Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

Yea, said 72 hours for me too. I did one the next day.. but carefully and I covered in saran warp lol not sure it helped much, but I was so sore I wanted the hot Water and I'm sure I was pretty smelly! Then I took a full one the day after that. My strips looked fine

Is anyone out there not losing weight? I'm post op day 4 and I'm liquids only and I haven't lost a pound. During the pre-op diet, I lost 20 pounds but right now I'm stuck! I wouldn't mind so much but I would like the scale to move a little bit since I'm going through all this pain and gas stuff! The only thing I'm eating is Clear Liquids, Isopure, Protein Shakes and some brothy Soups. Any ideas?

I actually came home from the hospital a pound heavier than when I went in, I'm guessing it was Water weight. I'm down 5lbs since last Tuesday (surgery day) I lost 12 lbs post op. I would think it would move faster but hey I'm down 17 lbs in less than 3 weeks. Its also that time for me so I always gain a pound or two of water. I was hoping to be down 13 lbs (25 total) by my first fill in 5ish weeks, I think I will make it.

Can I just say how jealous of you guys I am? I'm referring to the people who are a week or so post-op, and who are already getting back onto soft foods, or even onto solid foods.

Post-op, my surgeon requires three WEEKS of clear liquids and Protein Shakes, (no fun additives like pudding or Jello), followed by three MORE weeks of pureed/soft foods, before going onto solids again. (Today is Day 14 for me and I am *SO* tired of the liquid diet.) It'll be six weeks post-op before I get back to solids. My first fill also happens at that same six week mark.

So many ways to handle the diet for this band...

Dave

Is anyone out there not losing weight? I'm post op day 4 and I'm liquids only and I haven't lost a pound. During the pre-op diet, I lost 20 pounds but right now I'm stuck! I wouldn't mind so much but I would like the scale to move a little bit since I'm going through all this pain and gas stuff! The only thing I'm eating is clear liquids, Isopure, Protein Shakes and some brothy Soups. Any ideas?

Hey, don't get discouraged! You have so much Fluid retention from surgery (tissue trauma and IV fluids) that some people GAIN several lbs. As you get more active and the swelling goes down, you will be back on track!

Garden Gal

I was allowed to shower the day after surgery. Just before I went home from the hospital. I was allowed to wash my hair too. My steri strips are all off and the one stitch I had is out. I think the stitch was for my gall bladder, although I have no idea really. I'm not even sure where my port is, as I have 2 incisions that feel tender and can feel something under both of them blink.gif Maybe ones scar tissue? I'm healing well and can recommend Tea Tree oil to heal the wounds. Tea Tree oil is fantastic and also kills any bacteria on the skin. It also gets rid of the sticky marks from any plaster that you may have.

Pamalamadingdong- I know what you mean about gaining during "that time of the month". I think I will stay away from the scales for the next week so I don't get discouraged.

Does anyone know when we can go swimming? We are going for a short break next week to the beach and there is also a very inviting pool there. I will check with my Dr. but wanted to hear what you have been told.

Does anyone else have a hard time chewchewchewing your food? My doctor encourages me to chew 30 times and I have to admit, I get a little sick to my stomach chewing that much. I don't like the texture! I am sure I will get used to it, but it's such a weird feeling.

I am finally starting to feel better! I was sore for a few days, but I have a twisty nine month old that I'm still breastfeeding so I definitely had more contact with my incision/port area than most. I can't believe tomorrow will be officially two weeks! I am eating scrambled eggs, but mostly sticking to my pureed Soups and juices/smoothies. I am completely off the Protein Shakes, but making sure I get an adequate amount of Protein. I am looking forward to my first oatmeal tomorrow.

I am honestly a little disturbed at how many banders tend to go to an Atkins-style diet. From what I understand, that's a pretty unhealthy diet and I wouldn't want to trade one unhealthy lifestyle for another. I definitely don't begrudge anyone eating animal products as I will definitely be including fish and some dairy in my food choices, but is anyone else hesitant about the amount of animal products bandsters seem to eat?

Anyways, good luck to everyone!

