Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared I'm Not Eating Right

Ok I stopped losing weight so my doctor tightened my band 5cc. It was way too tight and I couldn't even keep liquids down so after a week (when i lost 10lb) he took out 3cc. Then I started losing at a good pace but I am still throwing up all the time. I mean all the time! I have been throwing up so long I don't even try to eat diet food because nothing stays down so I try to be happy with whatever food goes down well. Unfortunately some of the things that go down the best are cold and sweet or junk food with lots of fats. I have tried to stay on straight Protein like I am supposed to but meat almost never goes down well. Any kind of meat! It doesn't matter what kind it is. It has to have lots of fat to make it soft enough to stay down. ......Anyhow, when I went in for my next checkup I told the doctor that I still was throwing up all the time and he unfilled my band back to where it was when I wasn't losing weight. Surprise, surprise I have stopped losing weight and even increased 5lb's. I'm worried it will keep increasing and that even worse once I'm done losing I will be used to eating things that will just shoot it back up again....Any guidance would be helpful. What is everyone eating daily? and how much? I never know how much I really keep down because I vomit so much. :(

How small are you cutting up your Protein? My doctor recommends each piece is the size of a black bean. Now you can eat 3 of these in one bite however each piece should be no larger than a black bean.

Ok I stopped losing weight so my doctor tightened my band 5cc. It was way too tight and I couldn't even keep liquids down so after a week (when i lost 10lb) he took out 3cc. Then I started losing at a good pace but I am still throwing up all the time. I mean all the time! I have been throwing up so long I don't even try to eat diet food because nothing stays down so I try to be happy with whatever food goes down well. Unfortunately some of the things that go down the best are cold and sweet or junk food with lots of fats. I have tried to stay on straight protein like I am supposed to but meat almost never goes down well. Any kind of meat! It doesn't matter what kind it is. It has to have lots of fat to make it soft enough to stay down. ......Anyhow, when I went in for my next checkup I told the doctor that I still was throwing up all the time and he unfilled my band back to where it was when I wasn't losing weight. Surprise, surprise I have stopped losing weight and even increased 5lb's. I'm worried it will keep increasing and that even worse once I'm done losing I will be used to eating things that will just shoot it back up again....Any guidance would be helpful. What is everyone eating daily? and how much? I never know how much I really keep down because I vomit so much. :(

That might be a problem. I've never heard that before but the smallest bite is probably at least double bean sized.

Some docs recommend nothing larger than the size of a pencil eraser. I have been working to take small bites and to chew at least 20 to 25 times. When I do that, I am fine. When I do not do that... look out...

I have to agree with the other posters. How long are you chewing each bite? Are you taking small bites? At my support group meeting, they recommended using a baby sized fork and spoon to ensure that each bite is small enough. If you are able, maybe make an appointment with your dietician as well. I met with my dietician today and she cleared up a lot of issues for me.

Best of luck :-) Hang in there!

My NUT says each bite should be no larger than a dime. (Funny how each surgeon team has different recommendations.)

Dave

tika, It really sounds to me like your fills and unfills are in too large amounts. You go from not tight enough to so tight you vomit, then way back to not tight enough. When you start getting close to the green zone or sweet spot the fills/unfills should be very small, like .5 cc or .25cc. Of course take small bites and chew well, but it really sounds like you are ending up far to one side or the other of your sweet spot.