Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

so sorry life saver, I wonder what your current weight is? the lower you are, the lower your BMI the more difficult I think the weight loss is. Are you exercising at all, that's important, try to do something every day, some say 60 mins every day, but that is quite difficult? I do 30 mins 5 days a week. Also drinking alot of Water. and track what you eat, and change it all up a bit periodically. Intake can be too low too, your body goes into emergency mode. these are just some ideas.

Lisa

Hi All - it's been ages since I've been on but good to see all the posting and the ups and downs of the banding journey. I was banded on the 14 September 2010 and it's been such a hard journey as despite 3 fills, I still haven't reached the restriction I hoped for. Sooo, that means that I can eat way more than I should be able to do - I tested it on pizza a few days ago. No fullness! I have 12cc band and am sitting at 7cc at the moment so have some way to go. I'm hanging in there, trying to keep my portion sizes to the half cup but it's tough! :unsure:

so sorry life saver, I wonder what your current weight is? the lower you are, the lower your BMI the more difficult I think the weight loss is. Are you exercising at all, that's important, try to do something every day, some say 60 mins every day, but that is quite difficult? I do 30 mins 5 days a week. Also drinking alot of Water. and track what you eat, and change it all up a bit periodically. Intake can be too low too, your body goes into emergency mode. these are just some ideas.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, i was 320 when i was evaluated and 319 day of surgery 9/17/10 and now i am 300. I am writing everything down now so i can see what i am eating and what i am doing! I do go to pool 2 x week right now and walk at least 1 1/2 hours and due to back and knee and foot problems i have to be careful to not overdo it or i can't walk at all, so the pool works right now for me until i can get my weight down. I think i am worried that the dr will not give me more fills without the UGI and i do not have insurance and i also do not have any symptoms of esophageal stretching and i still get hunger about 2 hours after eting meal. These all appear to be signs i am not to my sweet spot. I appreciate all your advice, just nervous about not getting to my sweet spot. Nor sure how to handle the DR. in this case.

hmm, that is preplexing, if you are on the computer much, try the free online food counter, it's neat cause it gives a breakdown of nutrients etc. I give some links above in an answer to pooky. Sounds like your exercising that is great! does your Doc fill you with flouro, or just blind? If not flouro you might try to find a place that will do a flouro fill- although I've heard bad stories about fill centers usa, but I've had both blind and flouro, I think flouro is probably more accurate, and you can see what is going on, while they are filling you. I do blind fills now cause it's cheaper and closer then the other place I went to.

Also, if you know your calories, carbs and Protein you will know then if you are perhaps too low. Other things I've heard- use of Fiber pills to combat hunger, like maybe 1.5 hours after meal. Really my schedule involves high protein and high fiber Snacks between Breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner- laughing cow cheese, jerkey, a piece of fruit, nuts, yogurt, etc. everyday I do about 100ish calorie snack twice a day. also when I'm hungery I get a lot of help from Water. It's also important to make sure you are getting a lot of fiber in your food, that really helps with hunger. But tracking your food is important, after a while you will figure it out, but diligently tracking will give you power. And I've heard people on webinairs atc that really do more like 6- 200 calorie meals- or 5 225 calorie meals, and a 100-125 calorie dessert. - but protein and fiber and carbs and fat all throughout the day.

Also, remember the band should be dimming your hunger, but there is a mental component too. Maybe going to over eaters anonymous might help with that. I know I have a lot of psychological hunger. A lot of it for me has happened through my getting in touch with how to nourish myself properly. Part of that came from following a certain diet for a time- I used the instinct diet, but any other low carb diet would work too.

I know before my surgery I was made to lose 10% of my weight, that was a difficult time for me, and I learned a lot during it, and what I really learned was how to more committed, that was with no restriction- my diet was 2 lean cuisinse meals, and a protien shake- and the fiber pills and the cromiium piccolate pills, I was so hungry, maybe if following a certain diet doesn't work for you something like this for a time might work.

I don't know, I feel your pain, I've had some very discouraging plateaus and the holidays what a nightmare.

best of luck. You can do this. We are here for you.