I'm 4 days post op and gained 11 pounds on surgery day. I was on clear liquids and just added Protein Shakes. I'm finally down to my preop weight. It is frustrating. I want to lose something! I'm feeling pretty good overall, except for the bloating. I'm just waiting for the scale to start moving!!

I stopped weighing myself. I'm scared haha, Maybe I'll wait till the new year.

Dave; I'm sorry :( that is long! I thought my week of liquids before and after was a lot!

Chasing3310: I'm not a big meat eater anyways, so I will likely not eat much more than fish and some chicken. I agree with you though, the Atkins type diets are not for me.

Also, I'm 4 days post op and my belly is gurgling like crazy. I don't feel hungry at all. Could this be gas? It's really loud at times, my husband just asked me if I needed a Protein shake! Lol!

Chasing3310: I'm not a big meat eater anyways, so I will likely not eat much more than fish and some chicken. I agree with you though, the Atkins type diets are not for me.

Also, I'm 4 days post op and my belly is gurgling like crazy. I don't feel hungry at all. Could this be gas? It's really loud at times, my husband just asked me if I needed a Protein shake! Lol!

Hey Disneymom,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is experiencing stomach gurgling!! Mine is so loud, it's embarrassing. I have NO pain with it, it's just loud! Nothing I do seems to stop it, although I think it is getting less and less. I go back to work tomorrow, this should be interesting!

~Stephanie

We should be drinking a minimum of 64oz of water/liquids per day. That includes Water, juices, broths/soups, milk, teas and so on. Thts just to stay hydrated! Everyone including people who are not banded need this amount per day! 8 8oz glasses of water per day! Our bodies need this to flush out toxins and excess junk our bodies don't use and because our bodies are made up of 70% water and need it for normal every day function. For every 15min you sweat working out add a half a cup of water! Fun!! ;o)

I gained six pounds after surgery! It sheds off in the first two weeks, so don't worry! My port gurgled in the beginning, too. That also went away after a week. It was definitely awkward, though.

Today is my 2 week post-op anniversary and I'm down 10 pounds total since surgery date. I'm totally enthused! In fact, I'm about to get on my Gazelle. :) I make different types of bean Soup and freeze them (about a cup and a half a bag), then just defrost, puree, and enjoy. They taste GREAT and Beans are super for Protein. You can also get a good amount of vegetables in those Soups, so that you're meeting your veggie requirement for the day. I find they have been my staple..I have soup at least once a day, sometimes twice. I respect doctors who advise their patients to stay on the liquid diet for so long, but I think energy (dense calories) is the most important, especially for those who have family obligations. I am glad my doctor was flexible with me.

today is 1 week post op !!! I have lost 8 lbs and 6 inches. I am starving... i cant stand all clear liquids anymore.......i cant wait to start puree diet!! i go wed this week to the dr and then I can start thursday..I am 95% back tomyself except headaches...anyone else getting them ? I think it is lack of food .....

thanks amy

I was banded 12/15. Felt great and was discharge 12/16. I did have a hiatal hernia repair as well. Pain is mostly gone. Woke this morning completely on my side with no pain. YES!!! I'm having problems with intake. I'm supposed to have a protien shake a day (though they did say it would take forever to get it all down) 4 meals (60 cc or 2 ounces each of thick liquids, blended Soups, etc.) and 64 oz of half water/ half juice at 30 cc (1 oz) every 20 minutes. My problem is that anything going in no matter how slowly causes major bloating and discomfort. I'm getting about 1-1.5 oz per hour of Water. about 2 meals a day and about 2 oz of Protein Drink. After every intake I have to walk/pace for 30-45 minutes. If I sit down too soon I get nausea and pain- I guess from my lower gut//fat roll pushing up on my stomach. And I'm starving..just can't get anything down. This was worse than the hernia. Anybody else in a similar situation?

So weiiiird. I left the hospital on pureed foods (I only stayed the night because I had a later surgery time).blink.gif

I feel bad for you guys on liquids that long after surgery. sad.gif I'm hungry now and I'm eating stuff with substance!!! I do only need a little bit to satiate me though, so that's good.

For those concerned with weight gain while in the hospital, I gained too....this Wednesday will be 2 weeks and as of this morning I've lost 10lbs since surgery. Your body will swing back once all the fluids they pumped into you goes away.