Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Volcano was the Perfect excuse

The Volcano was the perfect excuse

Living in Indonesia is a wonderful experience and a fantastic lifestyle can be had. The people are so caring, loving and supportive – but mostly cannot understand what it is like to be fat.

When I am complaining about my weight they always say kind things like – Your health is more important than how you look.

But if you are obese you know differently. Especially when living amongst people who hardly never get over 60 kg (130 lbs). The kids at the supermarket show the truth when they point at the fat white man and giggle behind their hands. Parents tugging them away politely but you know what is going through their minds

I had been thinking of lap band surgery for around a year – but decided to give diet and exercise another try before admitting my failures. Well it did not work. Even with a Personal Trainer on my side.

My loving partner and I travelled to Jakarta on 18 October to see the Bariatric Surgeon recommended by my Doctor in Yogyakarta. He was Dr Barlian Sutedja, the eminent Chief Surgeon and Director General of the Gading Pluit Hospital, Lap band pioneer in Indonesia trained by Australia’s foremost lap band surgeon Dr O’Brien.

Speaking perfect English, educated in Germany and with a wonderful and understanding manner I felt comfortable with him the moment we met. My partner also felt the same when asking him questions in Bahasa Indonesia

I decided on having the operation and Dr Barlian advised it could be done almost immediately but that I would have to commence a pre-op diet for at least a week prior to surgery to shrink my liver. We decided on surgery date of 10 November at 4pm

That gave me almost a month to prepare – so I did what any normal person would do – I went on holidays to my villa on the island of Lombok for a week to prepare myself mentally for the days ahead. Swimming daily and eating sensibly I was fresh and relaxed by the time I returned home only to be confronted with the eruptions of Mt Merapi and the evacuations of 250,000 people

My house was a mess from Volcanic ash despite hourly cleaning from my wonderful housekeeper and cook. We were 22 kilometers from the volcano crater – and the exclusion zone was then set at 15 kilometers

Two days later the zone was increased to 20 kilometers and we started to get worried the nite that it rained small rocks. We had decided to get out and close the house. My staff were told to go somewhere safe and stay there until I advised them to come back.

My partner (the only person besides me that was aware of my decision to have surgery) was seconded to go to Nepal for a UN Habitat conference so I knew that he was safe for now unless he fell off a mountain there.

The Volcano was the perfect excuse to leave without causing concern from my friends

The airport was closed. Trains booked out and most buses full with 250.000 refugees trying to leave all at once.

But in most Asian countries – money talks and my PA was able to obtain 2 first class tickets to Jakarta on the train – 8 hours travel where the plane would normally take 50 minutes. I was happy to have them. I told my PA why we were going and his smile told the whole story – he was so happy that I was finally going to do something about my weight and that he was to get a free holiday in the BIG CITY (also something about could I pay for his family to come meet me while I was in hospital was also mentioned as an afterthought)

I won’t bore you to death with the train trip – but needless to say we arrived OK and I checked into the hospital that same morning and was introduced to Dr Barlian’s team of 2 Internists, a Resident Doctor, 2 Dieticians, a Psychologist, Anesthetist and the nursing staff.

Were these all for me I asked jokingly? “Yes !” was the reply from a straight faced Intern. “Your health and comfort is our only priority” I was impressed.

I had asked to go into a semi-VIP ward where there were only 4 beds. The Doctors were hesitant and wanted to insist on a VIP room where I had my own privacy but as I was only there for a few days I did not see the need to be apart from the general public. Besides recovery would be faster if I had others around me.

I had to undergo a endoscopy that afternoon – and the scary news was that a polyp was found and surger y was delayed a day until lab results could be received to determine if the polyp was benign or malignant. This would normally take 3 days but Dr B insisted on next day delivery.

The results came the next afternoon and it was determined the operation could proceed. I was prepped immediately and was wheeled into the operating room that evening at 6pm

The surgery took a little longer than expected and I was back in my ward at 1am next morning with no complications

I was expected to stay in hospital for several days whilst evaluations were conducted to see if the flow thru was OK and that there was no leakages. I was discharged the following Saturday morning and stayed in Jakarta for a few extra days while my PA tried to find a plane to the nearest open airport to Yogyakarta

It is now 2 weeks since my banding and I have lost over 7 kgs (16 lbs) at the rate of around 1lb per day

I will update later as I progress towards my first fill

I am excited and alive again

Welcome to band-land.....

Very interesting story, it is always fun to hear from people in other countries!:D

Loved your story. So interesting, you have a great talent for words. You were very lucky to be able to afford to get away from the volcano. It was indeed perfect timing for you. Best of luck on your journey. It sounds as if you are well on your way. Congratulations to your new life!! Karen (kll724)