Hi All - it's been ages since I've been on but good to see all the posting and the ups and downs of the banding journey. I was banded on the 14 September 2010 and it's been such a hard journey as despite 3 fills, I still haven't reached the restriction I hoped for. Sooo, that means that I can eat way more than I should be able to do - I tested it on pizza a few days ago. No fullness! I have 12cc band and am sitting at 7cc at the moment so have some way to go. I'm hanging in there, trying to keep my portion sizes to the half cup but it's tough! :unsure:

:rolleyes: Hey Bunny !

I was banded on 9/20/10 , i also have a 12cc band and my first 3 fills did nothing ! and i do mean absolutley nothing !! I have not every felt a tiniest bit of restriction. Finally after complaining to my surgeon how i'm not getting any help here and i saw the scale beginning to move up he did a little experiement last week and it seems to have worked ! After a heck of a time trying to find the right spot in my port.. he withdrew all of the Fluid he had put in which should have been 6cc and came out as 5 1/2 ( but thats nothing), so anyway, he said " let's try putting in a fresh 6cc's and then adding until we have to stop. he put the 6 in and then another 4 to make a total of 10cc's OUCH lol chest pain! He said " good it works! now tell me when you feel comfortable again" and started to withdraw some. All of a sudden poof NO PAIN! I was left with 8 cc's. And I've finally after all these months I have restriction! :clap: Now granted i'm scared it'll stop in a week LOL i'm hoping NOT! And i've been working out at the gym for the first time in my life. But I just wanted to let you know there is hope ! and it may only take that one or two more fills before you hit that spot !!

:rolleyes: Hey Bunny !

I was banded on 9/20/10 , i also have a 12cc band and my first 3 fills did nothing ! and i do mean absolutley nothing !! I have not every felt a tiniest bit of restriction. Finally after complaining to my surgeon how i'm not getting any help here and i saw the scale beginning to move up he did a little experiement last week and it seems to have worked ! After a heck of a time trying to find the right spot in my port.. he withdrew all of the Fluid he had put in which should have been 6cc and came out as 5 1/2 ( but thats nothing), so anyway, he said " let's try putting in a fresh 6cc's and then adding until we have to stop. he put the 6 in and then another 4 to make a total of 10cc's OUCH lol chest pain! He said " good it works! now tell me when you feel comfortable again" and started to withdraw some. All of a sudden poof NO PAIN! I was left with 8 cc's. And I've finally after all these months I have restriction! :clap: Now granted i'm scared it'll stop in a week LOL i'm hoping NOT! And i've been working out at the gym for the first time in my life. But I just wanted to let you know there is hope ! and it may only take that one or two more fills before you hit that spot !!

:) Hi Shelly

Thanks so much for the encouragement!!! Hooray for your doc being so helpful and you finding restriction - I totally related to all you said.

I played down how hard it's been - I've stayed at the same weight for 4 months with a bit up and a bit down now and again so anger, depression, doubt and guilt have been my unwelcome buddies for way too long. I had such high hopes of losing at least 50% of my weight by now but not my story so far :unsure: I get you about being scared of losing the restriction .... we so want this to work!!!! I definitely have to go for another fill so will make that booking this week - never a fun outing hey! I will share your story with the man.

I'm also NOT a gym bunny so well done to you for making a start :Banane52: . I have a orbital stationery bike which I want to start on soooon. (I've just moved house so not organised yet).

Just a question if you don't mind - What is your portion size for each meal and what is your common daily 'menu'. I'm holding thumbs for your success with the new restriction.... :thumbup:

:) Hi Shelly

Thanks so much for the encouragement!!! Hooray for your doc being so helpful and you finding restriction - I totally related to all you said.

I played down how hard it's been - I've stayed at the same weight for 4 months with a bit up and a bit down now and again so anger, depression, doubt and guilt have been my unwelcome buddies for way too long. I had such high hopes of losing at least 50% of my weight by now but not my story so far :unsure: I get you about being scared of losing the restriction .... we so want this to work!!!! I definitely have to go for another fill so will make that booking this week - never a fun outing hey! I will share your story with the man.

