Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What about beer?

Ok fella's,

I'm about 2 weeks out from sugery... getting banded on 11/1. The nutritionist said after sugery... no cabonated beverages because it can stretch the pouch. Do any of y'all have the occasional beer or cocktail?

weight.png

Sorry bud gonna have to give up the beer, all the bubbles its just like drinking a soda. Best bet is to stick to Hard Straight liquors, no mixers as they contain tons of sugar and calories.

Thanks.... I'm fine with giving up beer... just gonna miss a cold PBR now and then. Never been one to fancy mixer anyways!

LOL know what you mean I still get the urg for a cold one every now and then lol

I have found that when I am adequately restricted, I can't really tolerate beer or any other carbonated beverages for that matter.

I do, however enjoy drinking in social situations so I have no problem with Wine or any mixed drinks without carbonation ie. Margarita, Screw Driver, Bloody Mary, etc.. All these choices taken in moderation I think are fine. I find that giving things I enjoy up totally makes me unhappy. So I try to go easy on the bad stuff, but not eliminate it totally.

No problems with beer here. I dont drink alot but when I have 1 I drink MGD lite, it only has 60 some calories I believe. My dr doesnt seem to have a problem with it. How is it going to stretch your pouch, you burp like you always did, its not sealed shut.(pouch)

I am going in for my first Fill today and am interested on how it is going to affect my Beer Drinking. I don't do it much but I remember Trying to drink one 3 weeks ago and my stomach was still a little swollen from the surgery and it didn't go down well. The Bubble I got in my chest felt like it was going to kill me. It will be interesting to see if I can still drink a beer everyone once and awhile.

I only stopped for a month after my surgery and drink about 4 nights a week we play darts and ping pong in my garage a lot, hit my goal of 120lbs down in 18 months and have had no issues.

Might not be a good Idea but oh well only live once.

I'm not a guy but thought I would chip in anyway.

Dr's tend to have very contradictory ideas on what is/isn't OK after banding and that includes carbonation. I asked my Dr why you are not allowed any a couple of months after my surgery and was told that it is a very individual thing. For some people the carbonation causes a lot of discomfort whilst for others they can handle it without a problem.

So long as it doesn't cause you pain or discomfort there is nothing wrong with having an occasional beer.

Tips to make it easier include:-

Do not drink it from the bottle.

Pour it into a glass and let it stand for a while.

Don't try to gulp it down.

And of course don't drink it with or straight after food.

Also be aware that some days it may go down fine and then the next it doesn't. I had a very uncomfortable evening after a couple of glasses of champagne a couple of months back.

I drink plenty of Guinness every other week or so.

I've tried drinking garbage like PBR, Coors, Bud and miller but they are very painful due to the high amount of carbonation.

As mentioned above, it is all empty calories and a lot of them. Be prepared to work that much harder to lose the weight if you choose to drink.

Knaroz, You're wrong on the mixer thing. The hard alcohol has more sugar and calories than anything you mix it with.

Guess how I got FAT : BEER!

BEER + ASSOCIATED DUMB food LIKE TACO HELL AND JACK IN THE CRACK LOL.

Beer is going bye bye,

See ya beer,

Fatboy_Slim

Not a guy but am an occasional beer drinker so thought I'd pipe in. I didn't drink carbonated drinks of any sort when losing but now in maintenance, my band isn't that tight and I can have a beer or two without too many issues. More than that and the bubbles make me feel really full and uncomfortable. Despite this, I have been known to sometimes push through this to have more than two (I recall a particularly messy St Paddy's day this year... lol)

There is absolutely nothing as great tasting as a beer on a stinking hot day. And yes, I think drinking it out of glass and not the bottle definitely helps as the carbonation dissipates a little as you pour it out.