Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be doing this? Mexico and Dr. Zapata

Same old tired story, I've been fat my whole life. I've gone up, I've gone down, I've gone up, I've gone down. I'm getting tired of it and want to change my life but feel that I need physical help to do so.

I'm currently at a BMI of 32 so my insurance won't do anything to help me with a surgery. I'm considering Dr. Miguel A. Zapata in Meixco (through a company called Ready4Achange.com which I don't really know too much about..)

I just got done reading a long "LAP-BAND® horror story" thread on these forums and am having second thoughts. All of my friends are telling me that I shouldn't be doing this, but I feel stuck, fat, and annoyed.

Could someone help me, and perhaps just talk to me about this stuff before I make a decision? Is it crazy to get this done in Mexico? I live in Denver, Colorado and already discovered that they have a fill station here that will accept me as a post-op from Mexico.

I've done a lot of research, just looking for some conversation and opinions now. IS IT WORTH IT? I know it differs greatly per person, but I'm starting to feel like a LAP-BAND® is my last option to ever have a normal-weight life. :frown:

My BMI was on the low side when I went for a lapband too. I just couldn't do it by myself. I didn't go to mexico, I was self-pay here in Ohio, but I know of people who have gone and haven't had any trouble. Make sure they use one of the modern bands, not the old 4cc bands. Also check on the fees they might hit you with in Denver so you aren't surprised later. Around here they charge huge transfer fees (around $1000) and then more per fill (around $250) just because the surgery was done in Mexico.

As for doing it at all, only you can decide. You know yourself and what you have been through and whether or not you need help. Don't expect it to be easy though! Changing your lifestyle is never easy. I'm still not quite at goal 4 years out, but I'm very close (10 lbs to go). I know I could be doing better, but I look back and reassure myself that I've come a long way...The band helps me not backslide.

Good luck in making your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Specializing in RNY (gastric bypassMexico Weight Loss Surgeon Graphic), Inamed Lap-Band® and Sleeve Gastrectomy. Dr. Zapata has excellent credentials but equally important, his life has been affected by morbid obesity. After losing his father to an early death and witnessing first hand how obesity maims family members cell by cell, he vowed to dedicate his life to helping people overcome obesity through weight loss surgery. Dr. Zapata understands first hand the pain of living in a body that doesn’t respond to traditional methods of diet and exercise, while also internalizing that we each need to make solid choices regarding exercise, diet and balance in our lives. Dr. Zapata not only speaks about obesity from first hand experience, he leads by example - running daily and eating a healthful diet etc. Dr. Zapata is eminently qualified to help you select the surgical procedure that is correct for you (Inamed lap band, RNY-gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy) and to provide the counseling and aftercare necessary to regain your health.

After doing some more research, I feel pretty confident in Dr. Zapata. I'm not really having second thoughts about doing this anymore, but I do want some specifics about different bands to get. You said not to get a 4cc band, what band should I be looking for??

I checked in Colorado and there is a "fill station USA" that will take me post-op from Mexico. So that's nice that I have that out of my mind.

I'm also starting to wonder if I should be going after a "sleeve" vs a band. I need to read up more about this...

I guess the average size band these days is a 10 cc band. No one uses the 4cc anymore and a doc who tries to sell one to you may be out of touch with the latest advancements. I did have trouble with my 4cc band (dilation of my pouch and I needed to have it removed and replaced) and now I have a 14cc band and I'm getting along fine with it.

Thank you for the info!

Ahh the more I'm reading and hearing from people, the more I think I should be going with a "sleeve" rather than a "band". I hate the idea of something artificial inside of me that I'll have to maintain for the rest of my life. I'd rather just have something over and done with!

Hi Buchannon - I am planning to have my band surgery in Mexico in January. I've done a lot of research myself and feel pretty good about it. Being self-pay I've had to save up the $ - was supposed to originally go in September but that fell through. I wish you the best of luck. If you can afford the sleeve, I'd do it. It's just not in my capabilities to do the sleeve right now. Maybe in the future, idk. You don't have "much" to loose though compared to alot of people that get the band so I'd imagine it would still be a good avenue for you? Idk I'm obviously not a doc! lol Whatever makes you happy! :thumbup:

I'm self pay as well and will definitely be getting a personal loan from my bank to help me out.

I really can't afford the sleeve either, but I figure it will be worth it. No fills, no complications, no upkeep on it - ever! Might as well do something right the first time!

I'm self pay as well and will definitely be getting a personal loan from my bank to help me out.

I really can't afford the sleeve either, but I figure it will be worth it. No fills, no complications, no upkeep on it - ever! Might as well do something right the first time!

So true! Maybe down the road I'll be able to afford a revision and get the sleeve - a girl can dream, right?? lol :thumbup:

My BMI is a little lower than you at 31. I am just getting started with my research and the more I read the more difficult it is. I am definetly doing something. I hate being over weight and just can't lose wieght and keep it off without help!!!! I am in Houston TX so Mexico is not so far. I love this forum because I can read about other stories and know I am not alone!!!!

After doing some more research, I feel pretty confident in Dr. Zapata. I'm not really having second thoughts about doing this anymore, but I do want some specifics about different bands to get. You said not to get a 4cc band, what band should I be looking for??

I checked in Colorado and there is a "fill station USA" that will take me post-op from Mexico. So that's nice that I have that out of my mind.

I'm also starting to wonder if I should be going after a "sleeve" vs a band. I need to read up more about this...

I went though Ready 4 a Change myself judy is great i had it done aug 2007 and we still talk like it was yesterday. i have the 4cc band and my aunt has the 10cc band and wishes she would have gotten the 4cc band like me, im not sure why i got the 4 and she got the 10 and went to the same dr. all i can say is to listen to dr zapata and what he recommends will be right for you, everyone is different and what good for somelse may not be for you. oh i went you go to mexico BRING SOMEONE WITH YOU i had to go alone because my family didnt support me going to mexico and my husband had to say with the kids and my aunt just had plastic surgery. i was really hard and painful without help. i hope everything goes well for you. good luck!!!

I went though Ready 4 a Change myself judy is great i had it done aug 2007 and we still talk like it was yesterday. i have the 4cc band and my aunt has the 10cc band and wishes she would have gotten the 4cc band like me, im not sure why i got the 4 and she got the 10 and went to the same dr. all i can say is to listen to dr zapata and what he recommends will be right for you, everyone is different and what good for somelse may not be for you. oh i went you go to mexico BRING SOMEONE WITH YOU i had to go alone because my family didnt support me going to mexico and my husband had to say with the kids and my aunt just had plastic surgery. i was really hard and painful without help. i hope everything goes well for you. good luck!!!

Ahh I forgot all about this post. I ended up going with the sleeve (through Dr. Zapata) about 5 months ago and am SO HAPPY I went with that over the band. I know some people are successful with the band but it definitely wasn't right for me. Anyway - things are going amazingly, I only have about 10-15 more lbs to lose to get to my goal.