I'm also NOT a gym bunny so well done to you for making a start :Banane52: . I have a orbital stationery bike which I want to start on soooon. (I've just moved house so not organised yet).

Just a question if you don't mind - What is your portion size for each meal and what is your common daily 'menu'. I'm holding thumbs for your success with the new restriction.... :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Hey Bunny ! =) No problem asking me any questions at all ! For the first time in my life my portion that i'm able to eat is about a palm full of food. But i'm also trying to have a small snack in between to make sure I get what i'm suposed too. I'll give you a good example of what i've been doing this week since my fill last friday. 8:00a.m Chobani yogurt with a medicine cup Kashi go lean crunch mixed in for Breakfast ( I LOVE THIS) 10:00am reduced fat cheese stick ( takes care of that hunger before lunch) 11:30am 1/2 of or whatever i can handle -lean cuisine or healthy choice - or whatever i bring from left over supper the hubby made but i've only been able to eat about palm full portion...2-3:00pm I have a sugar free pudding or Jello to help me get home.. then supper is whatever he makes but i use a tea saucer as my plate and eat what i can. last night he was making some kind of Pasta chicken and cream sauce and i wasn't feeling that much into it.. so i had fat free cottage cheese/pinapple on some special K chips ( the latest fad). I'm thinking i ate way more then i shoulde have. think i had almost half of the cottage cheese cotainer.... But that is an example of my day. I do have to return to the Doc in 4 weeks to check in. if i'm eating more then i am right now i will get another fill . but if i'm going like i am right now i will not.

Surprisingly I'm Loving the gym !! I hated workouts.. i hated any kind of exercise but i gotta tell you, i'm feeling sooo good the rest of my work day i'm really liking it now and missing it when i don't go . I go @ 6a.m 3 - 4 times a week, take my shower there and get ready and off to work right from the gym. :welldoneclap:

so excited, I met my mini goal, 50 lb loss by March 10- and I did it! horah, I was stuck all through the holidays, but for the last month and a half I've been actually averaging 2 lbs a week. I hope it keeps up.

so excited, I met my mini goal, 50 lb loss by March 10- and I did it! horah, I was stuck all through the holidays, but for the last month and a half I've been actually averaging 2 lbs a week. I hope it keeps up.

:waytogo: GREAT JOB! greatz and keep it up ! I have 9 lbs to go to reach my 50lb goal ! wish me luck lol

Yay! Congratulations Lisa :)

Hi September folk. Just a quick post to let you know that today's weigh in marked onederland for me! I weighed 198.2 this morning, which is 94 lbs down from my pre-op high and 65 lbs down since surgery!

stateofzen, That is wonderful,

Hey sourmissg, I also haven't been here much lately. I was banded on 9/2/10 and had my first fill on February 21st. I had lost 54 lbs then and am now down 65 pounds. Are you happy with your band? I'm so excited.

MyOwnLife

MyOwnLife, I had my first fill on March 7, the Dr said it may be a week before I fill anything. I hope ti kick in. I'm eating the right things

but I do eat more then I should.

Everyone keep up the good work.

sourmissg

:rolleyes: Hey Bunny ! =) No problem asking me any questions at all ! For the first time in my life my portion that i'm able to eat is about a palm full of food. But i'm also trying to have a small snack in between to make sure I get what i'm suposed too. I'll give you a good example of what i've been doing this week since my fill last friday. 8:00a.m Chobani yogurt with a medicine cup Kashi go lean crunch mixed in for breakfast ( I LOVE THIS) 10:00am reduced fat cheese stick ( takes care of that hunger before lunch) 11:30am 1/2 of or whatever i can handle -lean cuisine or healthy choice - or whatever i bring from left over supper the hubby made but i've only been able to eat about palm full portion...2-3:00pm I have a sugar free pudding or Jello to help me get home.. then supper is whatever he makes but i use a tea saucer as my plate and eat what i can. last night he was making some kind of Pasta chicken and cream sauce and i wasn't feeling that much into it.. so i had fat free cottage cheese/pinapple on some special K chips ( the latest fad). I'm thinking i ate way more then i shoulde have. think i had almost half of the cottage cheese cotainer.... But that is an example of my day. I do have to return to the Doc in 4 weeks to check in. if i'm eating more then i am right now i will get another fill . but if i'm going like i am right now i will not.

