Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Social drinking and lap band

What is the rule about drinking alcohol? I think I read somewhere to wait about 6 months after surgery. Is that correct? In the past I averaged one drink every month during social gatherings. Has your doctor recommended anything to you about this?

Every doctor will have a different request for this. My office recommends waiting a year before drinking again, and then on the rare occasion.

I still occasionaly have wine with dinners. To me this has to be something I can and will do for the rest of my life.

When in doubt, talk to your surgeons office to get all the information.

I just asked about this at my last appt. The nurse told me that they don't have a 'hard and fast' rule about it, except to be sensible. Be mindful of sugar content, and no carbonation. I just had my very first drink and it was a shot of flavored rum over ice, not mixed with anything. I sipped it and made it last. I'm not much of a drinker though!

My (rare) drink of choice is vodka/water with two lemons. I actually sip it so slowly I need to order another glass of ice. I pour my watered down leftovers in it and start all over again. I am a cheap date LOL!!

I don't recall a time limitation from my doctor, but drinking isn't all that important to me. I'm not being judgmental.. just honest.

He does say that alcohol will slow down your weight loss. Another bariatric professional recently told me that alcohol will stymie your weight loss efforts for 3 days after imbibing.

As always, do consult your own physician if in doubt. And no beer, champagne or other sparkling wines.

P.S. I had a lemon-drop martini this weekend (sans the sugar on the rim).. it was wonderful!

My doctor had no rules other than to be mindful of the fact that it does contain lots of hidden carbs (depending on your choice of drink), many times will give you the munchies the next day, etc.

I have to be honest that I didn't pay much attention to what he said (cuz I don't drink) so these are just the high points that I remember.

I went on an all-inclusive trip to Mexico about 4 weeks after my surgery and drank alchol with no problem. I must admit, I drank more than I should have, but it didn't hurt me. I still lost about 5 lbs that month.

My surgeon had no restrictions with alcohol but as mentioned, it is all empty calories and carbs.

I'm a binge drinker (not proud nor ashamed) and have had no issues.

Empty calories and carbs! That being said..........I am a very social person!:)

No rules as to not being able to drink. I have had a drink maybe a few times a month since surgery and no problems. That being said alcohol seems to make me hungry and so I seem to eat more than I should after drinking.

Mmmm Malibu and Crystal Light. (I'd use vodka but I'm a little allergic.) When I'm out, it's Malibu and cranberry. Although I've ordered Malibu and Water when I have a Crystal Light single on me. Can't beat an occasional margarita though!

Go slow your first time drinking post-op, you're now a cheap date for food and drinks.

My doctor never put a time rule for when it was ok to drink alcohol again.

I have found that I can't drink carbonated beverages, hard liquor makes me sick even just a little so wine is my alcohol of choice. However I must be careful with it because it does make me drunk fast even after one glass!

Thank you everyone for your responses! I went out with friends for my birthday this evening. I had one margarita that I made last the whole evening.

:)

My surgeon had no restrictions with alcohol but as mentioned, it is all empty calories and carbs.

I'm a binge drinker (not proud nor ashamed) and have had no issues.

lmfao...you bad boy binger!!!!!

I don't drink everyday, but I like my cocktail hour (s)! I drink vodka with Arizona diet green tea and a float of diet cranberry (YUM YUM)! I calculate every drink into my journal.

So far I have not had any ill effects, dropping a steady 10 pounds per month, and eating around 1200 -1600 cal. per day (including when I have cocktails)!:rolleyes: