Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded yesterday. Few Questions.

Well I was finally banded yesterday. It was good, but I am sore and pretty swollen. (Alll grama and or spelling is due to liquid pain meds =)

1) how long after surgery (days) did you start feeling better?

I feel uninterested in drinking even thou I know I have to. Also, I had that feeling of "what in the hell did I do." I really didn't think that would happen. Must be the pain talking.

You can prepare as mush as you like for this change, but trust me I am lost as all get out just thinking about how my life is now changes.

Also, I keep stressing about dehydration. I know I need to keep sipping.

Thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc,

First, congrats on the band. I didn't experience pain so I can't help you there, but I have a great tip for preventing dehydration. A lot of us coming out of surgery are uninterested in drinking because we lose the desire to (temperarily). Mix a Protein drink and keep a bottle of Water near, get a medicine cup and drink an ounce every 10 to 15 minutes. You'll get in a good amount of Protein and kept yourself hydrated.

Best of luck!

sugar free popsickles helped me right after surgery....as well as warm drinks like hot herbal tea...it was soothing as well as hydrating

I also had the feeling of "why the hell did I do this" but after I started to feel better and saw the scale go down a little, I realized that I did the right thing for me.

1) how long after surgery (days) did you start feeling better?

I was feeling crummy and a lot of pain for about 4-5 days. I was expecting it to be worse so I was amazed on day 5 that I felt pretty good!

I feel uninterested in drinking even thou I know I have to.

Understand that one! Just keep sipping... sing it liky Dory from Finding Nemo... Just keep sipping, just keep sipping... after that 5 day mark I was better with drinking.. and after a week or so I could drink a lot easily as long as I had nothing in my stomach..

Also, I had that feeling of "what in the hell did I do." I really didn't think that would happen. Must be the pain talking.

I thought the same thing, and still do 4 weeks later when I get stuck or when the rest of the family is devouring my favorite pizza!!! I am confident that once I get restriction and really start to lose this weight I will no longer have that nasty thought in my head!

You can prepare as mush as you like for this change, but trust me I am lost as all get out just thinking about how my life is now changes.

Thank goodness for this website and everyone on it! No, you can't be fully prepared for this life change. My dr and nutritionist tried to prepare me fully and did a great job- but hearing from hundreds of others in various stages of lap banding is what really prepped me. I knew the first few weeks would be "hell" and they are. So I know that once I get to my "sweet spot" it will be closer to heaven... had I not found support here I would be in a much worse state of mind than I am now over the whole thing! best of luck to you!

It took me nearly 2 weeks to feel good. I was having a hard time getting enough Protein.

I believe that "What in the world did I just do?" feeling is common. I know I felt that way during the first 2 weeks. Now that I'm 5 weeks out, I wouldn't have changed it for the world. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

i got mine yesterday, too, and i totally get you. I don't know how long the pain lasts, but today is better than last night. I have to pee like every 3 hours. considereing i haven't had much to drink, that is shocking. and it hurts to go, too. My Dr knew what he was talkig about for preop, though. nothing but Clear Liquids and a liquid laxitive. nasty, but a good thing today. nothing in there to come out yet, so don't have that pain yet. i found that juice bags i use for the kids are easy to drink- i use the roaring waters by capri sun- only 10 calories per bag i think. the straw helps. thanks for this board- the support is great.

I have been banded now for 8 days and im still having a tough time..I cant get motivated to do anything..I have no strenght at all...I cant find a Protein that I like so Im all out of sorts...I have lost to date 31 lbs since aug 9th..And had lost 27 during 13 day pre-op...and now have lost 4 in the last week..Food seems to be going down ok but I chew things up very well...Chewable Vitamins is a no-no for me too..Makes me sick..I hope this gets better...Im so frustrated right now....This is a tough journey:sad:

I was banded 9 days ago and I feel GREAT! I flet bloated from the gas for three days. It was uncomfortable but not painful. I stopped taking my pain meds after two days. Just hang in there and keep sipping! This site is a fount of info and encouragment.

As for the "what the hell have I done" I cannot help you. I have fought food so long that I was releived to have this tool in my pocket. Food has been your friend and confidante for a while and it is hard to give it up.

just don't give up.

I have been banded now for 8 days and im still having a tough time..I cant get motivated to do anything..I have no strenght at all...I cant find a Protein that I like so Im all out of sorts...I have lost to date 31 lbs since aug 9th..And had lost 27 during 13 day pre-op...and now have lost 4 in the last week..Food seems to be going down ok but I chew things up very well...Chewable Vitamins is a no-no for me too..Makes me sick..I hope this gets better...Im so frustrated right now....This is a tough journey:sad:

I am 2 weeks pre-op, but have been on the pre-op protien diet for a week now. The only protien drink that I can tolerate is the EAS carb advantage. I get it at wal mart. It tastes ok as long as it is cold. I cound not do any of the powder mixes. The one I buy is ready to drink. Hope this helps. Congratulations on the banding!!:blushing: