Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dental Work??

<p>I went and had my teeth cleaned today. The dentist made me take 2,000mg of Amoxicillin as a precaution before they would start cleaning my teeth because I am banded. Anyone else hear of this?</p>

I made the remark some weeks ago that my surgeon had told me I would have to take antibiotics for dental work, and I got ganged up on...so I gave up the subject gracefully. People were all saying it isn't true...I get dental work all the time and my dr. didn't say anything.......WELL my surgeon specifically informed me that once I am banded I will be taking antibiotics everytime I visit the dentist. If I recall I got ganged up on by several on here, one of whom I remember specifically (because we agree on very little...from the band and port are a foreign object to taking antibiotics before dental work) I certainly hope your post will set them straight. You can get endocarditis from having dental work done without antibiotics because of the port mostly.

Thank you for being kind enough to clear this one up, and YES I have most definitely been told about it.

What's to lambast about it? Some doctors think it's absolutely crucial, others don't mention it at all. We are not medical professionals and all we can say is what our doctors told us. (Mine is of the "didn't mention it" school.)

OK guys, comming from a dental professionals point of view, here is the rational for ab therapy...

any time you have a foreign object placed in your body it is the most likely place to get an infectin. your mouth is the biggest incubator for bacteria you have ever seen. When you have your teeth cleaned the bacteria is stirred up and is introduced into your blood stream, and can "rest" around your port or the band its self. Not all Dentists are concerned abut this happening because the statics for anything happening, and this includes artificial joints, is so low. And then there are some dentists who are a LOT over the top and will not even touch you if you have had any surg in the last 6 months. Imho if your DDS is like that, ask your surg and go by HIS recommendatins, take a letter to your DDS so they can still see you.

This has nothing to do with endocarditis which is a condition which arises from a heart murmur due to a leaky heart valve, most people do not even know they have it unless your MD tells you. It is called Mitral Valve Prolapse, MVP, and NEVER go to a dental appointment without taking your antibiotic, This condition can cause death while implants, including your band, will just fail if you get an infection. and require more surg or other treatment.

As far as someone lambasting you about this subject, maybe they are not very educated about the dangers of dental work on medically compromised patients. Just make sure you listen to YOUR doctors and do what they say and all will be good!!

I can't put my hands on it right now, but I remember reading somewhere in the info I received from my band surgeon that bandsters do have to take antibiotics for dental work. I'm concerned about that because I'm allergic to a lot of antibiotics...

Emily

Carrie, MsJoy here, I have worked in a Dental office now going on 4 years. The reason for the antibiotics is to make sure an infection does not occur, possibly causing the foreign object that is in your body now to be rejected. Having your teeth cleaned is a very invasive process. They are scraping many bacteria off of your teeth, with the antibiotics on board, you should be fine from any infections.

Gentle, Do not worry about being allergic, If there is ANy antibiotic that you can take it will usually work. I am allergic to penicilin and have to take clindamycin, which is of course more expensive...Just my luck!!

Msjoy, wht do you do in the dental office??

I have been an assistant and office manager for 22 years now and still love it as much today as I did when I went to school!!

your mouth is the biggest incubator for bacteria you have ever seen. When you have your teeth cleaned the bacteria is stirred up and is introduced into your blood stream, and can "rest" around your port or the band its self.

That's exactly what they told me. :)

I didn't remember reading it on this forum and figured if it was common practice that someone would have mentioned it. My dentist's office wasn't real familiar with the procedure, but once they found out my port was similiar if not the same as a chemo port used in cancer patients they informed the doctor and I was given oral antibiotics.

Thanks everyone!

A leaky heart valve is certainly a good source with which to contract endocarditis but it is NOT the only way. A diabetic is at a very increased rate of developing it also. Men are more likely to develop it then men. Vets and people who work around animals have a higher instance of endocarditis. This is not just limited to people with Mitral Valve Prolapse, Tricuspic valve leaks or anyother underlying heart murmurs. You only have to google this to find out there are many people that are vulnerable to endocarditis. As a retired nurse I know from experience that diabetics are very prone to getting endocarditis when getting their teeth cleaned especially. Lets get the word out there and get it out there right. A lot of people are definitely at risk, so why take chances????

Thank everyone, My DH has to take anitbiotics because fo MVP, I didnt even think to ask my Dr. or my dentest for my sake, I so appreciate the info.

dody, I hate to disagree with you about this, you are confusing 2 different issues in your posts, you cannot get endocarditis after being banded and not taking antibiotics. Endocarditis is a heart condition while what we, as dental professionals, are concerned with when it comes to implants, ie your band, is an infection around it causing possible rejection and more surg.

You are ABSOULTLY correct that if you do have any leaky valvs in your heart you MUST take meds prior to having dental treatment

I hope this clears up any confusion all may have about taking antibiotics prior to dental treatment.

You will not get a heart conditin from not taking it after having your band placed, you COULD get an infection around your port or band and why take the chance when all you have to so to prevent this is take 4 tablets 1 hour before seeing your dentist.

This sounds like a very sensible precaution to take. But I'm wondering how one gets antibiotics for just this purpose? I don't have them lying around the house, of course, and when we get a scrip for it we're told to finish it all off. Would I have to get a prescription for four tablets, every six months? Or would I just buy a supply and take them twice a year as long as they last? Don't drugs expire after a while?

Hope I'm not being dumb--there isn't any such thing as an OTC antibiotic, right?

Your dentist is the one that would pre-medicate you when indicated. He or she could write the prescription for the appropriate amount prior to your visit. My surgeons never mentioned this necessity but I will certainly ask.