Surprisingly I'm Loving the gym !! I hated workouts.. i hated any kind of exercise but i gotta tell you, i'm feeling sooo good the rest of my work day i'm really liking it now and missing it when i don't go . I go @ 6a.m 3 - 4 times a week, take my shower there and get ready and off to work right from the gym. :welldoneclap:

Hey there Shely - thanks for the information. It was the portion size I was looking at as that's my problem but good to see what you eat for new ideas - I start the day pretty near to what you have. Half a cup is what the dietician says but I'm just not satisfied by that and still feel like I need more food. I like the idea of a tea saucer - will try it this weekend. Have a good one....:Angel_anim:

Like many of you, I haven't checked in in a while myself. So HI again everyone!

Congratulations to those who are doing soo great! Thats really awesome! keep it up!

Those who are struggling, don't give up! It may be slow, but at least you are not gaining! Think about if you did not have the band, would you have lost any weight, gained any or stayed the same. I know I would have gained more.

Personally, I am down 29 lbs. :D Of course it could be better but I am certainly not complaining. Its 29 lbs less then I would have been if I didn't get banded! Im finally seeing a difference too, in the mirror and in my cloths. And other people are noticing now too. It seems like up to 25 lbs, no one noticed, but now people are commenting. 29 down, 35 more to go! Oh and yeah... its been a with a lot of work to lose just this amount. Im not at full restriction either. I think I have 3 or 4 or 10cc. I go back to the doctor, after 2 months, on March 22. So I will request another fill and that should work better. And yes, exercise is included! But I do admit, I am not perfect, I do eat junk food sometimes, thats why I know I can't blame anything but myself and just be satisfied with what I allow for myself.

Keep it up people! Don't give up! WE ARE WORTH IT!!

I will be making my appointment for next week to go back in. I feel the same way right now cause i dont feel the restriction. I hope this feel could be your sweet spot....I cant wait to hear more from you in acouple weeks when we see a huge drop in your number....now you have me excited to go in and get my second fill. :)

We are also planning a cruise....we are planning for July to go with another couple. Best of luck to you!

I feel so bad that I have not been on this thing in so long. I went in for another fill, now at 6 cc's, I do feel more restriction, but if I was honest with myself, I still overeat. Not as much as I used to but, still more than a palm full. There are days where I feel like I need more to eat than others. Then of course there are those days that I get so busy I forget to eat at all. So I do believe that a lot of what I am "feeling" is mostly in my mind. I am in awe of some of the posts I have read on here of people being banded the same day I was and have already lost 95 lbs. I am so poroud of you! I know that I have done well in my weight loss as well, I have gone from size 24/26 to a size 16W. However, I have been stuck at my current weight +/- a pound or two for the past 2 months. I am undergoing a lot of problems with my back and have been having shots so not able to do a lot of exercise as of yet. Can those of you who have lost more than 50 lbs and have starting exercising for the first time in a long time tell me what you are doing so I can begin something that will work for now and then do more once my back is fixed? I will finally be graduating with a 4.0 GPA from Chapman University and the commencement is in May. I refuse to cross that stage unless I am below 200lbs (25 lbs to go). I crossed the stage for my AA degree last June and I look like a beached whale in my black robe. I will not do that to myself again. It killed me. Please help me find a way to get this weight loss kicked into gear again so I can reach this goal and walk across the stage. Thank you so much for any advice!!!

Hello!

I was banded September 14, 2010 and have been discourage lately because my weight loss has been at a stop for about a month. I have and 4 fills and will be going back on March 23 for another one. I do not feel much restriction but I am exited for the next fill. I hope it works out and I reach a satisfactory fill for my band. !!!!