too. It also seems like she has a very busy life. I do miss her posts here as well. Where are ya Betsy?

Maybe send her a PM any see if you get a reply. Tell her how much we miss her :D

Melody, are those stilettos you're wearing in your pic? nice touch :D makes your legs look long.

Melody, are those stilettos you're wearing in your pic? nice touch :D makes your legs look long.

Bahahahaha! Thanks for the laugh.

Hi Everyone!

Oh my gosh, it's been busy here. DH and I made our annual trek to Quartzsite, AZ last weekend in the motorhome. It is a huge swapmeet, and we camp in the desert. Poor Butters had very sore feet after the first day, so we had to buy him shoes! He was soooo cute!

We decided to treat ourselves to Burger King for lunch. I told myself to take it slow and easy. Oh well. Urped in the ladies room. Went back to the picnic table, urped in the bag. Threw it all away. Urped in the rocks. Headed for the truck, urped in the parking lot by the freeway off-ramp. Now I remember why I don't have hamburgers! I urped WAY more than I ate. Sheesh. Other than that, I had a great time.

So, I lost another tooth today. At this rate I will be toothless by the time I retire. And the damn tooth fairy didn't come last time, she better come this time! Today was brutal, the tooth broke and when it did it cut my cheek. Ugh. Ah well.

Elfie, my mom wore the same dress to all three of her children's weddings. I will be 22 years married this year and mine was the last. Something to be said about wearing the same dress! As to calories in, calories out.. I don't buy it. Everyone is different. I only lost 3/4 pound per week on average when I was losing. But ya know what? Down was down. Frustrating as all get out when you see folk losing 5 lbs a week, but oh well. Some of them are no longer on the board and I am. So hey, it is all good! Keep up the good work.

2beskinny, talk it over with your doctor. If you are hungry within a couple of hours of eating solid Protein, then request a fill. If you are getting stuck often, review your eating habits. Are you taking small bites and eating slowly? That can make a big difference.

Crystl, you look GREAT! That girlie just needs to stuff it up her biscuit!

Denise, sorry to hear about the burger mishap. Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about the tooth. That really sucks. I agree with the calories in vs. calories out not being the same for all of us. My son's GF eats burgers and fries and that sort of stuff all the time. She does not workout and stays skinny as a rail. Of course she is 16 years younger than me, but I had the same weight issues when I was her age too.

Just checking in

2be: Crystl is right. Ithink Betsy on bandedliving.com.

Denise: sorry about burger and really sorry for the tooth

Melody: self employed--must be nice :D FYI you are not a bad mother--very, normal loving one

2be, I think I would just rely on the band and watching what you eat even if the weightloss may seem slow. You may be surprised how much a tiny fill will help you when you are lingering around your sweet spot. It seems like every weightloss pill they come up with has major problems after awhile and gets pulled off the market. Of course that is after people have heart damage or something. I tend to like that the band is more of a mechanical thing and not a drug.

Denise,

Maybe I missed it (or you said longer than 3 days ago which is about how long my memory is good for these days :blink:), but have you figured out what the problem is with your teeth?? That just doesn't sound normal to be losing them.

And you have a way with words, girl. The hamburger episode, while not funny for you, was giving me the giggles...but I can so relate. I rarely get stuck on anything since my refill to 6cc in October, but hamburgers used to give me major problems.

Your camping trip sounds like fun! When gas prices went up, my husband refused to pull our RV out of the drive. So after sitting in our drive for almost 3 years, I sold it. I love the man, but every so often I have this errant thought that perhaps I should've kept the camper and gotten rid of him. :mellow:

Elfie, it costs about a hundred bucks for half a tank of gas. Yikes! We don't go very far. Arizona and Central California are about it. Add to it that camping out in Arizona is free on Bureau of Land Management land and it equalizes somewhat.

Glad the burger story entertained. I figure we have to be able to laugh about it and accept it, else it would get very difficult to live with! My poor husband. He deals with it well. I was together with a banded co-worker a couple of weeks ago. First time I've had a meal with a fellow bandster. She got stuck. It was odd to experience the helplessness my DH feels watching me go through it.

As to my teeth? I ignored them in my younger years (Sorry Crystl!). My family does not have a good history with teeth. My mother was in full dentures by 35. My father had only his four front lower teeth left by his mid-fourties. I remember him going through deep cleanings trying to keep his teeth. It was unsuccessful. My sister has none of her back molars, all other teeth from and including the bicuspids back have root canals and crowns.

I am a mess! :-) One dentist said I could keep this one and wait until it became a problem. Another said it could go either way and that the pocket was so deep he wanted me to see the periodontist for a third opinion. Periodonist said it needed to come out. As it was a root-canaled tooth I'd not feel any infection until it got VERY bad and possibly involved the tooth in front of it. And with my luck, I'd be on vacation somewhere, like the last tooth. X-ray showed decay under the crown. So, I decided to pull it before it became a huge issue.

Only problem was a simple extraction became a surgical extraction, because I AM "Murphy's Law"! As he looked closely at the tooth before beginning he said he thought it was cracked. He was right. Snap went the tooth! Seeing the decay inside convinced me I made the right decision.

The pain today is not bad. I had a doozy of a headache last night. An entire drum corps was practicing in my brain, the nerve of them! I figure the trauma triggered off a Migraine.< /p>

You sound like my family. My mom had dentures by the time she was 19. Half of her 9 siblings had dentures very young. My brother had dentures by the age of 30. Years ago the dentist said they had 'soft' teeth...whatever that meant. I had a cousin who took very good care of her teeth. Fluoride, flossing, 6 month cleanings, brushing after every meal...and her teeth are still rotting out of her head. The only thing all that care got her was not getting dentures before 30, but she'll still have them by 50....which I suppose is still an improvement. So don't blame yourself too much...it may just be genetic.

I do believe it is genetics. The two over the last few months are the first to go. Hopefully the last, but I doubt it. Ah well. I am approaching 50. I guess they need to make a move about "My Changing Body" as you turn 50. I am losing molars and losing my period -- seems opposite of what happened in puberty. :o Add to that the acne and skin problems due to changing hormones, it is such fun! Life is just full of surprises, isn't it?

OK, I added pictures of Butters in his new shoes. There are in the gallery on my profile. I can't seem to be able to insert them here. Oh well!

Genetics do count when it comes to teeth. I got both my parent's bad teeth, so I do understand. There are also many other things like how much fluoride was in the Water when you were a toddler and the perm. teeth are developing down in the bone. We were dirt poor and I was raised by a single mom. I remember going to the dentist one time when I was a small child and then one time when I was 14 to get a chipped front tooth fixed. I went to the dentist when I was 23 and got my own dental insurance. I had 11 cavities. I am from the Kool-aide and double-mint gum generation. The best thing you can do is keep up with cleanings (from a registered dental hygienist), do your homecare to include flossing daily, and hope for the best. Maybe those will be the only 2 teeth you will have to part with! :D

For some reason Butters doesn't look too happy about the shoes. Or is that his happy look? too cute tho

tn_gallery_223146_6634_202426.jpg

Oh geez, I think they need to fix a few things when I can go and post other people's pics !

How to: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/123814-how-to-add-pictures/page__p__1568179__fromsearch__1#entry1568179

How you do dat?? :rolleyes: I am still a bit challenged by the new format! Thanks for the instructions link! I was copying from the address bar. Kept getting the you cannot use that extension on this forum message or something like that!

He realy did not mind them. His feet were so sore he was limping badly. When we'd stop to rest he would just lay down and ignore them. The funniest part was when he was walking on concrete he'd shuffle like I do when I wear slippers! We got him used to them by putting on one and walking around, then putting on another. It took about 15 minutes and he was good to go!

The first night he would not step off the mat outside the motorhome door. The day of that picture, he was running around like a maniac marking every bush in the desert. In case you are wondering, Butters owns all of Arizona!

I am doing my best with my remaining teeth. When I was a child I was so afraid of the novacaine injections, I'd act like...well, a child! So, one dentist decided I could have a filling without it. That set the stage for me to go many years without seeing anyone. I went from high school graduation until my wisdom teeth needed to come out at 25, and I was forced to see a dentist. He would not do the wisdom teeth extractions without catching up on all the other work first, wise man. Then it was a couple more years....my husband has been instrumental in getting me to take care of them. He was going 4 times a year when we met getting his back in shape. He is down to twice a year now. He enouraged me to take good care of mine and I have been doing pretty well ever since. Otherwise, who knows what condition they'd be in!!

I have bad teeth genetics too. My mom is in her 50's, has always regularly gone to the dentist and kept up with dental work, and is still missing a LOT of her teeth to the point where it is very noticeable both in her speech and in her smile. My only hope is that because she is a major smoker, and I have never smoked, that I will do better in the teeth department at her age.

Still, even though I'm a regular dentist-goer from childhood, I have fillings everywhere and have had two molars need root canals/crowns before the age of 35. What are ya gonna do, but save up for dentures ;) haha!