Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here...wondering is it really worth it?

After reading many posts, I'm realizing more and more that success with the lapband is mainly dependent on behaviour changes. I know that the lapband is not a magic bullet, but I guess I'm just wondering if there's another nonsurgical tool for appetite control I could use if I'm having to make such drastic changes on my own anyway.:lol:

I hope I don't get pounced on for this...lol. I just see how many drastic changes that we have to make for ourselves, and frankly I'm not sure if I have the willpower. Would appreciate some responses about what made you decide that this was the best tool for you, and how you have been able to cope with all of the major changes.

I had my surgery 2 1/2 months ago and can tell you that my ATTITUDE towards certain foods that I used to LOVE has changed due to not being able to tolerate them anymore physically. No one told me that I would be saying goodbye to bread, but I have. It makes me sick to eat it now. I've since learned that most people cannot eat bread after the surgery. When I see a panini/sandwich or pizza, instead of thinking, "YUM!", I think, "That would make me so sick!" I have honestly lost my desire to eat some of the bad stuff, so willpower is not even an issue anymore.

After reading many posts, I'm realizing more and more that success with the lapband is mainly dependent on behaviour changes. I know that the lapband is not a magic bullet, but I guess I'm just wondering if there's another nonsurgical tool for appetite control I could use if I'm having to make such drastic changes on my own anyway.:lol:

I hope I don't get pounced on for this...lol. I just see how many drastic changes that we have to make for ourselves, and frankly I'm not sure if I have the willpower. Would appreciate some responses about what made you decide that this was the best tool for you, and how you have been able to cope with all of the major changes.

Have you had your psych eval yet? You will discuss with the doc.issues such as dealing with behavioral changes.The lapband is a tool:it is up to you to make the right food choices, exercise, to eat to live & not live to eat!

I have gone from bmi 50-22 befor and am back to 40 again,yes its behavioral but without lots of help odds are 95% against maintaining your loss.signed a fat MD.Good luck have courage.:biggrin:

but I guess I'm just wondering if there's another nonsurgical tool for appetite control I could use if I'm having to make such drastic changes on my own anyway.:biggrin:

Angel,

The first thing you need to do is take stock of your eating behaviors. *Why* do you eat.

If you're a grazer, the band will most likely not stop you from continuing that bad habit.

If you're a sweet eater, the band will still allow you to get your sweet 'fix' because many of these high carb goodies slide right through.

The band will, once you have restriction, help you control portions at one sitting. The rest will be up to you.

10 months postop and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the band was not the right choice for me so I'm going back to Plan A which was responsible for me losing 70 pounds without the band...and that was a very restrictive low carb diet. I don't count calories or fats...just carbs. I also only eat the kind of carbs found in low carb vegies and fruits. Everything else is completely off limits...not even a bite for a special occasion.

Good luck with whatever decision you come to.

Melody

All of the weight-loss surgeries rely on you to make the behavioral changes; all of them. You can't have WLS and eat cake and ice cream each day and expect to lose. You have to eventually realize that the diet you have now is obviously unhealthy and is causing you to gain weight. You'll also have to realize that maybe the lifestyle you live is contributing as well.

But, in the end, like Elfie said, it depends on why you're overweight. Do you eat all day? Do you eat a lot of junk food? Do you not eat 3 meals a day and then when you do eat, you overeat? The band can help with all of this, but you have to make the choice to allow the band to help you, and that means eating right and exercising.

Coping with the changes has been fine for me. I stay away from Pasta and rice, I count my carbs, and I eat sensibly and I exercise each day. It's not too hard, and for me really not too drastic. I enjoy eating how I eat now, as well as exercising.

In any case, losing weight is going to take your effort as well. You have to make changes in order to see changes.

Good luck in whatever you choose; I definitely love being banded, but you should talk to a psych. to really see if this is what's best for you.

I have been dieting my whole life and now I have a hope in my life that my life will no longer revolve around food. I would say just the process is worth it. It gives me hope.:smile: