Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got a hospital bill for$60K for my Band!!

They already billed my insurance $15K. My insurance paid $11K and wrote off the rest. Now the hospital is billing an additional $60K in charges. They said they actually charge $75K TOTAL for Lap Band surgery. They get $33K just for the band!

I think that's ridiculous! They billed me for it b/c they tried to bill my insurance and my insurance denied their claim and said I was not responsible.

Now I'll have to call my insurance tomorrow. I'm not worried about it. I know my insurance will either pay it or force them to write it off but that's an astronomical amount.

Those of you that had insurance pay for your band how much was the total hospital claim?

mine was almost 25,000.00 and i paid 0. the band was 10,000.00. wow i think someone is over charging someone. that seems absurd!!!!

It does to me also. The thing is they will do it for $12500 CASH and that includes the hospital, surgeon and anesthesia part. They split that 3 ways.

My insurance was billed $30,000. Crazy, considering what they will do it for self-pay. I'm not sure how much insurance actually paid.

Those numbers are crazy. How do they not get caught for over charging the insurance? Why is it one price for self pay and another for insurance?

I am not sure what my total was. I had $1000 deductible since my surgeon was out of network, but that was it....

Mine was $28,762 I only paid $125.

HOLY COW..that is outrageous!!! i see ads on the side of this post saying you can get it for under 10 grand...wth?

I"m fortunate that my insurance paid 100%. :laugh: if i would of had to pay out of pocket I wouldn't of been able to get it!

The hospital billed my insurance $80K for the 24+ hour hospital stay. This did not include anesthesia, surgeon, or x-ray. Based on their contract my insurance adjusted the bill to I think $8K.

Your insurance company has a fraud department. Send them copies of everything. Maybe you can prevent them from doing this to someone else.

Holy cow! That's highway robbery!! I was self pay as BC/BS would cover only my shrink fee, I paid $12,500 total. Being reasonable that the charge is more perhaps in more metropolitan type areas, I can see up to $20,000 but anything more is just ridiculous!! I hope you get everything straightened out! Good luck!

My insurance was billed $28,000. Seems high when I see ads here for $5,000. Gotta love the American insurance game. :laugh:

I know where you are coming from, last year when my wife got her bypass, the hospital billed 125k. That was for the OR and 48 hours in a room without complications. The doctor and anesthesia was an additional 8k. BCBS disallowed 80% of that I believe. I think they bill for 120%+, knowing it will get knocked down.

Seemed insane to me, when a couple of months earlier my wife underwent emergency gall bladder surgery at a different hospital, with ER admission, 24 hour recovery and everything for 35k total.

Cheers, Erick

Welcome to America, the greatest helthcare system in the world....

Yea and it will only get better in the future lol

wow. my total bills were about $19,000 including hospital and surgeon... and 2,300 after insurance did their part. They're not supposed to be able to re-bill you after insurance... they have a contract with your insurance company to accept their payment, you shouldn't be getting extra bills after it's been paid!