Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post-op and NO RESTRICTION!!!

I'm now little over 3 weeks post op. At this time I feel ABSOLUTELY no restriction. I think i can eat pretty close to pre-op portions. I haven't been very good either. Being able to have food that one can chew and has a crunch has made me go off track. haven't gained any weight at this time, but haven't lost any in the last week or so. Only feel restricted if i eat food that is very dry. The surgeon said that the band is "one-size" and is probably very big for me until it gets filled. i don't get filled until Dec 16th. From the more experienced folks... how did you manage this stage. I know will power must have something to do with it but its hard to find when i feel like I've been "deprived" for almost a month. These are of course sabotaging thoughts, but i have succumbed to them.

Thanks,

- J

I'm now little over 3 weeks post op. At this time I feel ABSOLUTELY no restriction. I think i can eat pretty close to pre-op portions. I haven't been very good either. Being able to have food that one can chew and has a crunch has made me go off track. haven't gained any weight at this time, but haven't lost any in the last week or so. Only feel restricted if i eat food that is very dry. The surgeon said that the band is "one-size" and is probably very big for me until it gets filled. i don't get filled until Dec 16th. From the more experienced folks... how did you manage this stage. I know will power must have something to do with it but its hard to find when i feel like I've been "deprived" for almost a month. These are of course sabotaging thoughts, but i have succumbed to them.

Thanks,

- J

I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and have already had my first fill a week ago. I also had very little restriction. I found that I got full quickly, but always felt that I could eat more if I wanted to. I controlled my portions by writing everything down and keeping track of my calories and my Protein intake. The more Protein I could get in the better. I am now in the habit of using at least one protein shot a day (3.4 ozs with 26 grams of protein). Since my fill last week I haven't notice any greater restriction. I can pretty much eat anything so I am using the journaling to keep me focused. I have another appt. next week and my doctor said he thinks he will give me another 2 CCs at that time so I am hoping for more restriction. I am losing but very slowly.

Hi there.

I'm 4 weeks post-op and have no restriction either. My first fill is this Monday! YaY! My advise to you is "act as if ..."

Beginning two week before my surgery and to this very day, I have not eaten over 800 calories in a day. Normally, I could not manage this, but knowing that the day will come that I will be able to do this and not be hungry gives me the will power to push past it. What i have been doing is eating a TON of veggies. Right now, I have a 4 oz chicken patty in front of me with over a cup of green Beans. While i am aware green Beans may not be so easy to eat after my first fill, when I eat, I "act a if" and am cutting my food into tiny pieces and chewing each bite 20-30 times, waiting 20 seconds to my next bite. If you do this, meals last a LONG time and for me, it makes it easier to stop if I have been eating for 40 minutes.

OK, the flip side ... let's take the worst case scenerio ... what if your will power is not up for that ... what if you find yourself snacking and eating too much ... if you put it in perspective, what is one more month of the rest of your life? In the not too far future, you WILL have a fill, and you WILL have restriction. Don't beat yourself up. Do what works for you and know you already have begun this journey ... you took a huge step and had surgery!

Good luck!

Randi in Cali

Oh, and yes, journaling EVERY bite is key for me. Keeps me focused.

Thank you both Deb and RandomRan for your thoughtful replies. I will begin the journal today, i think it will help. The problem i had with the Protein shakes right from pre-op until about a couple of days ago, is that they gave me pretty bad gout. I have never had gout for more than 2-3 days at a time and this episode lasted more than 3 weeks. The 2 major changes were that i was losing weight quickly and that i was drinking Protein Shakes.

Natural Proteins seem to be better. I will also take up your suggestions for adding veges. i do like veggies and have been eating them, but they can be low cal and filling.

Thanks again

- J

I am 10 months post-op and have just now (five days ago) gotten restriction after 7 fills, and a total of 7.5 ccs in my 10 cc band. You are going to be frustrated, you are going to get tired of being patient, you are going to struggle. And then you'll get there -- but be careful what you wish for, because it's a big adjustment, and it's an absolute loss of our comfortable, easy way of eating.

I am 22 days post op and I to have little to no restriction. I can eat just about anything. My first fill is on Dec 14th so I am not sure I can make it until then lol.

My nurse said that it was normal to feel hungry because out of the 14cc band there may be only 2-5'cc in it. She also said feeling hungry is a sign that the swelling in my stomach is almost gone which is a good thing.

Truthfully I am trying my best to stick to the mushy diet as long as I can but it is just not working for me because it is taking so much to fill me up. I have cheated and had a few things but I was very up front about it when I went for my post op checkup and I got yelled at mind you lol

I am just looking forward to when I can eat 1/2 cup of food and be full

Oh yeah my band is 14cc's