Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What about beer?

beer is still almost impossible for me, even 2 years out. I have had the occasional Coors Light, but you gotta drink it slow and it helps if its in a glass so it can lose some bubbles..... chugging or BIG drinks are gone forever though (again, at least for me). I seem to do better with cocktails..... but way more calories so watch out for that.... I am taking in way too many calories in drinks but am working on that.

As for beer, if you really like it, find something with less carbonation and drink slowly.... one other thing I have learned. Alchohol does make it easy to slip food past the band (since the stomach gets numbed a little.... so you will tend to eat more than without the booze. Just my experience, so be on the look out for it.

Hope that helps.

The thing ire ally miss is beer. Like someone said, part of the reason I was fat I try every once in a while but the pain is intense when restriction is good. I have the periodic ahoy, primarily sipping tequila with a drop of lime juice. And red wine But alcohol has empty calories so I actually drink very little now. Unsweetened iced tea is now my usual.

I like to drink diet sodas will this be a problem after I am banded?

For me and everyone I've spoken to, nothing fizzy at all, at least for a year. I was warned and told I'd try anyway. I did. It hurt.

Thanks.... I'm fine with giving up beer... just gonna miss a cold PBR now and then. Never been one to fancy mixer anyways!

I dont have a problem with beer unless try to drink it quickly then it comes back up. but i can get a good gulp in just not chug it.

Sorry bud gonna have to give up the beer, all the bubbles its just like drinking a soda. Best bet is to stick to Hard Straight liquors, no mixers as they contain tons of sugar and calories.

That is a great weight loss you have there! Way to go!:waytogo: :welldone2:

Yeah im gonna say beer out for me

I have given up all carbinated sodas, atleast the daily ones. I drink OJ for Breakfast and tea all day. I dont miss diet coke at all b/c it makes me feel bad.

As for beer, I still have them weekly but I do hard pour it in a cup to make it foam...... killing the carbination. I also put salt in it to kill more carbination. You have to listen to your body and do as it says. If I am wanting a buz, I dont eat before.... it makes me full and I can only drink a couple.

As my handle suggests, I love beer. I was banded on December 14th and I -just- had my first beer on Memorial Day. It was a double IPA which I had poured into a nice glass and let it sit for a couple minutes. It was glorious! Didn't give me any problems, either. I might limit myself to 1 good beer per month. Depending on how I feel.

Before getting banded, the doctors were adamant about no carbonated beverages. I'm not a huge beer drinker, once in a while is it. My problem was soda. But ok, fine, no problem I'll give it up. One month after being banded, I flew out to an old friend's wedding. One night all of the groomsmen went out and we all had a lot to drink. It was only after I laid down that night to sleep that I realized beer was carbonated. I saw the doctor the next week and told him, and he just laughed and said don't worry about it, it's not going to affect anything. So I allow myself a soda from time to time, maybe two a month. Thing is, like a lot of you I don't really crave it anymore.

Thank you every one for sharing your stories and struggles. I know it sounds silly but one of my biggest concerns was will i be able to go out drinking with the boys after my surgery. I can see here that I am not the only person that worried about that, but also got some tips on modifying what I drink to be more band friendly.

I go in for my initial consulation on July 12th. Any words of wisdom?

Thank you every one for sharing your stories and struggles. I know it sounds silly but one of my biggest concerns was will i be able to go out drinking with the boys after my surgery. I can see here that I am not the only person that worried about that, but also got some tips on modifying what I drink to be more band friendly.

I go in for my initial consulation on July 12th. Any words of wisdom?

Good luck, man! I got banded yesterday and am feeling great! Of course, I'm still on Clear liquids, but it'll only be a matter of time before I can get some 'real' food into me. One peice of advice - Don't get intimidated by all of the dietary restrictions... I almost did. RD's are infamously negative when talking about what you WON'T be able to do after you're banded, or have bypass, etc. It's rare to find one that says 'but hey, try this...' - that's what sites like these and your local support groups are for. Good luck!!

Lance, Raleigh, NC

Its been 4 weeks and 1 day since was banded, I have had a few beers in the last week or so, but found that I can only drink 1 1/2, 12 oz cans an am full but seem to be no problems keeping it down. I have also tried Vodka Water and it seems to be ok also! With this being said though, I had a total loss of 35 lbs and in the last week I gain 3 lbs back! So now I decided to stick to water since I got banded to lose weight not gain it back!! My first fill will be on Aug 15.

I've never been much of a beer drinker. I'm actually slightly allergic to hops, so I couldn't drink much anyhow. Losing beer wasn't a big deal. But, my staple was bourbon and coke. Now, no more coke. So, guess I'll be sipping bourbon slowly, maybe with Water. I think vodka and cranberry is possible, though I'm afraid that might be a little girly. Bloody mary's also are on option, low calorie, never really drank those much, guess I will try once I get okay after surgery. I also like gin and tonics, that may be an option. But I will definitely miss my margaritas, hurricanes, daquiris, etc. But, no pain no gain, right?

I drink plenty of Guinness every other week or so.

I've tried drinking garbage like PBR, Coors, Bud and miller but they are very painful due to the high amount of carbonation.

As mentioned above, it is all empty calories and a lot of them. Be prepared to work that much harder to lose the weight if you choose to drink.

Knaroz, You're wrong on the mixer thing. The hard alcohol has more sugar and calories than anything you mix it with.

Guiness might be different because it's "carbonated" with nitrogen rather than CO2. The N2 bubbles are smaller giving Guiness a creamier feel.