Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2011 - banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Morning folks! Y'all must have more interesting lives than I do since I'm here every day. :lol:

Today is a test of my willpower. My son asked if I would make some fried chicken (dipped in ranch dressing and then breadcrumbs and fried, then finished off in the oven) as he likes to slice it up and wrap it in a small tortilla. Two chicken breasts lasts him for lunch all week...which is cheaper than his usual method of dropping in at burger king, so how could I say no? Plus I bought a couple turkey legs the other day to make the filling for the tamales my sister and I will be making this weekend. We're having a 'tamalada' and freezing bunches of them. My house will be smelling yummy and very 'Viva la Mexico'...quite funny since we that's one ethnic group we don't have in our family history. My genes may be Scots Irish and Central European, but my taste buds are multi-ethnic! Not that I'm going to get to eat any of the chicken or tamales. :(

I managed my 800 calories yesterday and feel pretty good. I was a bit hungry but then I've been dealing with a bit of hunger even when I was eating 1200 calories. I'm just shutting it up with warm homemade chicken broth and hot Decaf tea and going with the belief that a 'little' hunger is good for the soul...or so my grandmother used to tell me.

Lots to do today and I've promised myself another mid-day nap if I get at least half the things done, so better get moving.

Hope you're all doing well!

Oh and HB...looking good and not at all senior citizen-ish!

No Elfie not busy, just nothing new in my world. Went back to work today--not having a good morning. Get a little queasy sometimes when standing. Still no appetite, so that is good I guess, but I am going to go put something on my stomach. Also I guess I when I move, which I am doing slowly, I get this pulling pain--think I am just hitting scar tissue, but still wondering if I should call the doctor? I only feeling it every now and then.

Oh by the way Melody. I hate your practically starving yourself. I know you are striving for more than a pound, but you are getting smaller and thereby slowing down the rate at which you lose--the closer to your goal, it will get difficult to take off pounds. You were the size I was pafter my pre-op. Your one pound a week is inspiration for me that slow and steady often wins the race.

I don't think I'm going to make 800 calories today. The only way I'm able to do it is to cut the fat out of my diet and ya know...that's what keeps me from being hungry! Guess I'll have to be happy with 1 lb a week. :blink:

Well, the bad news is that at 1 lb per week I still won't be under 200 for my sons wedding on May 15th. The good news is that I'm planning on wearing the same dress I wore at my oldest son's wedding 4 1/2 years ago when I was 40 lbs heavier. The dress *just* fit. Now it should hang beautifully.

Melody

Oh and HB...looking good and not at all senior citizen-ish!

Thanks. The senior discount offer that day just kinda shot my mood. She was just an idiot, but it still works on the mental part.

I posted this on another thread in response to someone, but I know some of you only read this one so thought I'd post it here.

So, this 1 lb a week weight loss has really been bugging me. The math just wasn't clicking for me. If I need 2100 calories to maintain my current weight, then dropping my calories to 1200 and doing Tae Bo should have given me at least a 2 lb loss each week. Then something my husband said a few days ago finally sunk into my brain. The math isn't working because I've been basing it all on the assumption that the calculators were right about needing 2100 calories to maintain my current weight...and it was a wrong assumption! Just as it is a wrong assumption to assume that all women of the same height and age should weigh exactly what the insurance charts say. What a duh moment!

I've always had a slow metabolism and, despite what the 'experts' say about increased activity will increase the metabolism, past history says that it 'might' for some, but that's just not the way it ever worked for me. So I went back through my fitday.com history last night and started averaging out my calories on a weekly and monthly basis for the last 10 months and guess what...my caloric need for my current weight is not 2100...it's more like 1800. :blink:

This explains why I'm only losing 1 lb a month on 1200 calories. It also explains why I've always eaten less than other people with comparable statistics (age, height, weight) and gain, while they don't. So the answer to my mystery is solved, I think.

Now I think I'll go drown my sorrows in my morning Protein Shake.< /p>

I posted this on another thread in response to someone, but I know some of you only read this one so thought I'd post it here.

So, this 1 lb a week weight loss has really been bugging me. The math just wasn't clicking for me. If I need 2100 calories to maintain my current weight, then dropping my calories to 1200 and doing Tae Bo should have given me at least a 2 lb loss each week. Then something my husband said a few days ago finally sunk into my brain. The math isn't working because I've been basing it all on the assumption that the calculators were right about needing 2100 calories to maintain my current weight...and it was a wrong assumption! Just as it is a wrong assumption to assume that all women of the same height and age should weigh exactly what the insurance charts say. What a duh moment!

I've always had a slow metabolism and, despite what the 'experts' say about increased activity will increase the metabolism, past history says that it 'might' for some, but that's just not the way it ever worked for me. So I went back through my fitday.com history last night and started averaging out my calories on a weekly and monthly basis for the last 10 months and guess what...my caloric need for my current weight is not 2100...it's more like 1800. :blink:

This explains why I'm only losing 1 lb a month on 1200 calories. It also explains why I've always eaten less than other people with comparable statistics (age, height, weight) and gain, while they don't. So the answer to my mystery is solved, I think.

Now I think I'll go drown my sorrows in my morning Protein Shake.< /p>

Hugs to you. permission granted to make shake a cocktail:)

I'm scheduled for a fill next Tuesday. I'm about ready to slap Hilda silly. For the last couple of weeks, every time I think I should go in for a tweak fill, Hilda tightens up on me. Then Tuesday (the only day they do fills) passes and Hilda loosens up and the hunger returns. Well I'm going to fix her sorry ass and get my fill anyway because I'm about ready to chew my arm off. I normally only eat 1/2 cup of vegies with dinner and last night I ate 1 1/2 cups! I guess that's better than a huge scoop of mashed potatoes. :blink:

On the home front, my son is leaving Afghanistan on Saturday. He was supposed to be there until October but he has something wrong with his knee and they're sending him to Walter Reed for testing. On the one hand, I'm glad he'll be out of Afghanistan, but on the other, this has the potential to ruin his military career. Am I a bad mother because there's a part of me that would be happy about that because it means he'd never have to go back to Afghanistan...even though the career is what makes my son happy? :(

Time to get some things done around here. Hope you all are doing well. I know Christie is cuz she's on a cruise!! I'd be jealous about that except I couldn't haul enough dramamine on in my suitcases. :P

Have a good one!

It's a good morning because it's the start of my usual 3 day weekend. The joys of being self-employed. So why am I up at 7 a.m. when I spent a restless night? Of course my husband would be quick to interject that every night is a restless night for me. :blink:

Today's plan is to just relax and veg. I have a few personal things I want to clear up but I'm going to take the day as it comes. How's that for motivation?

Have a good one!

Morning all!

Today is my day off too and I was going to sleep in. The last few weeks have been so crazy at work I now have a killer headache. It's so bad it woke me up.

I know it is much worse than liquid tylenol will help so I crushed 2 aleve and then disolved them in a bit of warm Water. I hope they kick in soon. I'm tired and I wanted to sleep in darn it. Oh well, maybe a nap later.

good news! My little NSAID coctail worked! I know NSAIDS are bad, but it is really the only thing that works when the headache is so bad it makes me feel sick and I don't do it very often. Now I can have a "normal" day.

Curious - does anyone know what happened to BetsyB? She was SUCH a frequent poster on here when I first came on...can't believe she's gone now!

I have a doctor's appt. on Monday for a fill (scheduled at last fill appt.). I didn't think I would need one, but the last few weeks I have noticed that I can eat more than a cup of food. I still can get stuck if I'm not careful, gurgle a lot when drinking or eating anything but I am getting pretty hungry between meals. I'm trying to use the hunger and quantity of food im able to eat as a guide vs. all the gurgling I do and the fact that I am able to "get stuck" if Im not careful. What do you think??? Does it sound like a small fill is in order? My doc also recently started a new program where he is prescribing phentermine to his banded (and non-banded) patients. Administered under controlled circumstances and bp, heart, etc. is monitored. Hmmm....I know that stuff works pretty good and is so immediate to kill any appetite I have. I am tempted to try it cuz I feel like used in connection with the band it would be fantastic! Obviously my doc must think so too? Does anyone else's surgeon offer this as another tool to use for weightloss??? His practice is one of the top in the region by the way, he definitely not some fly by night kinda surgeon trying to make a quick buck. Curious as to your thoughts!

If you're hungry, it sounds like you need a fill but maybe smaller bites?

I don't know anything about phentermine but if it eliminates hunger, I can see why someone would use it before the band kicked in. Afterwards, it shouldn't be necessary, no?

HB...glad to hear you're feeling better. There is nothing that can ruin a day faster than a headache that just won't go away...particularly when it's your day off!