Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week away and extreme anxiety

I will be banded Nov 19. I'm so nervous and frightened. I have all the normal fears. I've tried to stop reading this forum because it causes me to have very bad dreams.

Just tell me that you all went thru this awful anxiety. It makes me cry. I have a lot of family/friend support, but I don't think they truly understand.

My biggest fear is that I will have complications and regret my decision.

I so want it to be this time next year when I'm past all this and maybe down 75lb and look back and think how foolish I was to be so afraid.

oh no, you've got to be positive, everything will be fine....yes i think most of us felt that same nervousness and anxiety, but then you feel this complete happiness and proud of taking the correct decision....you will love it!!! goodluck:thumbup:

I am 45 day since surgery. You sound just liked me before surgery. It started really bad about 2 weeks before surgery and I to tried to stay away from this fourm. The harder I tried the more time I spend reading and the more anxiety.

Surgery day came, I was a tiny bit sore (never needed anything for pain), after 2 days I started to feel a little hungery, Week 3 was the hardest as I was really hungery. One month out got my first fill again no pain.

The best part was yesterday after spending all day cleaning out 8 years of junk in the basement I realized that it was 8 pm and all I had was Water all day.

I love my band - SHOULD HAVE DONE IT YEARS AGO!

Laura, thx for ur reply. I am working hard at focusing on the positives. I know this is the right decision and I trust my doctor very much.

Omg I was totally anxious as well. I was SURE I was going to be one of those people that would be half awake during surgery but paralyzed from the anesthesia so I wouldn't be able to scream, or I thought they were going to try and insert the breathing tube while I was still conscious and I was sure that the needle for anesthesia was going to hurt more than anything I've ever felt (and actually I barely felt it go in lol). So you're totally not alone. But for me, it was a very easy surgery and im sure it will be for you too And to be honest, it was kind of fun having everyone pamper me for awhile after the surgery :) make sure you let people take care of you afterward! You'll do great!

Its normal to doubt all our decisions, you are in this for all the right reasons. Your health your future

Huge HUGS! First of all.

Second of all let me tell you a story. I decided to go in for surgery and really thought hard and long about it. I explored other options and this was the best choice for me. The closer I got the more I got a little concerned with the what ifs.... However a wise person once told me, "if we lived our lives in fear of the what ifs, we would never have children, we would never get married or even be in relationships because what if...."

So I told myself to calm my fears. I was good up until they rolled me into the "holding tank". They had given me benadryl because I had a rash and I started to feel really loopy. I totally freaked out, as they entered the operating room I told them I changed my mind. The anesthiasologist said, "you have to be committed to the process and I said, "I am but I am not committed to going under Anesthiasa?" "You have to promise me this is what you want," he says and I say to him, "You need to promise me you will wake me up." With that I drifted off, relaxed and okay with the fact that I made it through.

I got out of surgery at 10:30 and didn't get pain meds until 8:30pm that evening, then every six hours after that. I got up and walked a lot. Honestly, the surgery and recovery has been pretty easy, what has been the most difficult is the mind.

I am on liquids and trying to not take a bite of food here and there. It is a challenge to get throught he post op diet, but once through that emotional hurdle, it gets easier. This is an emotional ride, hang on and know that you are doing what is best for you and the future you.

You have to be committed to change, lots of change, physical, emotional but in the end it is wonderful.

Hey everyone: I am just as nervous...My surgery is scheduled for 11/30 and i have extreme anxiety...biggest fear of the anesthesia as well...and just hoping to wake up from the surgery....lol....its scary that they throw that 1% out at you, but you think about it...i know its mind over matter...but everything will be ok...i think the fear is "the unknown" mostly...and the what ifs...and as one of the other banders said, if we worried about the what ifs, we would never do anything like have children or get married...i am also a bit nervous because i can't have the single incision, so for me it is going to be the 5 incisions...i have a slight bleeding disorder and that makes me even more nervous....

but we are here for each other, and need the support....i can't wait for after the surgery and just to be done with it and move forward with a NEW LIFE....that is what I invision...the NEW ME.....so the bad is outwieghed from the GOOD....and can't wait to wear a pair of jeans and actually smile about the outfit that i am wearing and being confident...i hate the fact of pulling the shirts down over my ass, and wearing bigger shirts so that it hides my hips and ass too,...lol...i can't wait...but i am still nervous...i won't deny it, but will get over it....

please keep in touch everyone! xo

HELLO EVERYONE MY DATE IS THE 29TH JUST TRYING TO GET PREPARED STILL HAVE MY CLEARANCE TO DO BUT ALL IS WELL SO EXCITED AND NERVOUS, AT THE SAME TIME, THIS FORUM IS SUCH A GOOD SUPPORT AND HELP, I WISH ALL THE BEST!!!!:)

Hi, calicoskiesNC

My surgery date also on Nov.19,2010.. I feel the same way as u do... but at the end it will be find.. PLUS think of how skinny and hot we going to be.:) Thats what i think about.lol I am going to be skinny, hot, and sexy. :crying: yea baby!!!!

My surgery is Tues, I'm very excited and scared at the same time. I have really bad asthma and when I had food surgery in May I stoped breathing as soon as they took out the breathing tube, but I told my surgeon that and he assured me that they would pay exta attention to that plus I wont be under as long. I just keep thiking how good were all goimng to look this time next year!!! Good Luck all Nov. Banners. :)

Hey all, my surgery is 11-22 and i have been having the same fears. i was a recovery room nurse for several years and of course, i think of all the complications that could happen. it's good to know that there are others with the same concerns.

Okay I can finally breathe!!! Because now I know that all I am feeling is "normal", I don't want to go into freak out mode...but this is all I can think about and talk about...my life before banding and then the unknown....BUT!!! I am not alone...we are all in on this ride together, Thank GOD for this forum...please promise to keep in touch...this is my life line...and no one could possibly understand more than the lovely people here...thank you!

I will be banded Nov 19. I'm so nervous and frightened. I have all the normal fears. I've tried to stop reading this forum because it causes me to have very bad dreams.

Just tell me that you all went thru this awful anxiety. It makes me cry. I have a lot of family/friend support, but I don't think they truly understand.

My biggest fear is that I will have complications and regret my decision.

I so want it to be this time next year when I'm past all this and maybe down 75lb and look back and think how foolish I was to be so afraid.

I felt the same way. You must remember, unless your family and friends have had the procedure done, they cannot really understand. This procedure gives you hope for a better you. If you are like the rest of us, you have tried and failed diets. My band is not the "magic bullet" but it gives me both confidence and resstriction and I am so happy that I had it done. Always look to the future, knowing that if you work hard and learn to understand the purpose of your band, and how it is suppose to work, you will be fine. The hardest part for me was the wait until surgery. Before you know it this anxiety will be over. I will not lie to you and say that the process was so easy...I had a few bumps in the road but I can promise you that it has been totally worth it! I will be praying for you from now until the 19th. Be strong and of good cheer!