Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to regret getting Lap Band

So..

I'm really getting frustrated with this whole situation. I got banded November 13, 2009. Since then I've had numerous fills including having to get my saline un-filled because it was too tight at one time. I went to Dr. Paul Enochs of Raleigh, NC. They have a fluro x-ray there and that's how they determine how the band is doing.

The past two times I've gone, intending on getting a fill because I'm feeling barely any restriction, and the PA told me that he does not feel comfortable giving me an adjustment because it was tight enough.

I told him what I FELT and that the fluro x-ray is not exactly telling what I feel. I started crying because this is the second time in a row I went to the doctor wanting to get a fill and they would not give me a fill. Keep in mind my co-pay is $30/visit and I still have to pay it regardless of not getting a fill. Lately money has been an issue so this really pissed me off.

I told the PA that I felt that there was no point in having this system in my stomach if it's not doing anything.

Now let me just tell you this... I do have my moments where I do slip and eat bad, but it's rare - mostly at work where the temptation is. I work out 3-5 days a week. I'm hovering between 194 and 203 pounds.

I'm really just tired of this. Some part of me feels that maybe I should of gotten gastric bypass so there is no adjustments and questioning to this lap band.

Here's my question... my BMI is now about 33. Do people ever get gastric bypass after lapband? Is it possible?> I'm really considering A. Switching doctors and insisting on a fill. B. getting gastric bypass.

This is just so damn frustrating!!! What do I do?:)

I, too, was banded 11/09. I have only lost about 35 lbs, so I feel your frustration. I have 7 cc in my band and am just now starting to feel restriction. I need another fill because I am hungry all the time. I just have been using mega-will power to get through to the end of this month before I can get one. That's if they don't refuse...which is a possiblity. They may think I have enough.

The one thing that I noticed is that if I go 1 calorie over 1100 each day, I gain weight. I don't work out often, so watching my calories is a must. I get lots of Protein in shakes and noticed in the last week or so that I am starting to really drop the pounds. I just don't know how long I can keep my stamina up without another fill.

I don't think 6 cc is enough for you, but I am not a doctor either. I wish you luck. It's taken me almost a year to figure this band out and I still feel like I'm starving!!!!

I, too, was banded 11/09. I have only lost about 35 lbs, so I feel your frustration. I have 7 cc in my band and am just now starting to feel restriction. I need another fill because I am hungry all the time. I just have been using mega-will power to get through to the end of this month before I can get one. That's if they don't refuse...which is a possiblity. They may think I have enough.

The one thing that I noticed is that if I go 1 calorie over 1100 each day, I gain weight. I don't work out often, so watching my calories is a must. I get lots of Protein in shakes and noticed in the last week or so that I am starting to really drop the pounds. I just don't know how long I can keep my stamina up without another fill.

I don't think 6 cc is enough for you, but I am not a doctor either. I wish you luck. It's taken me almost a year to figure this band out and I still feel like I'm starving!!!!

I know what you mean by the willpower. I have it sometimes, but why have this tool if it's not going to be used to its advantage?

My band is only 3 1/2 CC's. It used to be 6 cc's but they had to unfill it when it was too tight back in June. Since then it's back to 3 1/2 CC's.

The PA said that everyone's band is different. Some people can only have 2 CC's and feel enough restriction. I, on the other hand don't have much. I think it's time for a different doctor.:)

I know what you mean by the willpower. I have it sometimes, but why have this tool if it's not going to be used to its advantage?

My band is only 3 1/2 CC's. It used to be 6 cc's but they had to unfill it when it was too tight back in June. Since then it's back to 3 1/2 CC's.

The PA said that everyone's band is different. Some people can only have 2 CC's and feel enough restriction. I, on the other hand don't have much. I think it's time for a different doctor.:)

I would definitely try another doctor before I went for another surgery.

3.5 cc's is probably not enough for you. I've had to be unfilled too because of being too tight, but they only took out .2cc's... 2.5 cc unfill is pretty big, IMO.

It can also make a difference in which band you have, the realize band seems to take more fill to achieve dimming of appetite than the lapband. This is a general observation, and not necessarily true of all people ~ disclaimer.

Good luck on finding another doctor. In the meantime, push the fluids to help with appetite.. I know, not easy. Hang in there!

Ask to see the doctor instead of the PA next time. When you go in, have a log of (a) what you eat, and when, and (:) how long you are satisfied after eating.

Looking at a band fluoroscopically does give information about its tightness. However, your band has plenty of "room" for more fill, and chances are, you'd tolerate a conservative fill nicely.

If you are making wise food choices, and are getting hungry too soon after eating, then YOUR experience needs to be taken into account when making decisions about fill. It's not just whether you're losing weight, or the band looks adjusted. It's how it feels, too.

Jessica, Don't give up on the band yet. I remember when you first started posting and were so excited. This is a bump in the road for you. I agree with Milissannde and Betsy. I think they took out a bit too much when you were too tight and you need to talk with the Dr. and work out what is going on. It really sounds like they do need to give you another fill. Go back in and get this problem resolved so you can get your excitement back and enjoy success with the band. Look at your ticker. You are halfway there!

I totally agree that I would find a different doc. before thinking about bypass. Also, Betsy gave some great advice, keep a log and go in with specific data. I don't understand why they won't give you a fill since your telling them your hungry. My doc. does fills without flouro. and he always listens to me. I have never been refused a fill, although for 2-3 I had to get an unfill afterwards. Good luck to you!

Just wanted to chime in and support the previous comments. Flouro is great, but the PA should be listening to you. When making the next appointment say you have communication problems with the PA and request the Dr. If that gets you nowhere it is time to change Docs. No need for a whole new surgery yet, try to find the right Dr. first. Hang in there - I know that is easier said than done but you are going to get there!

Fills should be done based on what *you* are feeling, not what the fluoro shows or whether the PA *thinks* you have enough fill. I'd call and tell them you want to make an appointment with the doctor. If they refuse, I'd send a certified letter to the doctor that only he can sign for because he may not have a clue what his gatekeepers are doing. If that is ignored, I'd find another doctor.

Oh and I'd do a search online for your doctor. Many times you can find sites that have them listed and the ability to leave comments. That's how I chose mine. I read all the comments for various doctors and he had the highest number of 'excellent' comments regarding surgery and after care.

Elfie has a good point about how to locate good doctors. (I also would recommend leaving feedback about the one you have.)

thanks guys!! I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to try to work with what I have in the band and control my brain hunger. I feel that my brain hunger is taking control of me. I'm going to try to give it another chance, but in the meantime make an appointment in 3 weeks with the doctor not the PA, so I can then decide if I've tried everything and journal everything -- then I can show them that. If my doctor refuses to give me a fill a 3RD TIME, then I'm gonna switch doctors. Thanks for all your guys support. <3

I know this is off track but I think you look great and you've lost a lot of weight. That's soemthing you should be proud of.

I was sort of thinking maybe I should've just had gastric bypass too...When people ask me if I think they should get it done, I tell them to get the sleeve or a gastric bypass...The fills are annoying, but in the end the most important thing is that you're atleast a bit healthier than you were pre-op.

thank you for being so sweet!

I have since re-thought about how I felt about getting possible gastric bypass. I know now I made the right decision to improve my life.

thank you for being so sweet!

I have since re-thought about how I felt about getting possible gastric bypass. I know now I made the right decision to improve my life.

:)

Also gastric bypass has more dangers :thumbup: