Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby food really ????????

Hi everyone, is it true baby food 3 weeks out of surgery? I was told Protein Shakes 2 weeks after, then mushy foods. Please help me understand this!!! How do you eat mushy...confused.

Mushy foods are baby food consistency: mashed potatoes, soft scrambled eggs, etc. My doc allowed casseroles, chili, etc, after it had been put through the blender. You can eat baby food if you wish.

I ate baby foods because it was easier than blending up fruit and stuff. Fruit puree contains a lot of added sugar, but baby food it's all natural and delicious.

I looked at the ingrediants on one of the baby food bottles:

apples

blueberries

oatmeal

It was better to eat than the fruit purees...My mum insisted I eat mashed potatoe...I figured it'd be better for me to eat the baby food.

I got a stick blender and it was great! You can puree just about anything...even hard boiled eggs. But it also includes things like yogurt, cottage cheese sugar free pudding, ricotta cheese etc

I never ate any baby food. For mushies I ate Soups, eggs made many ways, mashed potatos, sweet potatos, oatmeal, tuna salad, fat free refried Beans and cheese, etc... Finally my surgeon pointed out that almost any food is a mushie if chewed well and that I should only avoid anything very crispy.

I never ate baby food either - it was just gross to me. I just mashed things up really well or attempted to do them in a blender.

Bleck. If I had to do baby food, I wouldn't have had surgery. Seriously--how repulsive.

Every doctor is different. Mine has his patients puree Protein for about 10 days (starting on the third postop day)--but a quick whiz in the Magic Bullet is light years away from he grossness that is baby food!

After that, it was soft/moist foods.

Your doctor's regimen may be different.

What???

Baby food is just mushed up fruit and oatmeal sometimes with less sugar and no additives :thumbup: How is it repulsive?

Is it just the thought of it?

Edited by WrenBird

I'm having trouble wraping my head around mushy foods and how to make them. I have dogs no babies so what do you put in the magic bullet to mush up? I'm clueless and need help.

Thanks

I'm having trouble wraping my head around mushy foods and how to make them. I have dogs no babies so what do you put in the magic bullet to mush up? I'm clueless and need help.

Thanks

Here ya go:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f82/liquid-stage-recipes-17636/

and you can blend anything up. Try some fruit and low fat yogurt.

Be creative! You can even take normal foods that everyone else is having for dinner (like curry chicken or something) and blend that up. Basically if it's blendable and it doesn't rely on consistency for deliciousness, you can blend it.

Hey Firechic,

I'm three days pre-op from sugery, and my nutritionist recomended the whole baby food thing when it came to the mushy stage.... and I actually took a stroll down the baby food isle at the local grocery store and decided not to even try it. I will just use a stick blender or food processer to puree whatever I need... There just weren't that many that were appealing and they all looked bland!!!!!

Hi everyone, is it true baby food 3 weeks out of surgery? I was told Protein shakes 2 weeks after, then mushy foods. Please help me understand this!!! How do you eat mushy...confused.

It differs person to person but most people's doctors (mine included) tell you to do 2 weeks clear liquids(must be able to go up a straw), 2 weeks puree (baby food smooth) and 2 weeks mushy (mashed with a fork consistency). This is so that your stomach is given time to heal and doesn't put strain on it too quickly. It takes 6 weeks to heal. Hope this helps you - it can be confusing but I'm 6 weeks on and that part of my journey is now history. Good luck with yours - you're on a great web site.:thumbup:

Thanks

Hi there, here are some of the mushes I did at this stage:

1. tin of tuna, slim mayo and cottage cheese.

2 cottage pie and veg (mash potato, mince meat and mixed veg) I bought a ready meal and mushed it all. Very tasty

3. Veg Soup

4. papaya, pear and banana with yoghurt

Hope this helps- good luck

I eat nearly everything and I just chew the heck out of it until it's mushy. My Dr said...your teeth are the best blenders there is. So I just chew more and make sure it is mushy like baby food.< /p>

Like people are saying .. yogurt, mashed potatos, cottage cheese, Soup, blend some salsa, refried Beans, soft scrambled eggs, and so on.

Baby food is disgusting. I tried it when my husband got his gastric bypass last year and rebought some different flavors and brands after my surgery and blegh. I fed them to my dogs.